Wiki Posts
Search

SFO hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
SFO hotel

Any recommendations for an SFO airport hotel that has a bit of local walkable night life near? only bars and eating places not downtown type action. Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Bars/Restaurants near SFO

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
Any recommendations for an SFO airport hotel that has a bit of local walkable night life near? only bars and eating places not downtown type action. Thanks.
Hmmm...SFO is pretty much in a no-mans-land. The nearest town is South San Francisco, which has a 'downtown' strip consisting of a few coffee places, a sandwich cafe, a few chinese places and some Mexican grocery stores (and some dive bars). But there are no hotels located 'on the strip' in SSF (that's South San Francisco if you need a quick way to abbreviate it).

Here are some places that I stayed
1. A La Quinta Inn..this is actually the closest hotel to the 'downtown' SSF. I have stayed here (about 5 years ago). It is next to highway 101...and I mean 'next to' as in you will look at the freeway. It's a budget hotel, not really a business traveller hotel.

2. An Embassy Suites. This is separated from downtown SSF by the 101 freeway...you could walk from here to downtown SSF in about 10 - 15 minutes...if you don't mind walking underneath a freeway underpass. But it's a nicer hotel than the La Quinta.

There is also a Hilton Garden Inn near the Embassy Suites, but I've never stayed there. Add 10 min to the walk time to SSF.

If you want to go further afield, there is a strip of hotels located south of the airport. Here you find the major chain hotels...Hyatt, Marriott, some Starwood property. Your options will be 'walk from hotel to hotel'. There are also some other restaurants in the area, ex. Elephant bar which offers a view of the planes landing at SFO.

The other towns near the airport (besides SSF) are San Bruno and Millbrae. Millbrae is connected to the airport by the airport BART. Millbrae also has a 'downtown' with some restaurants and coffee shops. However your hotel options here would be of the Best Western variety. I've never stayed at any hotels here so I can't vouch for them...but they look like the budget traveller variety. San Bruno has fewer options than Millbrae and is further away on BART.

Would you consider staying at a local airport hotel and taking BART to SF? Most local airport hotels have a shuttle that can take you to the nearest BART station (probabably either the airport itself or Millbrae)...
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Alinlondon
IC Crowne Plaza online reserve Entertainment Book (they don't ask for the card) rate at half price, plus $10 to upgrade to club level. Decent breakfast for two and two drink chits. About $50 all in. Free parking also. Hotel isn't particularly nice, (lobby sucks, rooms okay.) but you can walk or take a cab to Main Street Burlingame, just a few blocks away. Nice little town, has bars and restaurants located around a central downtown shopping street. I've only eaten at Il Fornaio there. Or for upscale dining, take a cab to Kincaid's a few blocks south of the hotel. Pricey steaks, but nice place and great bar. On the water. Hotel is also adjacent to rather nice neighborhood park. There are lots of probably better hotels in this same area. Just check any of the major chains for Burlingame locations.

I also agree with previous poster. Walk out of airport, turn left, take BART downtown (avoid the AirTrain to BART, it's not necessary and inconvenient) to a Pricelined 4-star hotel. Grand Hyatt on Union Square is going for $100. Or probably less, but I have no patience with bidding.

Enjoy. I like Burlingame, and it's on the CalTrain line. If you're not up for downtown, this is a nice upscale small town place.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:45 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once chatted with a few friendly hookers having a drink in a Burlingame bar before going "on duty" at the strip of hotels south of the airport -- I was with a date so it really was just a chat. They implied that they and their colleagues were the main "nightlife" in those hotels, but that was quite some time ago, so maybe things have changed.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Agree with all that has been said. The hotels by SFO and South City (SSF) have little going on. The closest town with any nightlife to speak of is the aforementioned Burlingame. I can't speak to any of the hotels there, but if you're going to cab it to B'game, you're better served taking BART into San Francisco. It'll be cheaper to get there, wider hotel and nightlife options. Just make sure you stay by a BART station and not in Fisherman's Wharf.

Cheers,
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:41 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
burlingame is definitely nicer

I've read the additional comments after my first response and I'm chiming in with more agreement

If your absolute goal is to be close the airport you are not going to have much choice in the way of 'walking neighbourhood'...the closest towns are not particularly 'destination' towns (ex SSF, Millbrae, San Bruno).

You can summarize it this way
1. Stay at a chain hotel like Hyatt or Marriott on the hotel strip south of the airport. No 'neighbourhood' feeling at all but you can walk from hotel to hotel.

2. Stay at a buget hotel in SSF, Millbrae or San Bruno. Will be able to walk to restaurants but your choices will still be limited for both restaurants and hotels. Not exactly a neighbourhood.

3. Stay at a chain hotel and go to downtown Burlingame. It has nice restaurants, cafes, stores. If you have breakfast or brunch in the area, go the Copenhagen bakery. I love their 'pancakes' with lingonberry sauce.

4. Just stay in the city. The Palace Hotel is fantastic...a historic starwood property close to the Modern Art Museum, Union Square, lots of restaurants, walking distance to the Embarcadero...and close to BART which will take you right back the airport. I agree that you should avoid Fisherman's wharf at all costs.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
Another vote for Burlingame. Definitely great shopping and restaurants, extremely safe, upscale town as opposed to SSF or Millbrae.

Check out the beautiful, recently remodeled Arts and Crafts style Burlingame Public Library, which is just off the main shopping/eating drag...
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Thank you all very much for the advice and recommendations, I got a really good rate at the Pan Pacific (129 USD per night) so decided to stay the night before I fly in town and use the saved $$$$ to get a cab out to SFO. Richard what was the name of the bar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.