Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I arrive on the UA SIN-SFO evening flight that arrives in SFO at 8:45 pm. Will Pre-Check be open anywhere?
Both F and G, according to https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
My cousins have a 6a transcon flight on a Sunday out of Sfo. Regular Y flight. Carryon only.

What time should they target to arrive at Sfo for tsa etc? I saw that tsa starts at 4a (!) and I can’t even decide when one should arrive at Sfo for a 6a flight.

in august I have a 7:40a flight and I’m hoping to arrive at Sfo around 6a for curbside luggage checkin.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
With no checked bags, I usually aim to arrive at SFO security about 45 minutes before a domestic flight, but I have Clear and PreCheck. I would add 15 minutes without those. I’d aim to be at the baggage check no later than an hour before the flight.
gaobest likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
With no checked bags, I usually aim to arrive at SFO security about 45 minutes before a domestic flight, but I have Clear and PreCheck. I would add 15 minutes without those. I’d aim to be at the baggage check no later than an hour before the flight.
thanks - I myself only have precheck. DCA precheck was busy on Sunday afternoon … of course after Id check the actual security moves fast.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
thanks - I myself only have precheck. DCA precheck was busy on Sunday afternoon … of course after Id check the actual security moves fast.
Clear doesn't usually make much of a difference if you already have PreCheck. It's never made a significant difference for me at SFO or OAK. There were two anomalous situations in DEN and AUS where it was a big difference.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Clear doesn't usually make much of a difference if you already have PreCheck. It's never made a significant difference for me at SFO or OAK.
I've saved 5-10 minutes with Clear at both T2 and T3. More times than I can count. Though it hasn't been so useful lately, due to more users and lame staff who are too passive.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've saved 5-10 minutes with Clear at both T2 and T3. More times than I can count. Though it hasn't been so useful lately, due to more users and lame staff who are too passive.
It's usually around 0-5 minutes of benefit for me. That's something, but I don't think I'd get this if it weren't included in my Amex Plat.
Eastbay1K and GUWonder like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:19 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
For T3 Clear has usually been around a 5-10 minute saver over plain Pre-Check in the past year IME. Sometimes it's been no help. For A & G International, Clear has saved a ton of time over plain Pre-Check in about 4-5 international departures over the past year.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It's usually around 0-5 minutes of benefit for me. That's something, but I don't think I'd get this if it weren't included in my Amex Plat.
Agreed, but I have taken a liking to have everything in my bag except a paper BP when I get to the Clear agent, and then through the checkpoint. (That said, I had twice in a row where I had a "random" ID check.)

Time savings have been hit / miss. When two of us are traveling (both Pre, only 1 with Clear), time savings have gone from negative (once) to about 10 minutes on one occasion. It is more typically no more than a few minutes.
dhuey likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR
Clear + FRT in PreCheck Terminal 3

Just flew out of Terminal 3 where the Clear PreCheck line looked like it might be longer than regular PreCheck. Not only that, got the “random” ID check at Clear AND PreCheck line is now using facial recognition tech (FRT), so I had to scan my face again.

All in, my identity was checked THREE times (Clear iris scan, Clear “random” ID check, plus PreCheck face scan). I’m quite certain I did not save any time with Clear. Had I known TSA moved to face scans I probably would’ve skipped the Clear line.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Clear is rapidly declining in utility due to (1) increased wait time to reach one of scanners and (2) the significant uptick in "random" ID checks.

I now make it a habit to scope out the regular line before opting for Clear.
SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought Clear + Pre meant going with clear and then to the front of the Pre queue. Surely that’s time saving.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I thought Clear + Pre meant going with clear and then to the front of the Pre queue. Surely that’s time saving.
Sometimes. Typically a few minutes. And sometimes, you lose. And Surely doesn't have Clear, and I am serious
gaobest and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 6:15 pm

If you used Clear with any frequency, you would know this is not correct.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you used Clear with any frequency, you would know this is not correct.
I only have pre - zero Clear.

as I was advised before my trip, dca has a long pre queue and clear + pre surely helped to save time compared to just pre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.