Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:28 am

That is a different story. Downgrades happen. Even without a equipment swap, e.g. J or even F gets overbooked and by some weird alignment of stars actually everybody shows up.

But then you have the choice:
1) get rebooked on another flight
2) Take the offered compensation for voluntary downgrades
3) accept the mandatory 75% of the ticket price as compensation

SK doesn't bother to compensate or offer alternative routing when they swap in that plane and you just have to accept that. They do quite a lot to promote their fantastic J cabin and want to get a lot of money for it... then showing up with a worn old plane with sub-par cabin is not fair to the customer.

Just imagine you are leisure traveler and have saved 5 years to buy a J cabin ticket, then get bumped to LN-RKP and won't get a few lousy miles -not even taking about money- as compensation? I would be very disappointed - and never book SK again as well as tell everybody I know to spent the money elsewhere.

Same goes for the business traveler... just that somebody else pays.

In the end not a great marketing for SK. And the snobbish and arrogant attitude from the execs is more like salt into the wounds. They should be apologetic and try to explain their problem as well as offer decent compensation. I think, like 15.000 Extra points in J, 7.500 in Plus and 3000 in Go would be fair for suffering though LN-RKP.

Last edited by fassy; Jun 5, 2017 at 6:28 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by fassy
All LH planes have the same business class cabin hard product.

True, some have lost the First cabin but only a few destinations are a problem where you might have booked First and a plane without First might be swapped in. And in those cases that happens weeks before leaving time for reschedule.
Correct.

Hard product in J on LH *is the same*.

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
All airlines have older aircraft where the cabin don't have the same layout or standard as the newer once, and they are using these as spare. Over the last 2 years, I've made 8 long haul round trips with LH to a destination SK doesn't fly too. I don't think I've been in the same bird twice, and the standard has varied a lot. Some of the birds e.g don't have first class at all.
??

So you were booked in F and had to fly in C on LH then?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: More than one
That is a different story. Downgrades happen. Even without a equipment swap, e.g. J or even F gets overbooked and by some weird alignment of stars actually everybody shows up.

But then you have the choice:
1) get rebooked on another flight
2) Take the offered compensation for voluntary downgrades
3) accept the mandatory 75% of the ticket price as compensation

SK doesn't bother to compensate or offer alternative routing when they swap in that plane and you just have to accept that. They do quite a lot to promote their fantastic J cabin and want to get a lot of money for it... then showing up with a worn old plane with sub-par cabin is not fair to the customer.

Just imagine you are leisure traveler and have saved 5 years to buy a J cabin ticket, then get bumped to LN-RKP and won't get a few lousy miles -not even taking about money- as compensation? I would be very disappointed - and never book SK again as well as tell everybody I know to spent the money elsewhere.

Same goes for the business traveler... just that somebody else pays.

In the end not a great marketing for SK. And the snobbish and arrogant attitude from the execs is more like salt into the wounds. They should be apologetic and try to explain their problem as well as offer decent compensation. I think, like 15.000 Extra points in J, 7.500 in Plus and 3000 in Go would be fair for suffering though LN-RKP.
I honestly don't think SK worries to much about the leisure traveler who have saved 5 years to be on J. There aren't many of them.

That said it's a long time since I last had a trip on LN-RKP, but I don't recall it being that bad, except for the plus cabin, which as far as I know recently have been upgraded with spare seats from the other SK birds.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
??

So you were booked in F and had to fly in C on LH then?
I wish I was so lucky. With my company policy I'm happy when I get to fly at all.

It doesn't really matter whether I've been bumped down or not. The point is. All airlines have aircraft's with lower cabin quality, which they use as spare when one of the main aircraft's have a fault or need to be maintained. Those who don't leave passengers stranded when they have a faulty aircraft.

I'm normally stuck on eco when I fly LH, and here I've seen great differences in the cabin quality. On my last trip back in March, the entertainment screens looked like they were +15 years old. They looked a lot like the screens in the SK birds before they were refurbished, and to top it off, the one at my seat didn't work properly. It had brown dark stripes across the screen. This comes from overheating over time. It's not a sudden incident which couldn't be fixed during the last maintenance.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:03 am

You are just wrong. All LH planes have exactly the same standard J cabin (plus minus two or three years of age).

