Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyhen
I will be arriving at SFO with UA this friday morning. However, my ride probably wont be picking me up until 2 hours later. I wonder, is there any place that I can do some plane spotting within the airport?
Which terminal? T3 has some decent runway views. If not T3, riding the redline Airtrain around the airport provides some decent runway views, as well.

The best plane spotting is from locations that are nearby but not walkable from the airport. The airport Marriott and the greenway around it are great locations for plane spotting.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
Which terminal? T3 has some decent runway views. If not T3, riding the redline Airtrain around the airport provides some decent runway views, as well.

The best plane spotting is from locations that are nearby but not walkable from the airport. The airport Marriott and the greenway around it are great locations for plane spotting.
thanks, nevermind it, i will be diverting to SMF instead.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Hi all,
I've read through this thread and like many posters, will be arriving on SQ16 from ICN at 1245PM with a 7PM connecting flight. I have access to the UA domestic lounge but that place often resembles a refugee camp during the holiday periods.

I will be tagging my bags through to my final destination but will still have my briefcase and carry-on which I'm not too keen on lugging around town.

The perfect situation for me would be to get a room at a nearby hotel at a decent half-day rate as I'm often pretty low on energy after long hauls.

I contacted the Hyatt Regency and aLoft at SFO and both quoted me over $200 for the half day rate. Is this normal?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:05 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
I will be tagging my bags through to my final destination but will still have my briefcase and carry-on which I'm not too keen on lugging around town.
There is a staffed luggage storage area, in the departures level of the international terminal.

I contacted the Hyatt Regency and aLoft at SFO and both quoted me over $200 for the half day rate. Is this normal?
Hotel rates have been unusually high lately. There is a decent Four Points near the airport usually available at 7k Starpoints/night. There are also several IHG properties that are sometimes available on their Best Rate Guarantee for a free night. But I'd really be tempted to just stow the luggage and head up to the city. You could get up to a low-stress tourist area like Fisherman's Wharf in an hour or so and have a few hours to walk around before heading back.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:46 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
I have a stopover in SFO for an upcoming MR. Arrive 22:50 and depart at 10:05. Now my bodyclock will be on UK time of around 8am!

So the question is, do I sleep? Is there anything to see at night? Is it safe to go 'exploring' after midnight? What do you locals suggest?

I have already booked the Holiday Inn Express at the airport as I needed an address for my ESTA.

No checked baggage so this might allow me to get out of SFO (if the flight from ORD isnt delayed) before midnight.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
I have a stopover in SFO for an upcoming MR. Arrive 22:50 and depart at 10:05. Now my bodyclock will be on UK time of around 8am!

So the question is, do I sleep? Is there anything to see at night? Is it safe to go 'exploring' after midnight? What do you locals suggest?

I have already booked the Holiday Inn Express at the airport as I needed an address for my ESTA.

No checked baggage so this might allow me to get out of SFO (if the flight from ORD isnt delayed) before midnight.
There isn't much to do at that time. The train service stops running somewhere around then, so you'd have to take a taxi to SFO (about $40). Besides bars, parties, and such, there won't be much to do in SFO, either.

If I were you, I'd go to the hotel and somehow try to pass the time. Btw., you don't need to make a reservation just for ESTA purposes. Any address will do. Even a hotel's address where you may or may not show up as a walkup later.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by sba110
There isn't much to do at that time. The train service stops running somewhere around then, so you'd have to take a taxi to SFO (about $40). Besides bars, parties, and such, there won't be much to do in SFO, either.
That was my feeling. Maybe I can find somewhere to eat and grab a shower and a few hours sleep.

Regarding the address for the ESTA, I really didnt do much research. This MR is kinda last minute and will be my first time in the US (although very briefly). Will know for next time!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:35 am

That was my feeling. Maybe I can find somewhere to eat and grab a shower and a few hours sleep.

Regarding the address for the ESTA, I really didnt do much research. This MR is kinda last minute and will be my first time in the US (although very briefly). Will know for next time!
A hotel is probably a good choice. There are a lot of things to do around SFO - it's a beautiful area, especially if you drive over the mountains to Half Moon Bay or across the Golden Gate to Marin. The freeway to SFO gets very busy with commuter traffic in the morning, so if you did that sometime in the future, it's best to leave a lot of time.

Getting to SFO so late can be a bit depressing as it can seem quite deserted. If you don't mind fast food, you could stop at the ever popular In n Out Burger a few minutes' taxi ride away from the airport. It's sort of like GBK in the UK (not quite as nice, but better than McD etc.).

You'll have to fill out a green customs form on the plane. Also, you can "opt out" of body scanners in the US (and, as of last Friday, you can do so in the UK as well) if you want. Security at the international terminal is often using them. The "security" TSA goons at the airport are much worse than even the LHR screeners. If you have lounge access, the Cathay Pacific lounge in the international terminal is probably best.

