Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to renumber all gates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’m getting a headache just pondering this! Wow.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
I’m getting a headache just pondering this! Wow.
LOL...dizzying reading about it. Though, shouldn't be too bad, unlike when they tried to make us adjust to the metric system. I still can't get the hang of that after all these years.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

https://crankyflier.com/2019/10/17/s...-gate-numbers/

As of yesterday, every single gate at SFO has officially been re-numbered. Now, the terminals become somewhat irrelevant and instead, it’s the concourses that matter more. As was the case in the International Terminal before, each gate will start with the letter of the concourse. But instead of having the numbers increase around the circle, each concourse will now start with gate 1
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Thanks for the link – looking at it visually was a big help
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by docbert
With the exception of United (E, F and G) no airline uses gates in multiple "wings" and the check-in counters are near to the entrances to the relevant wings, so the odds of ending up in the wrong place is low.

For United I can see (especially) E and F getting confused by some people - especially given that they do share check-in and security.
Don't American and Alaska both use a gate or two in C? Haven't flown as much this year, so perhaps they've finally consolidated fully into D.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by makfan
Don't American and Alaska both use a gate or two in C?
Si, although with Alaska's ever increasing robust SFO schedule, this may not be necessary soon.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
We flew out recently and didn’t have any problem finding our gate.

We flew out recently and didn’t have any problem finding our gate.The terminals haven’t changed just the numbering.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by squeakr
We flew out recently and didn’t have any problem finding our gate.The terminals haven’t changed just the numbering.
Perhaps. But now SFO has added the Terminal and their numbers to signs - and some signs provide only Terminal info so connecting folks have to know both Terminal and gate/pier to navigate around. Reminds me of ORD all over again.

Also, they've changed the gate numbering sequences so when I scrambled over to E7 yesterday, I was looking left thinking that E7 would be where gate 67 was. Nope - what was 62 to the right is now E7 and gates are no longer consecutively numbered. Why, for instance are E1, E2 and E3 outside the primary pier for the E gates? Yeesh.

David

Last edited by DELee; Nov 1, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DELee
Also, they've changed the gate numbering sequences so when I scrambled over to E7 yesterday, I was looking left thinking that E7 would be where gate 67 was. Nope - what was 62 to the right is now E7 and gates are no longer consecutively numbered. Why, for instance are E1, E2 and E3 outside the primary pier for the E gates? Yeesh.

David
I find it mildly annoying that E4 and E5 are adjacent but the rest of the pier is odd on one side and even on the other They could have gone E4, E6, E8, E10 down that side...

EDIT: I just looked at the map again and B is even worse
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
I find it mildly annoying that E4 and E5 are adjacent but the rest of the pier is odd on one side and even on the other They could have gone E4, E6, E8, E10 down that side...
Agreed. Go ahead and change but at least be consistent.

David
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold

EDIT: I just looked at the map again and B is even worse
The Devil is always in the detail with these sorts of changes and they appear to have dropped the ball badly on consistency. It's a shame as they had a blank canvas, whereas numbering usually is constrained by a legacy of random expansions.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The Devil is always in the detail with these sorts of changes and they appear to have dropped the ball badly on consistency. It's a shame as they had a blank canvas, whereas numbering usually is constrained by a legacy of random expansions.
I suspect the numbering changes were done on a graphic layout and then published as a fait accompli instead of walking each of the gate areas and saying "What would make sense to a traveler".

Whoever was assigned the renumbering task really needs to be taken out, blindfolded and forced to ask strangers around SFO how to get from one ill conceived gate number to another in a separate terminal.

David
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Noticed that Google maps (Android and mobile web site at least) still shows the old gate numbers 2+ years later...

Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Noticed that Google maps (Android and mobile web site at least) still shows the old gate numbers 2+ years later...

Looks like the TSA wouldn't let the Googlecameramobile past the checkpoint!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Well at least that building is still there.

Google still shows the old T1 building, although it shows some of the restaurants in the new terminal, a couple of which appear on the map like they are on the apron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.