Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to move all Uber, Lyft pick ups to central parking lot

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Great to see. I have much sympathy for airport administrations as they try to adjust to the massive disruption of Uber/Lyft.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dhuey

I have no idea, but my guess is no airport fees at the rental car center. It probably never occurred to anyone that there would be many Uber/Lyft pickups there.
I’ve thought about doing this a few times even before the recent mess, but when I’ve manually changed the pick up point to the Rental Car Center, or even Long Term Parking, the price didn’t change. So I don’t think you avoid the fees, although it sounds like the pick up experience might be better nowadays.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:21 pm

Airports and apps are all very good at geofencing these days. If you're on airport property, I'd expect to pay the airport fees.

-David
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I got to experience this for the first time last weekend. It took my Uber driver 30 minutes to pick me up. I know that loads of rideshare vehicles picking up people curbside wasn't workable forever, but that was an absolute disaster.

Also, the instructions - to go to the bottom floor and take the elevator up - is totally unnecessary...I could have taken the escalator up to the AirTrain level and simply walked out to the same place.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Also, the instructions - to go to the bottom floor and take the elevator up - is totally unnecessary...I could have taken the escalator up to the AirTrain level and simply walked out to the same place.
That probably didn't add much time, if any, to your walk. It might even be faster if you're starting from baggage claim in the domestic terminals, though I'd suggest the down escalator rather than the elevator if you have the mobility to do that.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:05 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I tried the Rental Car Center pickup tonight... I'd say it's viable if the parking garage is a disaster but added a lot of overhead, since it's still dispatching someone from the rideshare staging area on the south side of the airport.

The other issue is that the entire Kiss-and-Fly area is signed for no taxi pickups. I think technically a pickup on the parking along the side of the rental car center might be allowed. My driver tonight didn't seem to care (about anything in general) but I could see someone else having a problem with it.

Overall, I'd probably just take the longer wait at the parking garage instead of trying to make this work.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:53 pm

Has anybody tried taking the first free shuttle that goes to a local hotel and getting Uber/Lyft from there?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:07 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I'm wondering if this is now a non-issue with the latest reconfiguration. It was pretty busy last night and the delay was minimal. They also had some folks in vests actively directing traffic around the different pickup zones. I ordered the car from deep within the United gates and almost made it to the garage before him.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Has anybody tried taking the first free shuttle that goes to a local hotel and getting Uber/Lyft from there?
Yes.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:11 pm

It sounds like they're getting things under control now with the new pickup site on top of the garage. It was a massive change for everyone involved, and the decentralized nature of Uber/Lyft makes it difficult to retrain the drivers on the new pickup routine.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
I pass by SFO with some regularity, and on Thursday/Sunday evenings there still is a massive queue going northbound for Uber/Lyft drivers trying to get into SFO.

They may have figured out some of the logistics and bottlenecks of the parking garage itself, but I would hate coming from south of SFO, late for a flight, and being stuck in that line.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:52 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I've done the central garage Uber/Lyft pickup a couple of times now, and overall found it easier and quicker than the old curbside method. But I may have missed the crunch hours/days.
sergent likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
I've done the central garage Uber/Lyft pickup a couple of times now, and overall found it easier and quicker than the old curbside method. But I may have missed the crunch hours/days.
Yeah, I find it more peaceful to wait up there vs. curbside.
nnn, MDtR-Chicago and sergent like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
Originally Posted by bman1002
Yeah, I find it more peaceful to wait up there vs. curbside.
I was up there last Sunday night (granted the most busy time of week) and it was anything but peaceful. Both indoor area by the elevators and outside pick-up areas were packed in the section I was in. Probably 60-80 people combined. Took 20 min for my driver to get from turning off 101 to picking me up. Admittedly, old curbside location likely would have been just as hectic.
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Will be arriving SFO in a couple of weeks and curious to know whether anything has changed (good or bad) for Uber/Lyft wait times in the new-ish garage pickup configuration. Considering taking a regular cab from curbside if the schlep to garage + wait time is bad. Arriving around noon on a Friday if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.