Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

airline miles for amazon.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airline miles for amazon.com?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by delmargal
Amazon you can purchase ecards increments up to 100, but you could buy multiple. Not sure about the fees associated with each, but the miles usually outweigh it.
Hmm... it looks like there's a 10% plus $1 fee for buying amazon gift certificates on giftcertificates.com... that certainly outweighs any miles!
or am I mistaken?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:43 pm
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sasha
Hmm... it looks like there's a 10% plus $1 fee for buying amazon gift certificates on giftcertificates.com... that certainly outweighs any miles!
or am I mistaken?
I feel the same way.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
or am I mistaken?
Yeah 10% is high. Some giftcards it's only 4 or 5 bucks, but it my case if I pay with an AMEX then I earn MR points in addition to any miles so it's usually a better deal for me.

Might want to check out points.com, not sure if Amazon is a partner with them...or think of another store perhaps ebay where you can buy giftcards for Amazon and earn miles. I know on points.com you can get 1mile per 2 dollars spent for ebay.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

thank you roadtripman

your tip worked!
I wrote shop4miles and they posted points for me for my amazon purchase.
like you said, ask nicely.

they posted it as amazon.com courtesy miles.

they'll get all my amazon.com business from here on in!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
another Shop4Miles success!

Originally Posted by any007
your tip worked!
I wrote shop4miles and they posted points for me for my amazon purchase.
like you said, ask nicely.

they posted it as amazon.com courtesy miles.

they'll get all my amazon.com business from here on in!
I sent an email requesting 1mile/$ for my recent Amazon purchase and in a day or so they emailed back telling me that they posted my miles ^^^

thanks again!
Old May 20, 2008, 3:12 pm

or am I mistaken?
Altho I am not sure I want to incur the surcharges, I don't even see amazon.com OFFERED on giftcertificates.com Has anyone checked lately? I was clicking thru the usair.com portal.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:33 pm

Further along in my attempt to get miles for amazon.com... I do not see amazon.com available at giftcertificates.com (which nets 2 miles/$), BUT I do see Borders on giftcertificates.com. But when you go to borders.com, they no longer have their own site -- they have partnered w/amazon.com! Soooooo, it stands to reason that you could buy a gift certificate for borders (@ giftcertificates.com) and then redeem it @ amazon.com ^

That should work -- yes???
Old May 20, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Further along in my attempt to get miles for amazon.com... I do not see amazon.com available at giftcertificates.com (which nets 2 miles/$), BUT I do see Borders on giftcertificates.com. But when you go to borders.com, they no longer have their own site -- they have partnered w/amazon.com! Soooooo, it stands to reason that you could buy a gift certificate for borders (@ giftcertificates.com) and then redeem it @ amazon.com
"You can use Borders Gift Cards as payment for orders placed in the Borders teamed with Amazon.com store."
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=602600

"To redeem your U.S. Borders, Waldenbooks, or Brentano's Gift Card just go to www.borders.com or www.waldenbooks.com, select the items you want to purchase, add them to your Shopping Cart, and provide your billing and shipping information on the order form. Enter your credit card information and the Gift Card number in the appropriate fields. Gift Cards can only be used when placing orders through the order form; they may not be used for 1-Click orders. Please note that only one gift card may be used per online transaction.

We can no longer accept Borders.com gift certificates. These begin with the number sequence 120X. Borders customer service will be happy to exchange your Borders.com gift certificate for a Borders Gift Card of equal value, which may be used either online or at a U.S. Borders store. Borders customer service can be reached by phone at (800) 770-7811 or by email at [email protected]."

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=602598
Old May 21, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by delmargal
In NWAs mile mall you get 2miles per dollar through giftcertificates.com.

You could buy an amazon gift card earning the miles then use the giftcard online at amazon.com
That's what I did when I bought some stuff from LL Bean. They are on no portal, but you can purchase gift cards from giftcertificates.com for them. So I bought a $100 gift card, earned miles and then made my $99.90 purchase! (And guess what? LL Bean actually sent me a check for $.10 because I overpaid by 10 cents! )
Old May 21, 2008, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by the_traveler
you can purchase gift cards from giftcertificates.com for them.
FYI Giftcertificates.com is partnered with many many rewards programs (airline and non-airline) - see http://rewardsdb.com/product/Gift-Certificates.html for a list. So this approach (borders gift cards from GiftCertificates.com redeemed at Amazon.com) may work for people interested in a broader range of miles/points etc.

Of course as has been mentioned, you do need to look at the fees and balance these with buying the product from someone like Barnes & Noble who are directly linked to many programs (see http://rewardsdb.com/product/Barnes-and-Noble.html)
Old May 21, 2008, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Further along in my attempt to get miles for amazon.com... I do not see amazon.com available at giftcertificates.com (which nets 2 miles/$), BUT I do see Borders on giftcertificates.com. But when you go to borders.com, they no longer have their own site -- they have partnered w/amazon.com! Soooooo, it stands to reason that you could buy a gift certificate for borders (@ giftcertificates.com) and then redeem it @ amazon.com ^
When you say that Borders "no longer have their own site -- they have partnered w/amazon.com!"

Borders has partnered with amazon.com for SEVERAL YEARS. (In fact, I believe they want to move away from that partnership.)

That should work -- yes???
As Andrew pointed out above, the answer is NO (except perhaps for Borders purchases at amazon.com).
Old May 21, 2008, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Folks, as our buddy cepheid can attest, there is a reason why it is so difficult to earn miles or cash rebates for Amazon purchases. It is because Amazon's contract with its "affiliates" (those who earn click-through commissions from Amazon) are expressly forbidden from splitting those commissions with others (e.g., the end users of their websites).

So, for example, shop4miles is apparently violating its contract with Amazon, and several posters here have "outed" that fact publicly.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Folks, as our buddy cepheid can attest, there is a reason why it is so difficult to earn miles or cash rebates for Amazon purchases. It is because Amazon's contract with its "affiliates" (those who earn click-through commissions from Amazon) are expressly forbidden from splitting those commissions with others (e.g., the end users of their websites).

So, for example, shop4miles is apparently violating its contract with Amazon, and several posters here have "outed" that fact publicly.
It looks like shop4miles no longer mentions Amazon at even 0 miles so looks like the were terminated from the program.

As I have mentioned before - most if not all of Amazon's online competitors have many, many rewards partners so it would be advisable to shop around and see what the item(s) you want cost from them. Then you can make the decision based on the price difference (if any) versus the potential rewards.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
When you say that Borders "no longer have their own site -- they have partnered w/amazon.com!"

Borders has partnered with amazon.com for SEVERAL YEARS. (In fact, I believe they want to move away from that partnership.
Why so sarcastic? SORRY I didn't already know that
Old May 27, 2008, 7:14 am

Borders.com is no longer partnered with Amazon.com - they have launched their own site. So no chance of that back door working for getting cashback from Amazon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.