Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO on Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

SFO on Priceline

I'm flying into SFO late (arriving at 11:30) on Friday night in a couple of weeks, with checked bags, and picking up a rental car from Hertz when I get in. As it'll probably be at least 12:30 by the time I'm out of the airport, and 3:30 EDT, I'm planning to get a hotel near the airport to crash for the night. The airport Hyatt and Marriott seem to get generally positive vibes around here and on Tripadvisor, but the Hilton does not. I'd like to bid $75 or so on Priceline for a 4* by SFO, but don't want to get stuck at the Hilton; does anyone have any experience trying this? The posts I've seen here seem to point to people ending up at the Marriott or Hyatt, but I'm paranoid regardless and don't want to get my vacation started off on a bad foot.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
repeat as needed

If you need a specific hotel or can't use a specific hotel, don't use PL.

If you just need a place to crash near the airport, and will have a car, bidding on any 4 star will get you something decent (Hyatt, Westin, Marriott, Hilton) If you really won't accept the Hilton don't use PL.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by squeakr
If you need a specific hotel or can't use a specific hotel, don't use PL.

If you just need a place to crash near the airport, and will have a car, bidding on any 4 star will get you something decent (Hyatt, Westin, Marriott, Hilton) If you really won't accept the Hilton don't use PL.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. If you use Priceline, you'll probably end up saving something in the vicinity of $100 or so for a 4* place. But if it's worth that sort of a premium to avoid a specific 4* property, by all means, don't use PL, and pay the premium (or use some hotel's points program). But I would agree - if you're really just talking about a 1 night stay, and really just need a place to crash, park, shower, and leave in the morning, ANY name brand chain hotel of at least 3* class will be sufficient for the purpose, and you might as well save the bucks to spend them on nice places to eat while on your trip.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I've never stayed at the SFO Hilton, but for $75 or so, it's hard to see how that would be a disappointment. It's right at the bay, very close to SFO and looks like a typical Hilton in the photos.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Originally Posted by cjdesmond
I'm flying into SFO late (arriving at 11:30) on Friday night in a couple of weeks, with checked bags, and picking up a rental car from Hertz when I get in. As it'll probably be at least 12:30 by the time I'm out of the airport, and 3:30 EDT, I'm planning to get a hotel near the airport to crash for the night. The airport Hyatt and Marriott seem to get generally positive vibes around here and on Tripadvisor, but the Hilton does not. I'd like to bid $75 or so on Priceline for a 4* by SFO, but don't want to get stuck at the Hilton; does anyone have any experience trying this? The posts I've seen here seem to point to people ending up at the Marriott or Hyatt, but I'm paranoid regardless and don't want to get my vacation started off on a bad foot.

Thanks!
Is Hotwire in your price range? At least you could ID the property..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.