Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 3:05 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA @ SFO uses Terminals E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 15, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM

Does anyone know if there is a Pre Lane in the International Terminal now at SFO on the United side?

Are there now two domestic pre lanes, one on the very far left of the Premium desks and the other in the middle between 6/7?

I do know about the air-side walkway to the 90's gates.

The map on the SFO website looks like it may be out of date for the Pre lanes.
Old Jan 7, 15, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phil94028 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a Pre Lane in the International Terminal now at SFO on the United side?...
Yes there is. Be prepared for befuddled "golden years" types in front of you.
Old Jan 9, 15, 8:45 pm

United from SFO - Which terminal? International or Domestic

I am flying SFO-EWR-DEL tonight starting from SFO (UA 1703, UA 82). The United.com website states my checkin terminal is "Check-in Terminal: International Terminal, Concourse G"

On the other hand, the first flight is a domestic flight so I thought I would be flying out of Terminal 3 which seems to be confirmed by https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...ation.aspx#SFO

But now United is basically giving me 2 different pieces of info. I called in and the phone rep basically read to me what is at United.com

Can anyone help figure this out??? I'll be cabbing so I can't really hold off till I get there and find out in person with all my luggage which won't be easy to lug around if I have to move from one terminal to the other.

Thank you!
Old Jan 9, 15, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
According to united.com, your flight will be departing from International, Terminal G, Gate 94. That's a bit unusual but it happens sometimes. So you should indeed check-in at international. Keep checking the app, and if the gate changes to anything in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, that will mean a switch to T3.
Old Jan 9, 15, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by dawizard View Post

I am flying SFO-EWR-DEL tonight starting from SFO (UA 1703, UA 82). The United.com website states my checkin terminal is "Check-in Terminal: International Terminal, Concourse G"

On the other hand, the first flight is a domestic flight so I thought I would be flying out of Terminal 3 which seems to be confirmed by https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...ation.aspx#SFO

But now United is basically giving me 2 different pieces of info. I called in and the phone rep basically read to me what is at United.com

Can anyone help figure this out??? I'll be cabbing so I can't really hold off till I get there and find out in person with all my luggage which won't be easy to lug around if I have to move from one terminal to the other.

Thank you!
The aircraft being used for your SFO - EWR flight came in from CUN hence why the departure from the international terminal.
Old Jan 9, 15, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
The aircraft being used for your SFO - EWR flight came in from CUN hence why the departure from the international terminal.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
According to united.com, your flight will be departing from International, Terminal G, Gate 94. That's a bit unusual but it happens sometimes. So you should indeed check-in at international. Keep checking the app, and if the gate changes to anything in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, that will mean a switch to T3.
Thanks guys...I've never flown out of International before but I have flown into the Intl terminal when flying domestic. Also, good point that it is coming in from Cancun so it would have to fly out from International.

This conflicting piece from hub.united.com is what threw me off:

Customers flying from San Francisco International (SFO) depart from Terminal 1, Terminal 3 and the International Terminal. Check in for all flights at Terminal 3.

Proceed through security at Terminal 3. If you are departing from Terminal 1, take the shuttle bus from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1.

Read more at https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/co...HLbbi3F33yL.99
Old Jan 9, 15, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Bonus, you're close to the AmEx Centurion
Old Jan 9, 15, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
Thanks guys...I've never flown out of International before but I have flown into the Intl terminal when flying domestic. Also, good point that it is coming in from Cancun so it would have to fly out from International.

This conflicting piece from hub.united.com is what threw me off:

Customers flying from San Francisco International (SFO) depart from Terminal 1, Terminal 3 and the International Terminal. Check in for all flights at Terminal 3.

Proceed through security at Terminal 3. If you are departing from Terminal 1, take the shuttle bus from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1.

Read more at https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/co...HLbbi3F33yL.99
That information is outdated (you can tell by the reference to T1, which UA no longer uses). Here's the current web info:
San Francisco terminal information

United flights from San Francisco International (SFO) depart from Terminal 3 and the International Terminal. Ticketing, check-in and baggage drop are located at Terminal 3 for flights within the U.S. and Canada, and at the International Terminal for flights outside of the U.S. and Canada. Global ServicesSM members and customers traveling in United Global FirstSM should go to Terminal 3, Door 6 on the departures level to access the Global Services Reception lobby. Premier® members should go to Terminal 3, Door 2, 3 or 4 on the departures level to access the Premier check-in area.
You know, I'm not 100% certain international check-in will be open at the hour you arrive. You might ask your cabbie to wait for you to confirm you can check-in there before off-loading all your bags. Basically you just need to stick your head in and make sure there are warm bodies at the UA counters, which are at the far left as you look into the terminal.
Old Jan 9, 15, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You know, I'm not 100% certain international check-in will be open at the hour you arrive. You might ask your cabbie to wait for you to confirm you can check-in there before off-loading all your bags. Basically you just need to stick your head in and make sure there are warm bodies at the UA counters, which are at the far left as you look into the terminal.
I'm gonna guess it'll be OK, since MEX leaves around the same time.

I think that's the last INTL flight now that GDL is gone.
Old Jan 13, 15, 2:01 am

So...incase anyone else is wondering what really ended up happening....well I showed up at the International terminal at SFO, empty counters, one or two people hanging around, no passengers that I could see. I walked up to one of them (I didn't carry my luggage with me, told me uber driver to hang around) and the lady at the desk gave me a big smirk and told me it is a domestic flight, won't be flying out of international.

I rolled my eyes and said fine, coz that's what I was told by the customer service folks too. And just as I was about to leave the counter, someone else stops by and asks is this for EWR? I said Yes, and then he said yeah this one is going out of here - go get your luggage.

Geez, I was this close to heading over to domestic terminal and even the folks in the terminal were so confidently doling out incorrect info...anyway everything worked out at the end!
Old Jan 14, 15, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Just and fyi if you're flying ex-SFO domestic....

There were 3 huge industrial dumpsters next to the curb by Doors 1, 2 & part of 3 this morning (Jan, 14) when I dropped my folks off so I had to drop them off by door 8 where they walked back to 1k check-in so keep that in mind if someone is dropping you off curbside (and especially during busy times)
Old Jan 31, 15, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, WS Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
35 min cnx MRY->SFO->YVR

Is this even doable? Will both the inbound from MRY (UAX-Skywest) and the outbound to YVR (UA mainline) be in terminal 3 concourse F? It's going to be a mad sprint regardless as the inbound has a 46% on-time rate.

I am already planning for the missed connection and am glad the Amex Cent lounge is nearby.
Old Jan 31, 15, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Air Koryo View Post
Is this even doable? Will both the inbound from MRY (UAX-Skywest) and the outbound to YVR (UA mainline) be in terminal 3 concourse F? It's going to be a mad sprint regardless as the inbound has a 46% on-time rate.

I am already planning for the missed connection and am glad the Amex Cent lounge is nearby.
The YVR departure could be from E, F, or G (though G is much less likely). The UAX arrival will be F. You can make it but it's too tight for my taste.
Old Jan 31, 15, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Your MRY flight probably won't be on time. Maybe if it is the first flight in the morning (5:45am or whatever it is).
Old Jan 31, 15, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Your MRY flight probably won't be on time. Maybe if it is the first flight in the morning (5:45am or whatever it is).
Even if it's the 05:45-ish flight, if there's morning fog at SFO, there's gonna be some kind of delay and generally the shorter flights (i.e. SFO-LAX) and the express flights take the hits

Search this Thread
Search Engine: