Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedChili
Wiki-update, September 2017, by RedChili:

Coop in Sweden has a membership program whereby you may collect points, which later can be converted to Eurobonus points. There are set specific intervals at which conversions may be made, but basically, the exchange rate is 10 Coop points to 1 EB point.

To become a Coop member, you need to pay SEK 100, which will give you a membership card that allows you to earn points when shopping in Coop, a few other physical stores, and on the Coop Internet shopping portal. The membership card itself will give you at least 0.5 points per SEK when shoppping at Coop, translating into 5 EB points per SEK 100. There's a points ladder, which means that for purchases above SEK 4500 per month, shoppers may get 5 points per SEK at Coop, translating into 50 EB points per SEK 100.

Coop has three cards that you can use to obtain points:

Coop Konto (Coop Account): It's a debit card that can only be used for shopping at Coop stores. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 (including what the membership gives).

Coop Betala Efter (Coop Pay After): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, and 0.25 points everywhere else, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 2.5 EG points everywhere else. There's a 1.75% currency conversion fee. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

Coop Mer (Coop More): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee for the first year, but a fee of SEK 348 thereafter. It gives 1 additional point per SEK at Coop, and 0.5 points per SEK everywhere else, which translates into a total of 15 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 5 EB points everywhere else. Unlike the Eurobonus AMEX cards which have 2% currency conversion fee, there's no currency conversion fee at all on this card, something which may make this card attractive for private purchases in other currencies. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

So, let's make a comparison between Amex Premium and Coop Mer when shopping for SEK 10.000 in other currencies: The Amex will cost you a total of SEK 10.200 and give 1500 EB points, while the Coop will cost a total of SEK 10.000 and give 500 EB points. By using the Amex, the extra 1000 EB points will actually cost you SEK 200.

Some select stores from the Coop Internet shopping portal (with points listed as EB points after conversion):

Hallon phone subscription: 500 EB welcome points, and 30 EB per month.
Hotels.com: 20 EB per SEK 100 (at the time of writing, there's a 50 EB campaign).
Tallink/Silja: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Adlibris: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Cdon.com: 10 EB per SEK 100.

It's fully possible for a Coop member to shop through the Coop Internet portal and double dip by paying with an Amex card or the Coop credit cards.

It's also possible to pay regular bills with Coop Mer through Betalo (see below), but they charge a 1% transaction fee when paying with Coop cards, and you only get 5 EB points per SEK 100, meaning that receiving 1000 EB points will cost you SEK 200 in Betalo fees.

!IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Beginning January 1st 2016, Betalo will charge 1% processing fess for charging to the MedMera COOP MasterCard

Here are the companies that you can't use betalo (please feel free to add in):

- SEB
- Ikano Kort
- AMEX
- PayEx (check your VVS bills (got one recently and they hand the bills handling to PayEx) - if the payment is big, you are definitely loose out some points)
- OkQ8
- Skatteverket (called them today and they said that COOP blocks payments to Skatteverket) - it's possible to use other cards
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold, ex-SwissŰtel Zenit (sigh)

I've been a longtime holder of both SAS EuroBonus American Express and SAS EuroBonus MasterCard, but recently I think I found a better points-earning solution and thought I'd share.

As you guys likely well know, the SAS EuroBonus American Express earns 20 EuroBonus points/100 SEK spent (i.e. 5 SEK/point) and costs 1000 kr/year (first year 500 kr); the MasterCard earns 10 EuroBonus points/100 SEK spent (i.e. 10 SEK/point) and costs 395 kr/year (first year free, waived for Gold/Diamond).

A month or so ago, Coop overhauled their membership program, and SAS is now a partner <https://www.coop.se/MedMera-kortet/Partnersidor/SAS/>. The exchange rate is listed as 60000 MedMera points to 12000 EuroBonus points. One of their payment cards, Coop MedMera Mer <https://www.coop.se/MedMera-kortet/B...t/MedMera-Mer/>, earns 1 MedMera point/1 SEK spent, up to 2 MedMera points/1 SEK at Coop and partners. At the above exchange rate, that's <5 SEK/point, which is just as good if not better as the AmEx. Plus, the Coop MedMera Mer is a MasterCard, which is more widely accepted than AmEx. The annual fee is only 249 kr/year (first year free), which is cheaper than either SAS card.

Additionally, Coop MedMera Mer is one of the partner cards at Betalo <https://www.betalo.se/pris-amp-korttyper-12.html>, a service that lets you pay Bankgiro/Plusgiro by credit card, which means (as far as I can tell) there is absolutely no charge for using it. That opens up even more points earning opportunities, e.g. when paying the rent, utilities, loans, etc.

Additionally #2, the Coop new membership program has a point-doubling incentive twice a year <https://www.coop.se/MedMera-kortet/S...la-dina-poang/>, so even more points. It only works on "basic" points earned at Coop, though.

The only unique benefit of the SAS EuroBonus AmEx is that 50% coupon, which is a pain to use. I've gotten them for the past 3 or 4 years now and never successfully used it once, because I tend to travel most at the end of the year (and the coupon expires before that), or because there's no reward seat availability when I do try to book something with it.

The SAS EuroBonus AmEx does seem to have best-in-class travel insurance. Fortunately I've never had to use it. Coop MedMera Mer also lists extended travel insurance as a benefit. A cursory glance finds that the SAS AmEx still wins but MedMera Mer coverage is sufficient for my needs.

A final benefit of the Coop MedMera Mer is that I was able to replace three cards in my wallet (the SAS AmEx, the SAS MasterCard, and my Coop medlemskort) with just the one.

I don't know how well the MedMera-to-EuroBonus exchange will actually work out when it goes live later this year, but based on all of the above, so far it seems like a no-brainer to switch. If I've missed anything, I would love to know.

Last edited by jrcplus; Aug 18, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reason: add hyperlinks
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by jrcplus

Additionally, Coop MedMera Mer is one of the partner cards at Betalo <https://www.betalo.se/pris-amp-korttyper-12.html>, a service that lets you pay Bankgiro/Plusgiro by credit card, which means (as far as I can tell) there is absolutely no charge for using it. That opens up even more points earning opportunities, e.g. when paying the rent, utilities, loans, etc.
This is actually an amazing deal... pay taxes, rent, cell phone invoice etc all via betalo I would easily earn 50k SEK / MedMara = 10k EuroBonus Points a month. You could even double dip and pay the invoice from other cards using that? US-ish times coming up in Sweden

Does this really work for ALL payment transfers to a Bankgiro/Plusgiro account?

I might swap out the EB Mastercard with this one as I have that one just in case AMEX is not accepted. I will still keep the AMEX since I use the 2-4-1 voucher every year. Anyway, I will wait until October to see if it really takes off.

Last edited by fassy; Aug 18, 2014 at 6:35 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Does this really work for ALL payment transfers to a Bankgiro/Plusgiro account?
I've only had it for a few days and tried to register a handful of payments. The only recipient that it didn't accept is the SAS EB MC (bankgiro 595-4300). It did accept SAS EB AmEx (bankgiro 730-8596), though my payment date hasn't hit yet.

One downside is that Betalo doesn't support Autogiro nor E-faktura, though they claim they're working on it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:05 am

Is this only good in Sweden?

Also, what is this 50% AMEX Coupon? Is that for Sweden only or Norway too?

Great review by the way.

Andy
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:14 am

I've only had it for a few days and tried to register a handful of payments. The only recipient that it didn't accept is the SAS EB MC (bankgiro 595-4300). It did accept SAS EB AmEx (bankgiro 730-8596), though my payment date hasn't hit yet.

One downside is that Betalo doesn't support Autogiro nor E-faktura, though they claim they're working on it.
Interesting. Did you try Telia or Skatteverket? My ridiculous high mobile phone invoices and tax payments could be great earners

@Andy

There is also the 2-4-1 offer with the Norwegian AMEX. It is even better than the Swedish one. They will discount an award flight by 50% if you exceed a certain payment threshold (I think 150k NOK). In Norway the discount all *A flights (at least for the Platinum card) and the voucher is good until end of the year while in Sweden it is only valid for SK operated flights and valid 12 month after issuing which is difficult as it makes it hard to use...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:23 am

Thanks for the reply. I have the Plat cards and just claimed for my 2-4-1 award flight. I could have gone with LH but the taxes alone where 4000nok each where as with SAS it was only 500nok each. The difference was SAS only had economy tickets left for my dates so the *A availability seems a bit of a con to me really. Unless I am doing something wrong?

Interesting. Did you try Telia or Skatteverket? My ridiculous high mobile phone invoices and tax payments could be great earners

@Andy

There is also the 2-4-1 offer with the Norwegian AMEX. It is even better than the Swedish one. They will discount an award flight by 50% if you exceed a certain payment threshold (I think 150k NOK). In Norway the discount all *A flights (at least for the Platinum card) and the voucher is good until end of the year while in Sweden it is only valid for SK operated flights and valid 12 month after issuing which is difficult as it makes it hard to use...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: EBG, Finnair
For Sweden only SAS metal is available, unless Platinum does not have other rules than for instance EBG for 2-4-1. One could hope that this would get some attention from Amex/SK. The 2-4-1 is not a pain - but an annoying limitation. I did some reading on the Coop card yesterday and also found the offer interesting, not being aware of the betalo solution.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Andyharris1
Thanks for the reply. I have the Plat cards and just claimed for my 2-4-1 award flight. I could have gone with LH but the taxes alone where 4000nok each where as with SAS it was only 500nok each. The difference was SAS only had economy tickets left for my dates so the *A availability seems a bit of a con to me really. Unless I am doing something wrong?
To really leverage the offer you need to fly long haul Business or First. Using the voucher on a economy ticket or a short haul flight is not worth it.

