Search

SFO to renumber all gates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
SFO to renumber all gates

This will make it easy for visitors. but a bit of an adjustment for regulars. Though those of us who park in the terminal will not have any trouble with the E, F and G designation for UA gates. See map at link.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...s-14452438.php

San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will renumber all of its gates in October, a project that officials believe will make it easier for passengers to find their way around. But it could cause some confusion in the short term, especially among frequent fliers who have the current airport map memorized.

The airport will adopt a new alphanumeric system that incorporates the letter of the boarding area (A-G) with a new gate number.

The new gate numbers are based on where they are located relative to the security checkpoint for that terminal. For example, the current Gate 75, which is located by the security checkpoint in United's Terminal 3, will be renumbered to Gate F1. Gate 90, which is located much further away from the security checkpoint will be renumbered to F20.

The big renumbering changes go into effect Wednesday, October 16 for the entire airport. *** MORE
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Makes perfect sense, and what I had expected/predicted when the International Terminal opened, with A and G piers as part of the gate numbers (and the other piers just having letter designations, not part of the gate number).
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:31 pm

... except for F3A/73A

-David
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
... except for F3A/73A

-David
Without exceptions, what would anyone have to talk about?
makfan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I kinda like the current system in which each gate has a unique number. Seems to me there's a greater likelihood of mistake when you have an A1, B1, C1, etc. You get the number right but the letter wrong.

ETA: This is especially true with how, unfortunately, B, C, D, E and G all end in the same long-e sound (hence the military use of Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Golf).
freeagent likes this.

Last edited by dhuey; Sep 20, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhuey
I kinda like the current system in which each gate has a unique number. Seems to me there's a greater likelihood of mistake when you have an A1, B1, C1, etc. You get the number right but the letter wrong.
With the exception of United (E, F and G) no airline uses gates in multiple "wings" and the check-in counters are near to the entrances to the relevant wings, so the odds of ending up in the wrong place is low.

For United I can see (especially) E and F getting confused by some people - especially given that they do share check-in and security.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
With the exception of United (E, F and G) no airline uses gates in multiple "wings" and the check-in counters are near to the entrances to the relevant wings, so the odds of ending up in the wrong place is low.

For United I can see (especially) E and F getting confused by some people - especially given that they do share check-in and security.
It’s not going to affect us savvy travelers. I hope our less savvy travelers will navigate through this successfully. This is a situation where we locals can help our visiting friends assure that they get to the right gate.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by docbert

AA also uses gates in both current T1/T2 (future C/D gates). But they're connected airside, and odds of ending up in the wrong place are probably no higher than they are now.

Anyone know how they are adding new gates A4 & A7? Didn't think there was that much unused space available in Intl A.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by econ
Anyone know how they are adding new gates A4 & A7? Didn't think there was that much unused space available in Intl A.
Maybe they are converting gates designed for jumbos into double gates for smaller aircraft.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So now it’s “oy and schlep” when I see gates F19-21 vs gates the old numbers of 88-90
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
So now it’s “oy and schlep” when I see gates F19-21 vs gates the old numbers of 88-90
No kvetching from the alta cocker, por favor
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No kvetching from the alta cocker, por favor
But we’re tribe-we have to kvetch about something ;
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I guess it'll help make sense to match gate numbers with boarding area and parking area letters. And for way-finding within the airport, finding a letter and number combination is probably easier. But I can see visitors getting confused with terminal vs. boarding areas...
"What terminal are you going to?"
"Terminal C"
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ryw
I guess it'll help make sense to match gate numbers with boarding area and parking area letters. And for way-finding within the airport, finding a letter and number combination is probably easier. But I can see visitors getting confused with terminal vs. boarding areas...
"What terminal are you going to?"
"Terminal C"
Well, SFO could always emulate ORD: Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5 (note no 4) with Concourses (no A) B, C, (no D), E, F, G, H, (no I or J), K, L, and Mmmmmmm.

I'll let the reader match the relevant concourse(s) with their associated terminals at ORD. Such goodness.

David
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:41 pm

Were I in charge, airport concourses would be lettered A, F, G, I, L, M, O etc. No letter that sounds anything like another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.