Consolidated "Showers at SFO" thread [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Review: Public Shower Rooms at SFO Hairport

I've never seen any reviews or specific comments on the showers at the SFO International terminal, so I decided to check them out last week on a long layover.

For those who don't know, the showers are located within the SFO Hairport salon located in the International Terminal. If you're on the "G Gates" side of the terminal, head toward the escalators (opposite the entrance to the BART terminal). Left of the escalators is an overhang hallway that leads to the salon. As far as I'm aware, these are the only public shower facilities within SFO. Unfortunately, the salon (and showers) close up somewhat early. Hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday.

I arrived in the early afternoon and asked the woman at the desk about taking a shower. She said the rate was $11.00 USD. This is a rather high price, and I asked if I could see them first, to which she responded, "No. It's just a shower." I asked if the $11 was for a specific time limit, and she said no, however "If you're in there for 2 or 3 hours I'm going to come and get you."

So don't expect great customer service for your $11, but as I was on a FT mission to explore the showers, I opted to pony up the cost and check it out.

I think there are 3 separate shower rooms. Each is about 6 feet by 9 feet (perhaps 2/3 the size of the nice shower rooms at the UA RCC in NRT). However they aren't nearly as nice looking as most airport lounge shower rooms. Each one is a single-level tiled room, with a drain, partially divided, with a sink, and then a small shelf/seat. There is a curtain separating the shower from the rest of the room, so there's no chance your luggage will get wet.

I did notice there was no lock on the door of the room. I assume the shower matron notes which shower(s) are in use, and if the door is closed, that generally means it's not available. I mention this in case it's an issue for someone, however, and I did keep an eye on my stuff throughout my shower.

As I mentioned, the facility itself isn't pretty. Think typical dorm room shower. It was clean, however. The only amenities provided are a towel (smelled and looked clean) and a small bar of soap. The Hairport sells pretty much every other basic shower/hygeine supply you could need, however - though you'll pay typical airport price. I did wish that a bathmat or second towel would be provided, and perhaps I will make this request if I return.

Overall, the shower was a good experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again when traveling through SFO. The price is a little steep - then again, what isn't in the international terminal (except for BART)? But if you're looking for a decent place to get clean, then it is certainly that - decent.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Thanks for the review -- I was always curious about the "Hairport" showers.

It's a shame that more US airports don't offer type of service (even if it is dorm grade. )

Last edited by cblaisd; May 6, 2007 at 11:35 am Reason: Removed complete quote of previous post for readability purposes
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for the review. $11 seems like a revenue optimizing price to me. Go north of that and many will take a pass. It's low enough, low, that those who want a shower will pay it.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Airside or Landside?

Many thanks for the review. (or sacrifice? )

Is this place before or after security?
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before security.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Mileage Plus 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold

I'm a 1K flying upgraded Biz on Lufthansa 454 from FRA to SFO. I have to make it to a wedding 2 hours after I land in SFO, so I really really need to find a shower at the airport. I've used United's arrivals lounge before, but can I still use it even though I flew Lufthansa?
If not, are there other Star Alliance lounges with showers that I can use?!
Thanks!
Stinky in Milan....
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, you can't use the UA Arrivals, since you are on LH. I can't think of any other lounge you could use for a shower.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I thought you can purchase a day pass to the Arrivals Lounge for $50?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
The international terminal at SFO has a barbershop called the "hairport" they have private (1 room) showers that you can use for like $10 or $15. but take your own soap/shampoo, they charge a BIG premium if you buy thiers.
I used it on my last PVG-SFO flight and it was not too bad.

Edited: once you have your luggage and clear customs go toward the main terminal, instead of turning right to go to the terminal turn left and go UP the stairs (or esclator) make 2 quick rights and they are on the left.

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Aug 4, 2006 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flysfo.com/guide_nonflash...nfo/faq.htm#13
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
The international terminal at SFO has a barbershop called the "hairport" they have private (1 room) showers that you can use for like $10 or $15. but take your own soap/shampoo, they charge a BIG premium if you buy thiers.
I used it on my last PVG-SFO flight and it was not too bad.
I have also used this facility once onver the past 3 or 4 years. I agree with the previous poster the facility was acceptable and was much appreciated although unknown to the folks I had to meet a bit later in the day.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
If you have a golf membership anywhere with a country club....find the closest Golf club to the wedding; if you show your local home membership card they will usually comp you and let you use the locker room. Explaining you have to be at a wedding. Very nice folks world wide.... Worked for me once in West Marin County when all the hotels were full; though it was a funeral. [Works with Yacht clubs too]
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Pegasus23
if you show your local home membership card they will usually comp you and let you use the locker room.
This is typical, but a significant tip (at least $20) is usually the expected compensation.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
If you have a golf membership anywhere with a country club....find the closest Golf club to the wedding; if you show your local home membership card they will usually comp you and let you use the locker room. Explaining you have to be at a wedding. Very nice folks world wide.... Worked for me once in West Marin County when all the hotels were full; though it was a funeral. [Works with Yacht clubs too]
How clever. I have never considered your suggestion but unfortuantly, this would not have been an option in my particualr case at that particular time due to timing and location issues.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

My biggest concern here would not necessarily be the shower, but landing ater an international flight and having to be at a wedding two hours later. That's cutting it pretty close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.