Of course you need to pay YQ (scam charges) on most *A carriers but if you book a LH First class flight over the pond it is more than worth paying the taxes and fuel surcharges. On economy the deal is bad... but this applies to all award bookings if you have to pay YQ.

The agents on the phone to book the flights are pretty useless for finding availability though. You need to look for flights with award space on your own and then call them and tell them which flights to book. This works pretty well and will give the voucher amazing value.

If you can only fly SK metal, since you have the Swedish card like I do, then finding award space in I is very hard and for some destinations like SFO pretty much impossible. so, the options to use the voucher are pretty limited but on the other side you could use them on an economy ticket on SK for a reasonable redemption as they won't charge YQ. Still not as nice as a I class award for two.

EDIT:// just applied for the card. first year is free, so I will test it especially for the Betalo option - which is great.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:53 am

Whats the best way to find availability on LH, please? The good thing is I can cancel the tickets anytime and get a full refund. I think I'll do that and try and find a First Class Seat somewhere. I've tried but cannot find anything.

To really leverage the offer you need to fly long haul Business or First. Using the voucher on a economy ticket or a short haul flight is not worth it.

Of course you need to pay YQ (scam charges) on most *A carriers but if you book a LH First class flight over the pond it is more than worth paying the taxes and fuel surcharges. On economy the deal is bad... but this applies to all award bookings if you have to pay YQ.

The agents on the phone to book the flights are pretty useless for finding availability though. You need to look for flights with award space on your own and then call them and tell them which flights to book. This works pretty well and will give the voucher amazing value.

If you can only fly SK metal, since you have the Swedish card like I do, then finding award space in I is very hard and for some destinations like SFO pretty much impossible. so, the options to use the voucher are pretty limited but on the other side you could use them on an economy ticket on SK for a reasonable redemption as they won't charge YQ. Still not as nice as a I class award for two.

EDIT:// just applied for the card. first year is free, so I will test it especially for the Betalo option - which is great.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:59 am

There are tools around to do this.

You could use the KVS tool: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lity-tool.html

I heard the ANA FFPs engine is pretty good as well: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...d-search-tool/

Or if you have some fixed date ranges in mind and know the destination you might post it here on FT (I would try the Star Alliance Forum or Information Desk) and ask the fellow people to help you out. Some around here have a pretty good talent finding availability (Btw, I'm not one of them ) and might be willing to help if you ask nicely.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I've successfully registered a Telia payment (BG: 820-0040) but the payment date hasn't arrived yet. I didn't try Skatteverket (BG: 5050-1055), but it seems to work!

You can go to https://www.betalo.se and start a dummy payment without even an account. Hit the big green "Betala direkt" button and just type a BG/PG number in the "SŲk mottagare" field.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:53 am

Hmmm, will try.

Thinking of it you could exploit the Skatteverket to get unlimited points... pay an unnecessary tax supplement using Betalo and let Skatteverket refund you, rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I guess that would be considered fraud and might end badly. But in the spirit of this board I couldn't deny not thinking about the possibility
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Found one downside: The 2x points for purchases at Coop does not include Coop Online. I called customer service and they confirmed this. Feel free to pile on with feedback to them
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:20 am

Too bad that I do not have any nice Coop around. Only a couple of small ones which I try to avoid as they have quite a poor selection, bad quality and the shops are dark, dirty and unorganized...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Found one downside: The 2x points for purchases at Coop does not include Coop Online. I called customer service and they confirmed this. Feel free to pile on with feedback to them
Ah, wait, I was wrong, and they were wrong! Looks like the 2x points did work for Coop Online. With normal Coop purchases, the "grundpošng" and "extrapošng" are shown together, but with Coop Online, they're posted separately, and I think there is a delay with the "grundpošng", or I must have overlooked them yesterday, and also the point values are different (the 49 kr delivery fee apparently doesn't qualify for "grundpošng", but that's OK).

All is well in Coop Online land.

Too bad that I do not have any nice Coop around. Only a couple of small ones which I try to avoid as they have quite a poor selection, bad quality and the shops are dark, dirty and unorganized...
That's too bad. Both ICA and HemkŲp are closer to where I live, but I've started making detours to shop at Coop (or use Coop Online) because points

Last edited by jrcplus; Aug 19, 2014 at 1:37 pm Reason: clarification

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.