I hope it goes well.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:41 am

If you need to adjust to the time change, it would be a good idea to immediately sleep. But if you're returning back to Europe right away, don't bother.

Otherwise, bars in SF close at 2am. So you could probably squeeze out a visit to one or two before the clock runs out.

That time of night, there isn't much traffic. If you really wanted to give this a try, the best move would be to rent a car at the airport and drive to Fisherman's Wharf. It's the safest part of the city to wander alone at night and, although not especially "authentic", at least a few bars should still be open.

Then priceline a hotel near the airport and get a little sleep. Or watch TV.

Will you be in town on a weeknight or weekend?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
If you need to adjust to the time change, it would be a good idea to immediately sleep. But if you're returning back to Europe right away, don't bother.

Otherwise, bars in SF close at 2am. So you could probably squeeze out a visit to one or two before the clock runs out.

That time of night, there isn't much traffic. If you really wanted to give this a try, the best move would be to rent a car at the airport and drive to Fisherman's Wharf. It's the safest part of the city to wander alone at night and, although not especially "authentic", at least a few bars should still be open.

Saturday night! Then Sunday the travel back to Europe starts. As little adjustment to timezones the better is my feeling. So a few beers could be a great option!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't drive unless the poster is interested in a driving tour of the city (not great at night). Also, I don't think Fisherman's Wharf is actually a very safe part of the city. It's certainly safer than other parts, but I think most of the crime directed a tourists happens down there because tourists are the only people who go there.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Airport Restaurants You'd Sprint Through Terminals to Reach

This article in today's WSJ recommends grabbing a bite at Cat Cora's Kitchen, in Terminal 2 (Gate 55):
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...22690270418718
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC*E
I have a 12 hr layover in SFO on Feb 9

this is what i have planned. i'll be traveling alone, so meals won't take too long.

i'm asking for validation mainly because i already booked the rental and the alcatraz ticket...

arrive on AC737 @ 1130 (scheduled)

pick up rental car from Hertz by 1230? Reading through many threads I see that most people don't recommend driving, but I already booked the rental via Priceline...

Have brunch at Market & Rye around 115? Finish by 230 latest, including if I have to wait for a spot at the restaurant.

Alcatraz "night tour" 3:30 - 7:00 (return ferry departs at 640)

Dinner at Misson Chinese Food 7:30 (finish by 9 latest, will bail to Lers Ros in case wait at Mission Chinese Food is too long)

Drive back to SFO. drop off rental car and head to terminal around 10

Grab shower at SQ lounge before my BR flight to HKG via TPE @ 00:15
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by C_snapper
I have a 12 hr layover in SFO on Feb 9
Does your flight have immigration pre-clearance in Canada?

The key will be pre-planning the parking to make the times work. Parking meters ARE enforced Sunday afternoons until 6pm, which could be both good and bad: more parking should be available but you may have to find some US coins to pay the meters.

• Market and Rye: The Potrero Hill location should have decent street parking available on a Sunday, especially just north and west of that location. Most of it is unmetered.
  • Alcatraz Pier 33: There are two garages nearby with $10 flat rate parking on Sundays, at 55 or 80 Francisco Street
  • Mission Chinese Food (at Mission and 16th?): Parking is always a pain in the neck around this area. There is a city garage at 16th and Hoff for $2.50/hour but it's not very big. Plan a buffer of 20 min to look for parking.

It would be a good idea to bring as little luggage with you as possible and leave none of it in the car. All three of those locations are high-risk for car break-ins. Also, consider accepting the smallest car possible at Hertz, since it'll be easier to park.

For parking, see also: http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC*E
Does your flight have immigration pre-clearance in Canada?

The key will be pre-planning the parking to make the times work. Parking meters ARE enforced Sunday afternoons until 6pm, which could be both good and bad: more parking should be available but you may have to find some US coins to pay the meters.

• Market and Rye: The Potrero Hill location should have decent street parking available on a Sunday, especially just north and west of that location. Most of it is unmetered.
  • Alcatraz Pier 33: There are two garages nearby with $10 flat rate parking on Sundays, at 55 or 80 Francisco Street
  • Mission Chinese Food (at Mission and 16th?): Parking is always a pain in the neck around this area. There is a city garage at 16th and Hoff for $2.50/hour but it's not very big. Plan a buffer of 20 min to look for parking.

It would be a good idea to bring as little luggage with you as possible and leave none of it in the car. All three of those locations are high-risk for car break-ins. Also, consider accepting the smallest car possible at Hertz, since it'll be easier to park.

For parking, see also: http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/
I'll be flying out of YYZ where I'll clear custom there, so I'll won't have to do that in San Francisco.

and thank you thank you thank you. those are solid advice. i don't mind paying for parking, i'll still keep an eye out for a block or two, but knowing that the lots are there is good.

what will traffic be like on Sunday? will it be the dreaded california traffic, or it'll be pretty light?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.