The only thing is that some planes have lost the first cabin. And then LH doesn't sell First on those flights or accomendates passengers which have booked F well ahead of time.

As I said, the very least is to be a bit apologetic and help perhaps offer some compensation. SK misses on both and that makes me angry...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
You are just wrong. All LH planes have exactly the same standard J cabin (plus minus two or three years of age).

The only thing is that some planes have lost the first cabin. And then LH doesn't sell First on those flights or accomendates passengers which have booked F well ahead of time.

As I said, the very least is to be a bit apologetic and help perhaps offer some compensation. SK misses on both and that makes me angry...
And when everything else fails, the SAS apologists will roll out the desperate "but look at Norwegian" line to try to deflect from the SAS shortcomings.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Back when the Plus crowd was accommodated in standard seats, I seem to remember that there was a compensation.

But in J what are you actually loosing? Aisle access from all seats and WiFi? IFE is moved to a tablet? I think that's about it.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Back when the Plus crowd was accommodated in standard seats, I seem to remember that there was a compensation.

But in J what are you actually loosing? Aisle access from all seats and WiFi? IFE is moved to a tablet? I think that's about it.
Older more worn seat - although new fabric has been added recently. I clearly prefer the new cabin - but it is lie flat. IFE is on screens - but with limited content compared to standard SK. Otherwise it is marginal IMHO.

Plus is still a real step down IMHO compared to the new Plus. In Economy I seem to remember that pitch is larger on LN-RKP - but have never been in Economy on this bird
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:20 am

In short: comfort.

One of the things I value most in the new J cabin is the all-aisle access and pretty decent privacy in the window rows.

I know, LH doesn't shine here but that's the reason I'm not booking LH long haul J if there are decent alternatives. But at least you know exactly what you 'll get when you book.

As I said, it is not the end of the world and truely a first world problem but if I pay top dollar (and SK is often much more expensive than the competition on my routes) I expect them to hold up their end of the deal.

and I wouldn't complain I they use the spare here and then. They use it quite regular on popular routes and I would bet not only when a regular plane craps out but even during maintenance checks or to fill in for even minor delays. They cut their costs on the cost of the paying customers.... I don't think is fair.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Older more worn seat - although new fabric has been added recently. I clearly prefer the new cabin - but it is lie flat. IFE is on screens - but with limited content compared to standard SK. Otherwise it is marginal IMHO.

Plus is still a real step down IMHO compared to the new Plus. In Economy I seem to remember that pitch is larger on LN-RKP - but have never been in Economy on this bird
And Wifi is also very important...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:38 pm

Very true - wonder why I have not noticed that. Maybe the pure joy of 9 hours without e-mail overflowing my inbox :-)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I appreciate WiFi when I fly, but as I rarely use it for business purposes and as more than half of my long haul flying are night flights I would not call it "very important".

But it was in my list of things that are missing when getting on LN-RKP....
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:40 pm

Unfortunately had this dog from CPH-EWR a few months back. Worse than I expected. The in-seat entertainment system didn't work... on any seat. They passed out tablets to business class which tells me they knew nothing worked before we boarded but didn't tell anyone. People who didnt have a book were losing their minds - had SAS informed us prior to departure passengers could have picked something up at the airport. Instead most were left playing tic tac toe on napkins for 9.5 hours.

What a disgrace.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by VFR2EWR
Unfortunately had this dog from CPH-EWR a few months back. Worse than I expected. The in-seat entertainment system didn't work... on any seat. They passed out tablets to business class which tells me they knew nothing worked before we boarded but didn't tell anyone. People who didnt have a book were losing their minds - had SAS informed us prior to departure passengers could have picked something up at the airport. Instead most were left playing tic tac toe on napkins for 9.5 hours.

What a disgrace.
Had exactly the same experience Friday evening EWR-CPH. Does anyone have a good email or physical address to send SAS a note. It was terrible, they didn't tell anyone prior to boarding, and the FAs were apologetic, because they knew they were delivering a substandard experience.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I entirely understand that this is unacceptable. This is not a comment about SK, but about my travel habits. I *never* count on the airline keeping me busy in flight. I always plan work, reading, entertainment myself, and only use IFE as a backup. Am I over-preparing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.