Wiki Posts
Search

Best restaurants in Palo Alto area?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Best restaurants in Palo Alto area?

We will be celebrating a special event and would like some restaurant recommendations in the Palo Alto area. Most important are the overall quality of the food and a reasonably quiet, though not stuffy, atmosphere. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fond of Chez TJ in Mountain View. The new chef is a bit more experimental than Thomas was.

We celebrated my wife's birthday at Bistro Elan on California Street in Palo Alto a couple of weeks ago. Not as quiet as TJ, but less formal...

The food at both is excellent.

Edit to say ms. birdstrike suggests Marche in Meno Park.

All three are good choices.

Last edited by birdstrike; Apr 20, 2005 at 10:31 pm
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, I had one experience at Chez TJ with a company dinner and we were actually ripped off! But that was fairly long ago.

I have enjoyed Zibibo, but it isn't hugely quiet. Not that expensive and decent food. There's always Spago, although I'm not a huge fan. If it's just the two of you, Caffe Riace isn't a good suggestion, but for a somewhat larger group, it's great fun when the weather's nice -- outdoors, good service, very good food, served Italian family style on huge plates. We just walked by Niebaum-Coppola tonight and it looked to be doing pretty good business for a Wednesday night, although I've never eaten there.

Hey, how about Parcel 104 at the Santa Clara Marriott? Further afield, but well worth it. Who would have expected to find this place in a Marriott?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually thinking about Parcel 104 and could use our SPG pts to stay at the Westin Santa Clara. But I've never stayed at the Westin Palo Alto and heard really good things about it, and if we do that, I would prefer not to drive very far after dinner.

You've reinforced the Parcel 104 idea and if dinner takes priority over the hotel, that's what we'll do. Thanks again.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parcel 104 ^
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
We celebrated my wife's birthday at Bistro Elan on California Street in Palo Alto a couple of weeks ago. Not as quiet as TJ, but less formal...
The food at Bistro Elan is usually good, but the service ranges from leisurely to horrible w/ attitude. We won't be going there again.

If you're ranging further afield than Palo Alto, one of our favorites, either with friends or just the two of us, is La Fondue in Saratoga.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:58 pm

Programs: United 1K,MM
Places to eat in Palo Altos

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually thinking about Parcel 104 and could use our SPG pts to stay at the Westin Santa Clara. But I've never stayed at the Westin Palo Alto and heard really good things about it, and if we do that, I would prefer not to drive very far after dinner.

You've reinforced the Parcel 104 idea and if dinner takes priority over the hotel, that's what we'll do. Thanks again.
Parcel 104 is excellent. One of my favourites. Also Papillon in Saratoga, haven't been there in quite some time however it used to be very good.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diving4gold
Parcel 104 is excellent. One of my favourites. Also Papillon in Saratoga, haven't been there in quite some time however it used to be very good.
Yes, we ate at Papillon not too long ago. Indeed, it was excellent.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If you're considering outside of Palo Alto Manresa is world class Highly recommended - don't eat all day and go VERY hungry

http://manresarestaurant.com/
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
I would suggest Chez TJ for closer to Palo Alto and Parcel 104 for further afield. Parcel 104 is Hubby's and my "special celebrations" place, although last time we were there we found that they have gone to an all prix fixe menu and the choices were not quite as wonderful as in the past. Scott's Seafood in P.A. is good for fish, but it's not my idea of a "special destination" restaurant.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
One of my favorite Palo Alto restaurants has always been Evvia, I think they have the best Lamb Chops I have ever tasted. They also have a great Striped Bass.

I haven't been back since I've returned to the bay area so I don't know if they've maintained their quality. But, if they have, I'd highly recommend them.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were disappointed with Scott's. Evvia is still good, or at least it was last time I was there (which was a while ago).
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Since I posted my original question, we have eaten at both Parcel 104 and Spago. Spago was definitely the superior meal, though more expensive. We actually were a little disappointed in Parcel 104 - maybe expectations were too high after some of the recommendations. There was nothing really bad about Parcel 104, it just wasn't very special.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
downtown Menlo Park has nice restaurants

...I like Shiok on Chestnut street in downtown MP. It's Singaporean cusine and frankly I like it way better than the other local chain (straits cafe). Shiok is fairly quiet but I definately love their sambal green beans and lychee champagne cocktails.

The Bistro Vida on Santa Cruz Ave (also in dwtwn MP) is another good bet. Very french (don't be fooled by the imitation Left Bank just up the street). Bistro Vida has a simple menu, exactly like a bistro or brassiere in Paris. Also quiet and nice decor.

Both restaurants are a 5-10 minute drive away from the Palo Alto Westin on El Camino.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:25 pm

Stoa is an excellent place -- its vegetarian and pricey -- dinner is recommended -- also if you go there for brunch or lunch, be sure to get the french toast -- it is unbelievable....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.