Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Frisco Eateries

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Recommended Frisco Eateries

I'm in Cali once a month or so on business, usually in Frisco. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where one can have a non Asian/Fusion dinner blissfully free of bok choy or hoisin in an upscale environment there?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Frisco Kid was a friend of mine.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I don't believe we cover Frisco, Texas, in this forum.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
In case you didn't get the hints above, BillScann, you're not supposed to call it Frisco. I don't know why we're supposed to have such a negative reaction to that nickname for The City (or ess-eff, or San Fran), but that's the typical reaction you'll get around here.

As for your question, maybe you could suggest your favorite cuisines (we know what you don't like), and a price range.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we have a Caribou Coffee on Gough.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dhuey
In case you didn't get the hints above, BillScann, you're not supposed to call it Frisco.
Related thread:
My 2008 Resolution: To Refer to SF as 'Frisco'.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Hey, I'm just doing my part to help you people (insert feel-good emoticon here).

Now back to the subject of the OP...
Originally Posted by dhuey
As for your question, maybe you could suggest your favorite cuisines (we know what you don't like), and a price range.
My taste in food -with the exception of oriental cuisine- is pretty catholic. Excluding liquor, $50-75 pp.

Last edited by BillScann; Dec 31, 2007 at 11:16 pm Reason: added info
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: UA GS
BillScann, I don't know what "pretty catholic" means, but there are hundreds of restaurants that could fit your criteria. Just guessing, even among "Western" cuisine, you have Modern Am, Am Regional, Cal-Med, Cal-French, Fine Am, it goes on and on.

If you're in California once a month, it might do you good to buy a Zagat Survey for SF, otherwise pick up a San Francisco Magazine and flip to the back for restaurants (or go online).

One of my favorites is Traci Des Jardins' restaurant, Jardiniere (300 Grove), though it might be more than $75 pp.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ace26
BillScann, I don't know what "pretty catholic" means
cath·o·lic (kth-lk, kthlk)
adj.
1. Of broad or liberal scope
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, IHG Platinum, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
Originally Posted by tom911
Howling at that one. The point is no one who actually lives here ever calls it that. Getting back to the OP's question, the following will be helpful - just go to www.sfgate.com - click on Food&Dining on the left, and go to the Top 100 Restaurants under Resources. You can sort by cuisines and locations. There is a lot of Asian influences here, but House Of Prime Rib would probably do the job nicely for you. Zuni Cafe also. You will find many good options.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Here are a few great options IMHO:

Absinth in Hayes Valley on Hayes, is a great Brasserie with what I would describe as Cal/French cuisine. They also have a great bar! http://www.absinthe.com/

If you're in the mood for Italian, Ristorante Milano in Russian hill is a small little place with delicious Northern Italian food. Their gnocchi is absolutely the best I've ever had in my life, and they have a good selection of Italian wines. http://www.milanosf.com/

1550 Hyde is a small but amazing restaurant with great wine selection. Their menu changes daily, but the sample menu link will give you an idea of what they're getting at. Absolutely amazing food. (don't let the non .com site address scare you, the best places in SF are tiny and hard to find) http://home.earthlink.net/~zootster/id1.html

I'd recommend reservations for all of these. Enjoy!

-W
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
If you're ever in the mood for Coffee and a pastry, I'd very highly recommend any of the Boulange's throughout the city (yes...its a small chain but its incredible). They're Canneles de Bordeaux are out of this world (little crunchy/creamy pastries). Located in Hayes Valley, Cole Valley, Pac Heights, and I'm not exactly sure where else.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:23 am
2mg

Well if someone else is footing the bill (business expense) try Gary Danko.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by ebayj
Howling at that one. The point is no one who actually lives here ever calls it that. Getting back to the OP's question, the following will be helpful - just go to www.sfgate.com - click on Food&Dining on the left, and go to the Top 100 Restaurants under Resources. You can sort by cuisines and locations. There is a lot of Asian influences here, but House Of Prime Rib would probably do the job nicely for you. Zuni Cafe also. You will find many good options.
Second that. The search features by cuisine, price and location on the page are good. It's a good eating town. The competition if fierce. The result is 100's of restaurants not in the top 100 that are very inexpensive and excellent. Examples of national cuisine from Central America to Asia to ... well, you name it, abound in great hole in the wall places in the neighborhoods.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My Favorite Neighborhood Place in SF

The Gold Mirror, at the corner of Taraval Street and 18th Avenue, in the Sunset District. My family has been eating at this place for more than 30 years (I'm a native of the Bay Area; I've been in exile here in the DC area for a long time). Italian dinners, great veal and pasta, prime rib dinners on the weekends, fair prices. For those that don't have a car and are staying downtown, this place is convenient, as you can take the Muni Metro "L" train from one of the stations underneath Market Street, and the train stops opposite the Safeway market which is across 18th Avenue from the restaurant. For those with a car, it is located one block east of the major north-south through route in the entire city, 19th Avenue (also known as Route 1).

Another wonderful San Francisco institution which is not a tourist joint is the Double Play, at 16th and Bryant, catty corner from where historic Seals Stadium once stood (the Giants played there in 1958 and 1959 before moving to Candlestick). They don't serve dinner, but they serve hearty lunches and honest drinks (the bloody marys are custom blended), and they have wonderful sports memorabilia in there. There's been a tavern on that site for 99 years (they opened in 1909).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.