Reload this Page >

SFO Passport Control Mess

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Passport Control Mess

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Arrived last night from abroad, and SFO was fine. GE was quick, and the foreigner line wasn't any longer or congested than, say, DFW, LAX, or JFK.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Really curious if SFO is one of those "lending" personnel to the southern border. The Washington Post ran an article a few days ago about resources being moved from the northern border. Haven't seen anything yet addressing SFO or any other Northern CA airport.
...and this:
US-Canada border transfers raise fear of delayed crossings
I thought - could be wrong - that SFO used private (TSA approved) contractors, not TSO officers.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
I thought - could be wrong - that SFO used private (TSA approved) contractors, not TSO officers.

That is not for CBP, you cannot 'use private' for government (yet)
Old May 17, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos

That is not for CBP, you cannot 'use private' for government (yet)
Right. I always conflate the two. So I wonder if the upshot of less CBP agents at airports will be more focused, less scattershot attempts at enforcement. In other words, send people to secondary for real issues, not for forgetting to declare that (deadly) package of Speculoos cookies you slipped into your backpack.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I wonder if the SF Chamber of Commerce and the tourism bureau are working on this. Tourism is by far SF’s top industry. The city will pay the price if foreign visitors are put through hours of delay at immigration.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I wonder if the SF Chamber of Commerce and the tourism bureau are working on this. Tourism is by far SF’s top industry. The city will pay the price if foreign visitors are put through hours of delay at immigration.
The city will pay the price (although how much more is there to pay, given the poop and homelessness issues?), but the schmucks in the Chamber of Commerce will collect their paychecks regardless.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by davie355
The city will pay the price (although how much more is there to pay, given the poop and homelessness issues?), but the schmucks in the Chamber of Commerce will collect their paychecks regardless.
Those problems impact SF tourists, but not as much as the locals. The burden of crazy long immigration lines at SFO for foreigners hits tourists almost exclusively. A lot of these folks are going to think twice about spending their euros, yen, etc. here ever again.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't want to jinx myself going forward, but so far in 30+ global entry admissions at SFO, the longest wait was my last entry -- about 90 seconds.
+1 I've probably been through 50+ times and never a wait except at the beginning of time when they used to have 4 machines with 2 out of service.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Because when you are stuck in a massive queue with seas of people on the extreme right of the Immigartion Hall, you cannot even see the Global Entry kiosks let alone work out how long that queue is. I'm surprised @tom911 doesn't realise that you have to focus on what's facing you. And, as I say to all those who keep on saying, smugly, that you should just use Global Entry, it's not available to everyone. To those of us for whom it is not available, arriving in SFO is torture, even if the time with the Immigration Officer, when you finally get there, is less than 30 seconds.
But the floor is clearly labeled as you can see from the photos. If the whole corridor was clogged (which I understand has happened recently) I would simply start with "excuse me" and push past the tourists.

As for GE it is a no brainer for anyone who qualifies including families. My kids would never tolerate 4 hours in line. If you don't qualify for GE then maybe you want to fly into the US at another port of entry until this gets sorted out.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I flew in on Sunday on UA949 and it was rammed. I took pictures but have not uploaded them as yet so if you can imagine the line stretching out the hall down to about gate 94, then you have it about right. I landed at about 1500. GE was as clear as I have seen it. For visitors it was appalling. Something is not working.
Never seen this but according to media reports it has been happening recently due to several arrivals at the same time (mid afternoon). Personally I hate arriving anytime after 3pm as the traffic across the bridges and down 101 is brutal. But sometimes it can't be helped when you want to catch the only nonstop of the day (or avoid getting up at the crack of dawn).
Old May 28, 2019, 11:31 pm

Need suggestions. Is wait time looong for Non-GE but U.S. citizen trying to go thru immigration at SFO summer (mid August weekday close to noon)? I am looking at a ticket (not purchased yet) which gives me only 80 min connection at SFO from international metal to domestic metal (bit surprised that such ticket shows up available online/United site). Any thoughts? Will I be risking too much?
Old May 28, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by msiamsia
Need suggestions. Is wait time looong for Non-GE but U.S. citizen trying to go thru immigration at SFO summer (mid August weekday close to noon)? I am looking at a ticket (not purchased yet) which gives me only 80 min connection at SFO from international metal to domestic metal (bit surprised that such ticket shows up available online/United site). Any thoughts? Will I be risking too much?
Can you use Mobile Passport?

If not, I would definitely not book this connection. That's at least 100 minutes too short for comfort.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Came through at 2pm yesterday after arrival from SYD. Walked right up to a Global Entry kiosk along with two friends and were among the first at baggage claim (then waited what seemed like an hour for Qantas's baggage contractor to get all the bags out). Visitor line went out to the end of the rope line but did not backup through the terminal as noted in some prior reports.

Last edited by tom911; May 29, 2019 at 10:08 am Reason: left out the word "not"
Old May 29, 2019, 10:00 am

Need suggestions. Is wait time looong for Non-GE but U.S. citizen trying to go thru immigration at SFO summer (mid August weekday close to noon)? I am looking at a ticket (not purchased yet) which gives me only 80 min (1hr20min!! Why this is even available?!!) connection at SFO from international metal to domestic metal (bit surprised that such ticket shows up available online/United site). Any thoughts? Will I be risking too much?
Originally Posted by davie355
Can you use Mobile Passport?
If not, I would definitely not book this connection. That's at least 100 minutes too short for comfort.
Thank you for your reply. After much debate, we decided to take 2 hr 50 min connection over this 80 min connection (1hr20min! still showing as available. I don't get it?!!), so hopefully we, the passenger, and our luggage both can pass thru immigration on time before our domestic connection.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thank you for your reply. After much debate, we decided to take 2 hr 50 min connection over this 80 min connection (1hr20min! still showing as available. I don't get it?!!), so hopefully we, the passenger, and our luggage both can pass thru immigration on time before our domestic connection.
Per the wiki on the UA thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-sfo.html

the MCT is "xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)"

As often stated on FT, the Minimum Connection Time and Sensible Connection Time can be two entirely different things.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
(1hr20min! still showing as available. I don't get it?!!)
80 minutes is VERY doable - IF you have Global Entry, TSA Pre, and no baggage. It's even likely doable if you only have one or two of those things. It's doable for me even as a non-US citizen as I have an ABTC and can use the crew line.

If they didn't allow this as a connection, you'd have people that fit into the above criteria complaining that they were forced to wait 4 hours for the next flight when they were through immigration, security and at the gate within 20 minutes of the plane arriving.

Whether it's a sensible connection for you will depend on your situation. The fact the airline allows it doesn't mean it's a good option for you.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Arrived at 3pm here (just like OP) with 3 other flight simultaneously - there was only 2 dozen or so in the USA line and the other line was maybe 1/3 full. Nothing like the photos above. Maybe this has been fixed.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.