Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

airline miles for amazon.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airline miles for amazon.com?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
bump - any update on air miles for amazon.com ? I am looking at buying a number of items from them, and the options in this thread no longer seem to work.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by airoli
bump - any update on air miles for amazon.com ? I am looking at buying a number of items from them, and the options in this thread no longer seem to work.

Thanks!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Amazon does NOT permit its affiliates to give rewards or cash back to customers who click through their (the affiliates') links to reach the Amazon site.

This can be verified by looking at Amazon's agreement with its associates, which is publicly accessible here:

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com...ates/agreement

Specifically, under item 4, Referral Fees, see the following at the beginning of the 5th paragraph:

In addition, you may not: (a) directly or indirectly offer any person or entity any consideration or incentive (including, without limitation, payment of money (including any rebate), or granting of any discount or other benefit) for using Special Links on your site to access the Amazon Site (e.g., by implementing any "rewards" program for persons or entities who use Special Links on your site to access the Amazon Site)....
Since one can't (according to Amazon's legal agreement with affiliates) get any rebates/cashback/miles/points, I instead continue to support a charitable organization (KCSM, a public radio/TV station) by clicking through the Amazon link on their website. KCSM gets about 8% of everything I purchase. I recommend that you find a charity you want to support that has an Amazon link on its website!

I'm sure there will be doubters (to put it kindly) who will disbelieve me and argue with me , but it is what it is.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Thanks for the clarifications Kathy!

Too bad, they definitely have a different policy north of the border.

Will do as you suggest and find a worthwhile cause.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by airoli
Thanks for the clarifications Kathy!

Too bad, they definitely have a different policy north of the border.

Will do as you suggest and find a worthwhile cause.
So are you saying that Amazon has a different policy in Canada?

But you're not ordering from them because.... you've moved out of Canada? (Not obvious, as you are still self-identified as living in Montreal.)
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
If you're in the market for shoes, here's an idea.

Endless.com does have several cashback and miles offers and uses an Amazon shopping cart to check out, so you can use Amazon GCs there, and get miles or cashback.

If another store uses an Amazon cart, you could do the same thing.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Bummer. At one time you could buy Visa gift cards on Giftcertificates.com and get at least a couple of miles on the dollar from some vendors (AA was one, Amex for a while)....but looks like you can't order those any more.

Too bad, b/c you could buy the giftcard and get your points that way, then turn around & use it on Amazon...

Hey! Here's an idea. You get 6 points on the dollar for buying things at drugstores using Amex' Hilton Surpass card. Walgreens sells gift cards, both Visa and Amex. Next time I'm in there, I'm going to buy a couple to the tune of a couple hundred bucks, then use 'em on Amazon!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:24 pm

The problem is that the V/MC/AMX gift cards have fees on top of the face value which usually exceed the value of any miles you get.

I haven't seen Amazon gift cards for sale in one of those kiosks -- that would be a great way to get miles, though.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:50 pm
hs1

Rite Aid sells Amazon gift cards.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to shop at Amazon, at least find a school or a blog or some entity that you like, and click through their link. I understand Amazon not wanting splitting of affiliate commissions, but that doesn't mean they should get to keep it.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:32 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
if you (and friends and family) shop a lot throuigh amazon, become an affiliate and get cashback or amazon gift certificate for your purchases.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by hs1
This is an incredibly useful bit of information I'll have to take advantage of - I also use the CoinStar for fee-free Amazon gift cards (rather than paying for or wasting time coin counting).
Old Apr 4, 2010, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by PG
if you (and friends and family) shop a lot throuigh amazon, become an affiliate and get cashback or amazon gift certificate for your purchases.
Qualifying Purchases exclude, and we will not pay advertising fees on any of, the following:
* any Product purchased through a Special Link by you or on your behalf, including Products you purchase through Special Links for yourself, friends, relatives, or associates (e.g., personal orders, orders for your own use, and orders placed by you for or on behalf of any other person or entity);

I can personally vouch for the fact that this is enforced.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by PG
Yep, great way to get all your affiliate credit voided.

A friend was doing as you suggest and even though multiple people were using his link, Amazon shut down his account and voided all referral credit.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by hs1
Many grocery stores sell gift cards, giving a double bonus when it posts as a CC purchase.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarriorintraining
Qualifying Purchases exclude, and we will not pay advertising fees on any of, the following:
* any Product purchased through a Special Link by you or on your behalf, including Products you purchase through Special Links for yourself, friends, relatives, or associates (e.g., personal orders, orders for your own use, and orders placed by you for or on behalf of any other person or entity);

I can personally vouch for the fact that this is enforced.
you can't purchase stuff using your associate account, BUT your friends and family can purchase through your links and a-stores. I have only had one mystery purchase in two years of being an associate the rest have been from my immediate family and friends, as long as it is a different household on a different account it is normally counted as a good sale with between 4 and 6 % back depending on how many purchases that month (on performance scale). So if your "friend" was to purchase something from your store, you will more than likely get the money from the advertising fees, so if you have a blog or page then it makes sense to apply to become an associate.

Last edited by jrm68; Apr 4, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.