Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info. The SFO site only shows the precheck at G. I called BA and they confirmed they have our KTN's on file. Will try the OLCI with BA, but might be a challenge as we've got a lap infant this time around (even though he's on the reservation with his passport and own ktn). For AA, I know we have to check-in at the airport for this reason.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rustlerski
Thanks for the info. The SFO site only shows the precheck at G.
What URL, out of curiosity? FlySFO lists both A and G

https://www.flysfo.com/content/tsa-p...ional-terminal

TSA lookup page:

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I spoke with AA tonight and they claim they'll have something setup so that I don't have to re-clear security. A "train or a shuttle" is what I was told.
We locals are pretty confident that this agent gave you bad information. You will need to re-clear security. But Eastbay1K gave you good advice. Take the AirTrain Red Line from Terminal 2 to International-A. You'll be okay as long as your inbound flight is not badly delayed.

BTW, BA has a mid-afternoon flight and an evening one. Which are you on? If the earlier one, you would likely be able to catch the latter if you're delayed coming in from LAX.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:58 am

Zorak - I was using the interactive map. I didn't come across the page you linked to. Thanks!

DHuey - Will do. Only other thought is to walk to take the connector to T1 and catch the train from there. Unfortunately we're on the later flight. If we're delayed out of LAX, I'll be pushing AA just to move us to the LAX-LHR flight.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:21 pm

Only other thought is to walk to take the connector to T1 and catch the train from there. Unfortunately we're on the later flight. If we're delayed out of LAX, I'll be pushing AA just to move us to the LAX-LHR flight.
Walking to the T1 AirTrain station would probably take the same time as catching the Red Line at T2. The trains run every 4 minutes.

Great idea at LAX. Any significant delay -- even 10 minutes -- and I'd immediately push to get on the nonstop.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:38 am

Looking for some advice. I'm flying into SFO from LAX on Delta, arriving at 14:36. I'd like to then take a United flight to Austin at 16:10. This means I'd have to get my baggage from Delta in Terminal 1C, check in at United in Terminal 3, go through security and then go to the gate, all in 90 minutes. Is it doable or is the risk of missing the UA flight too great? Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Will Delta not Check your bags through?

Originally Posted by jwoodjapan
Looking for some advice. I'm flying into SFO from LAX on Delta, arriving at 14:36. I'd like to then take a United flight to Austin at 16:10. This means I'd have to get my baggage from Delta in Terminal 1C, check in at United in Terminal 3, go through security and then go to the gate, all in 90 minutes. Is it doable or is the risk of missing the UA flight too great? Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.
with bags checked through you’s likely be fine.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jwoodjapan
I would not risk this connection, bags checked through or not. The short-haul flights are usually the first to delay or cancel with any sort of inclement weather (which can be as minor as a low overcast cloud bank).
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
The fuller answer

If your flight from LA is on time I think you’ll have plenty of time. If your flight from LA is not on time, it will be dicey but that would be dicey whether there were separate tickets or on the same ticket. The difference being if separate tickets, UA will have no responsibility to get you to Austin. I would probably chance if I knew I could check my luggage through but if not I wouldn’t.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would not risk this connection, bags checked through or not. The short-haul flights are usually the first to delay or cancel with any sort of inclement weather (which can be as minor as a low overcast cloud bank).
I will quote myself to reemphasize the point that I would not risk this. LAX DL ops are a crowded mess these days, and LAX ops overall are a mess with the airport itself causing delays, having nothing to do with the weather.

I took a peek at a couple of yesterday's DL LAX/SFO midday ops. 10:05 AM departure - left the gate on time, with the 11:50 AM arrival showing up at the SFO gate @ 12:51. The 11:45 am left 2 minutes early, and its 1:25 scheduled arrival showed up at 1:43.

My last OAK/LAX on DL just sat awaiting a departure clearance @ OAK for over an hour, because of LAX ground ops. This was one of those "99% on time reliable" type of routes for most of my life.

Even without luggage, you've got a good 5 minutes to get landside from your DL gate, 15 minutes to get from DL to the end of the UA security checkpoint, and then 15 to 30+ minutes for that line, plus walk time out to the gate (5 to 10+ minutes). I did not recall seeing that you had precheck. If anything is even a few minutes delayed, from the jetway operator in training, to making a wrong turn when you exit, to just anything, you're out of luck. And the time you quote isn't even completely real, because if the plane is otherwise boarded and UA pages you within the "we're closing the door" cutoff, you're cooked.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Thank you for the information. I figured what I needed to know was how reliable the flights are. I think it can be done if the LAX-SFO flight is on time, but from what you all are saying, that's not likely. It looks like my best bet is to spend the night near the airport and take a flight to Austin the next day. Better safe than sorry. Thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:09 pm

SFO - United International to United Terminal 3

Hi There
My daughter will be arriving from China to SFO International Terminal, and has 90 minutes to clear customs and immigration, and depart for LAX out of Terminal 3.

Aside from the likelihood she may miss her connection, what is the fastest way to get from the International Terminal to Terminal 3. She has Global Entry and TSA Pre-check.

Suggestions are appreciated!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines, United, Qantas
Hi everyone!

I have a flight from SLC to SFO to HKG all on United. I won't be checking a bag for the flight, and it is all on the same ticket however I only have 55 minute layover in SFO on the way to HKG. Will this be enough time? What would the process be from deplaning in SFO to getting onto the HK flight?

Thank you !
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by lordgrimstad
Hi everyone!

I have a flight from SLC to SFO to HKG all on United. I won't be checking a bag for the flight, and it is all on the same ticket however I only have 55 minute layover in SFO on the way to HKG. Will this be enough time? What would the process be from deplaning in SFO to getting onto the HK flight?

Thank you !
Assuming you don't get delayed by Karl the Fog or wildfire smoke, you should be walking up to the gate as boarding starts. You should be arriving into terminal 3 somewhere, and then just follow the signs to the international terminal concourse G, you won't need to exit security.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:25 am

I agree with what rob wrote, and I’ll add that I suggest you wear shoes suitable for fast walking or running. If you have a delayed arrival you might still be able to catch your connection if you hustle.

Be sure not to exit security. Follow the signs to the International Terminal. There is an airside hallway that takes you from T3 to International-G near gate 75.

Last edited by dhuey; Sep 1, 2018 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.