Wiki Posts
Search

In-n-out outside Oakland airport is closing due to high number of crimes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
No, that is fine. Don't gas up on Hegenberger, and don't leave anything in the car when parked on city streets and he'll be fine.
and don’t leave anything in the car, in general. When I drive carpool from school to any event, I instruct the teen kids to bring everything they have brought into the car.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Asking from naivete. My husband is flying into Oakland, renting a car, heading to a business meeting north of San Francisco, then staying at the Waterfront Hotel and ultimately returning his car to the Oakland Airport. Should I rebook the entire trip and have him fly in and out of SFO?
For intra-California I would definitely suggest OAK over SFO right now, as one of the runways is closed for construction at SFO, which is itself enough to cause delays, and with bad weather it's even worse, with of course the close-in flights most impacted.

There's no reason he should encounter any issues either at the airport or getting to the car rental or from there to Highway 880. Staying at Jack London Square should be fine, too. As others have already said, don't leave anything in the car is an iron-clad rule.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
No, that is fine. Don't gas up on Hegenberger, and don't leave anything in the car when parked on city streets and he'll be fine.
I agree. No stopping on Hegenberger for anything except red lights. Most of Oakland is typical U.S. city crime risk, but it's gotten nuts between the freeway and the airport.
SanDiego1K, Boraxo and nnn like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dhuey
No stopping on Hegenberger for anything except red lights.
I don't know why anyone would even take Hegenberger. 98th Avenue is faster and safer, both in and out of the airport.

Most of Oakland is typical U.S. city crime risk
This I cannot agree with. How common is it for people to drive cars into liquor stores in order to steal liquor and raid the cash register? In neighborhoods filled with $2M homes? Eddie's Liquors in Rockridge has had this happen three times now. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...r-18642357.php. I used to live a block and a half away. When I moved in, there had just been a rash of armed takeover robberies of local restaurants at closing time.

There are broad swaths of Oakland, including most of the area below 580 and south of 23rd Avenue which are just flat-out unsafe, and big chunks of that it's uncomfortable to drive through, forget about getting out of your car. Add in most of West Oakland and we're talking many many square miles.

This is not "typical U.S. city crime risk."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is not "typical U.S. city crime risk."
Ten big cities with higher violent crime rates than Oakland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate

I'm not doubting that crime is a problem in Oakland. It's just not much different than say, Cleveland or Nashville.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 19)
How common is it for people to drive cars into liquor stores in order to steal liquor and raid the cash register? In neighborhoods filled with $2M homes? Eddie's Liquors in Rockridge has had this happen three times now. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...r-18642357.php
It looks like the store should invest in some concrete bollards.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:11 am

Ten big cities with higher violent crime rates than Oakland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate
2019 figures, so four years behind. And depends on what crime you pick. Robbery, Oakland is number 3. And there is a problem with relying on statistics, because OPD discourages reporting and doesn't investigate anything that's not seriously violent.

In any event, saying a city in the top 3 for robbery is a "typical US city" seems a bit of a stretch, no?
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It looks like the store should invest in some concrete bollards.
Eddie's has been there for literally decades. This is one of the two or three nicest neighborhoods in Oakland.

Of course this sort of thing is a regular occurrence in less privileged neighborhoods, and gets little or no attention, which is a pretty sad comment.
squeakr and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 6, 2024 at 7:17 am
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Just a note to keep this out of OMNI territory...

We're not super close...just sayin' - thanks

squeakr
MOD SFO
Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
We're not super close...just sayin' - thanks

squeakr
MOD SFO
I'll do my best. I'll try to keep my posts in this thread limited to practical tips for visitors in Oakland. I mention crime rates in other cities only to give visitors a sense for the relative risks when they visit Oakland.
squeakr likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
What's happening in this area is a deeply troubling breakdown in the rule of law, and the lack of meaningful response by politicians and law enforcement is in many ways even more troubling.
In my view, the larger issue is ultimately we all begin to ignore the law. For instance, while it's a small matter, I would never have entertained flat out ignoring a court summons, even a jury one, but this time everyone around essentially advised, "they don't put anyone in jail, and they're going to go after you?"

This isn't a path we want to descend into where most of us just begin to ignore laws. This isn't going to turn out the way some think.
SPN Lifer and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:37 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Again, please Let’s please keep this out of OMNI

Originally Posted by Visconti
In my view, the larger issue is ultimately we all begin to ignore the law. For instance, while it's a small matter, I would never have entertained flat out ignoring a court summons, even a jury one, but this time everyone around essentially advised, "they don't put anyone in jail, and they're going to go after you?"

This isn't a path we want to descend into where most of us just begin to ignore laws. This isn't going to turn out the way some think.

Thanks..

Squeakr
Mod SF
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I agree. No stopping on Hegenberger for anything except red lights. Most of Oakland is typical U.S. city crime risk, but it's gotten nuts between the freeway and the airport.
it’s good to see this as my son’s school trip is out of OAK so I’ll keep reminding myself about this. Last school trip the other dad fetched at sfo and they went to in & out by sfo at midnight lol
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
it’s good to see this as my son’s school trip is out of OAK so I’ll keep reminding myself about this. Last school trip the other dad fetched at sfo and they went to in & out by sfo at midnight lol
I'm not thrilled with the crowd at In-n-out MiIlbrae location but I am not aware of any problems, at least not to the same extent as the soon-to-close location in Oakland. For those who need a late night In/Out fix, there is also Castro Valley and Fremont (South of OAK), Daly City (North of SFO) and Mountain View (North of SJC).
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:10 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I'm not thrilled with the crowd at In-n-out MiIlbrae location but I am not aware of any problems, at least not to the same extent as the soon-to-close location in Oakland. For those who need a late night In/Out fix, there is also Castro Valley and Fremont (South of OAK), Daly City (North of SFO) and Mountain View (North of SJC).
The Mountain View location is too far for SJC. There is one on Coleman Ave. adjacent to the SJC runways kinda like LAX In'N'Out. You can even take the VTA line 60 bus there from the terminals and take it back to the airport.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by jmw
The Mountain View location is too far for SJC.
Yes. And Mountain View is west of SJC, not north.

Also, the Alameda location at 555 Willie Stargell, which was not even listed, is next closest to OAK.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.