Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Frisco Eateries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Zuni has been my favorite Frisco restaurant for more than 2 decades.
Big thumbs-up to Zuni: it was a real Frisco treat! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
And you still didn't get the hint about calling it Frisco
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Bacar and Original Joe's are on my list of where to avoid.

Bacar, because they are known for their wines, sommelier dissed our selection, advised his, he and his flashlight could not find his one overpriced bottle on the wall of wine, came back and told us our original choce was actually quite good. Duh. Food not special either, and the huge winds through the entrance were horrendous. We dined a la snow jacket after retrieving them from the coat check.

Original Joes. Tried them twice, wanted it to work. Giant pretty good beef burgers on rather tough sourdough roll. Eh, okay. Old people who make your mother look young hanging out at the bar. Drinks are only $3, which is all they are worth. Steaks? Would never try one here. Guaranteed they will fill your plate but be thin and overcooked. It's a classic, but a bad one.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:58 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by BillScann
I'm in Cali once a month or so on business, usually in Frisco. ...
I'm used to the Frisco image of ageing drunken sailors with hairy arms sporting faded tattoos wandering the City in white bell-bottoms, and if that's what you're looking for I'm sure there is something to suit, but what is with this Cali thing that's become so common? I've lived here over 35 years, and when someone says Cali I think of Columbia and drug wars.

CA, Cal, SoCal, NoCal, but please not Cali. Thank you. JMHO
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by lili
I'm sure there is something to suit, but what is with this Cali thing that's become so common? I've lived here over 35 years, and when someone says Cali I think of Columbia and drug wars. CA, Cal, SoCal, NoCal, but please not Cali. Thank you. JMHO
So true, so true...... it's just a bunch of non-Californians desperately wanting to seem "cool" by affecting a trite, hackneyed 'lingo' popularized on mediocre sports gabfests like those on ESPN and (especially) the Jim Rome show. Hint - there's a reason that Rome calls his sycophant listeners "clones" (and the idiots lap it up).
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
So true, so true...... it's just a bunch of non-Californians desperately wanting to seem "cool" by affecting a trite, hackneyed 'lingo' popularized on mediocre sports gabfests like those on ESPN and (especially) the Jim Rome show.
I think "Frisco" falls squarely into this category as well.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by par8thed
I think "Frisco" falls squarely into this category as well.
Is it sharp pain when you read "Frisco"? Or more of a dull ache?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
the topic is eateries....

we could debate frisco vs san francsico for eons...but let's not. please stick to the topic of restaurants..

thanks all!

squeakr
MOD SFO
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by BillScann
My taste in food -with the exception of oriental cuisine- is pretty catholic. Excluding liquor, $50-75 pp.
Uh, FYI - "oriental" is pretty much an archaic term to refer to the cuisines, peoples and cultures of East Asia. As an person of Asian ancestry, I like to point that out. Oriental is nowadays pretty much used to describe certain types of patterned rugs. I don't care if you don't like my home cuisine but call it for what it is.

I think others have already pointed out that real dyed-in-the-wool locals dislike the term Frisco (I think the late columnist Herb Caen may have been behind that) being applied to their city.

(rant over).
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Original Joes. Tried them twice, wanted it to work. Giant pretty good beef burgers on rather tough sourdough roll. Eh, okay. Old people who make your mother look young hanging out at the bar. Drinks are only $3, which is all they are worth. Steaks? Would never try one here. Guaranteed they will fill your plate but be thin and overcooked. It's a classic, but a bad one.
I can't say if this is true for the San Francisco eatery, but I like the San Jose Original Joes' just because it is such a throwback to the old school days and it's been there when things weren't so good for downtown San Jose. Waiters in jackets and ties (and most of whom have been there for 10, 20, 30 years). Huge portions.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:00 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by silverkris168
I can't say if this is true for the San Francisco eatery, but I like the San Jose Original Joes' just because it is such a throwback to the old school days and it's been there when things weren't so good for downtown San Jose. Waiters in jackets and ties (and most of whom have been there for 10, 20, 30 years). Huge portions.
I was being overly harsh. Sorry. You have pegged it perfectly and more kindly, and it really is a classic. (I'm still not overly fond of the food, but it is an experience.)
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:48 pm

I was being overly harsh. Sorry. You have pegged it perfectly and more kindly, and it really is a classic. (I'm still not overly fond of the food, but it is an experience.)
Personally, I thought your first post was on the money.

Is one looking for a good meal or an experience? Personally, I'm looking for a good meal. I've yet to get that at OJ/San Jose.

Is the remodel done yet? Maybe it will bring a new chef too.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For anyone who uses the term Frisco I would highly recommend the following:

Mel's Diner (any location)
Homeless Macs (a/k/a Mcdonald's) on van ness near city hall or any market street location
Jardiniere (way overpriced obnoxious)
Alioto's No 8 or Citizen Cake (a small fortune wasted)
Michelangelo Cafe on Columbus
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For anyone who uses the term Frisco I would highly recommend the following:

Mel's Diner (any location)
Homeless Macs (a/k/a Mcdonald's) on van ness near city hall or any market street location
Jardiniere (way overpriced obnoxious)
Alioto's No 8 or Citizen Cake (a small fortune wasted)
Michelangelo Cafe on Columbus
Don't forget the Hard Rock at Pier 39, and Rainforest Cafe in Fisherman's Wharf.

Oh, and there's a TGI Fridays there too.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:12 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
my favorite italian

allegro romanos, small place, sometimes hard to get into, but def worth it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.