Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Where will the AMEX Centurion lounge be located?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Noticed on the BAT blog today that an AMEX lounge is coming to SFO. Anyone have an idea where they will find space for this? Would it be in the non-secure area? Where is there enough open space for a new lounge?

The Centurion Lounge is a posh new chain of airport clubs reserved for American Express card holders. Currently, there are Centurion Lounges at Las Vegas International and Dallas Ft Worth International airports. An American Express spokesperson would not confirm an opening date, or that the SFO location would be the third location, only that it would be the location “of a future lounge.”
http://thebat-sf.com/2013/10/21/two-...es-coming-sfo/
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by tom911
Noticed on the BAT blog today that an AMEX lounge is coming to SFO. Anyone have an idea where they will find space for this? Would it be in the non-secure area? Where is there enough open space for a new lounge?

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/10/21/two-...es-coming-sfo/
It's in Terminal 3, upstairs, across from gate 74. Supposed to be airside, I guess they're constructing walls and a staircase to separate it from landside.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I have amex plat business

And I was invited to the Amex lounge in LAS. Hoping SFO is the same. It was AWESOME!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dallas too? dont recall discussion of that. but there was discussion of LAS cent lounge now being open to plat as well, as squeakr mentioned
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dallas too? dont recall discussion of that. but there was discussion of LAS cent lounge now being open to plat as well, as squeakr mentioned
Dallas is certainly open to AmEx Platinum holders.
From (http://thecenturionlounge.com/location/DFW/about)
"Card Members with a valid American Express® Credit or Charge Card are eligible to visit The Centurion Lounge with the purchase of a one-day pass for $50. If you have a Platinum® or Centurion® Card from American Express access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary."
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:10 pm

i used the lounge on 11/25 with amex plt
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
It's in Terminal 3, upstairs, across from gate 74. Supposed to be airside, I guess they're constructing walls and a staircase to separate it from landside.
I didn't realize there was an upstairs airside in T3.

BTW, I would consider this to be a very nice benefit for AmEx Plat if this really happens airside T3 at SFO.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:24 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
On the UA board several folks think it'll be landside. So not really clear right now.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
I didn't realize there was an upstairs airside in T3.

BTW, I would consider this to be a very nice benefit for AmEx Plat if this really happens airside T3 at SFO.
Without construction, there really isn't. Some sort of construction is going on - a few months ago, I had a very long VX delay so I decided to take a walking loop around the airport, part of which was upstairs in T3.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
On the UA board several folks think it'll be landside. So not really clear right now.
As someone who does not fly UA, I hope it will be landside.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I could see it being landslide, as it's not easy for people flying out of other terminals to access it. Since it's not associated with a particular airline, putting it airside in Term 3 would offer less access and less incentive for people to carry the card.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
I could see it being landslide, as it's not easy for people flying out of other terminals to access it. Since it's not associated with a particular airline, putting it airside in Term 3 would offer less access and less incentive for people to carry the card.
Drawbacks either way. Landside means you either leave the lounge earlier than you'd like to be sure you get through security on time, or you roll the dice. Airside makes it more hassle than it's worth if you're flying out of a different terminal.

I think airside T3 is the best option. That's airside access for about 40% of the gates at SFO (T3E, T3F and International-G). I notice that the Centurion Lounges at LAS and DFW are airside.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:36 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by dhuey
Drawbacks either way. Landside means you either leave the lounge earlier than you'd like to be sure you get through security on time, or you roll the dice. Airside makes it more hassle than it's worth if you're flying out of a different terminal.

I think airside T3 is the best option. That's airside access for about 40% of the gates at SFO (T3E, T3F and International-G). I notice that the Centurion Lounges at LAS and DFW are airside.
I also think airside is the better option. Even if it's landside, I doubt it would get heavy use from folks flying out of T1/T2/A. Seems like a lot of hassle to switch terminals unless you have time to kill and don't mind a lot of moving around. And if such passenger is willing to go through all that, he or she may also be willing to clear security an extra time.

In addition, airside is actually more convenient for T3/G connecting passengers in SFO who are already airside but never landside. So airside has other benefits beyond those you note.

That said, the best option is LH FCT style: airside AND landside. But that would require CAS setting up shop in the lounge.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
In addition, airside is actually more convenient for T3/G connecting passengers in SFO who are already airside but never landside. So airside has other benefits beyond those you note.
I never connect at SFO, so AmEx should not factor in connecting passengers' convenience. They should focus on me and me alone. I say airside T3.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
But seriously, you're absolutely right. Indeed, connecting passengers might be using this lounge about as much as us locals and those visiting here. Those connecting to Asia, Australia, NZ and Hawaii usually need to be on the safe side in giving themselves a time gap between scheduled arrival and departure times. If they miss the connecting flight, they might be stuck at SFO for a day or more.

If such connecting passengers arrive roughly on-time, they'll have some time to kill at SFO. This lounge would be great for that. Airside T3 means airside access to about 40% of the gates, but I'm guessing a majority of the connections -- and nearly all of the long-haul connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.