Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

e-Rewards devaluing AAdvantage award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

e-Rewards devaluing AAdvantage award

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
I received the same canned response as Patrick did to my complaint letter.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:59 pm

I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I, for one, am extremely happy with this. We don't fly much and when we do, we always use our award miles. It will be soooo nice to be able to get AAdvantage miles without flight activity.

Woo Hoo!!! ^
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justind
agree in theory, but what about those that sometime when fly those that be already credit many too late ???
Huh?
Care to translate that into English?

Very amusing all this. There were a bunch of threads here recently saying e-rewards are useless since one could only get AA miles every 90 days.
(HH points are every 90 days and the two from separate accounts per 90 days into HH mutual accounts have been shut down.
Plus 1 AA mile is worth 2 HH points)
They changed that to every 30 days, but the complaints continued.
Now you can get miles without flying....more complaints.
Did it occur to some, now there is no excuse to ever lose reward $$?

Since we have two e-rewards accounts here and get over $100/month this might not be a bad thing because less HH redemptions are now available.

mike
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:08 pm

Nope, you're not in the minority. This was becoming frustrating not having items other than Hilton points and having to fly to get those miles.

I E-Mailed them a week ago and received a response from Ms. Marsh a few days ago to ask if they could partner with Apple so that we could redeem E-Rewards for songs, gift cards, and other items from the iTunes Store.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 4:39 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
e-Rewards is a Dallas-based company, and although they offer other rewards, it has primarily been a vehicle for AAdvantage members to earn additional miles. The fact that they offer diluted Hilton rewards is IMO like airlines facilitating mileage redemptions for magazine subscriptions. With that in mind, AAdvantage members are better served by receiving “full value” bonus miles earned when flying as opposed to diluted bonuses earned without restrictions. It would great if there was a choice, and then everyone could be happy. However that is not the case, and given these two options, it is clear which side should prevail. I am sure that others out there do find small quantities of miles beneficial, but the people that benefit most from AAdvantage miles are the people that are active members, flying regularly. My ability to earn AAwards is much greater than someone who can’t redeem an e-Rewards bonus because they don’t even fly American. While I am sure that the minority has exceptions (Citibank members, those that cannot book online, etc), the heretofore non-vocal majority has every reason to be upset.

The program is open to everyone. The awards have, for the most part, been consistent. I cannot see the logic in people choosing to participate and subsequently complaining about the awards offered. Why would anyone become an actively involved respondent in the program if they did not like the rewards? That being said, I doubt that the “enhancement” is actually based on a grassroots campaign by the grounded AAdvantage members. That would definitely be shortsighted. I cannot imagine anyone choosing to join e-Rewards in light of this program modification. Even if that assertion is incorrect, I am quite certain that defectors will outnumber new recruits several to one. I for one cannot justify the time necessary to answer e-mails, complete surveys and periodically chase credits when the redemption rate has plummeted. Whereas I expected to receive 15,000+ miles again this year, I am now looking a revised rate of 6,000 miles annually under the new system. No thanks!

I still have not received an e-mail from e-Rewards, and I am uncertain the significance of this omission (?). I just redeemed another $50 reward, leaving $30+ in my account. I hope that the changes are not unilaterally imposed on all members. However, if that is in fact the case, I will let e-Rewards know my displeasure and let my account go idle until it nears lapsing. Hopefully, e-Rewards will return to the preferred reward redemption options before next spring.

Sam
Old Aug 27, 2005, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Since we have two e-rewards accounts here and get over $100/month this might not be a bad thing because less HH redemptions are now available
$100 per month? Wow!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec
Originally Posted by dmitri
I wonder if AA award will become once-a-year as NWA is.
And I thought Hilton Hhonours at once every 90 days was bad
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:21 am
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottykempf
I see both positive and negative in this. I have about $80 in rewards right now. I was trying to take a flight and get the actual miles, plus get the 2500 mile bonus from e-rewards. However, this way I can forgo the flight, save the money I would have spent, and get some miles directly to my account without flying. So depends on how you look at it, I guess.
cannot agree with you more. They should offer AA miles like they do with NW without any strings attached. I am for it.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:12 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fet
cannot agree with you more. They should offer AA miles like they do with NW without any strings attached. I am for it.
While I was able to make great use of the $50 e-reward of 2500 AA miles for a flight, and wish it hadn't changed, my biggest issue with this change is the ridiculous devaluation.

We're going from the current $50 = 2500 AA miles (redeemable every thirty days) with a flight to $100 = 2000 AA miles (redemption period not mentioned, but if it corresponds to the new NW offer, could be as poor as 1 redemption per year). That's quite a dropoff.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since I rarely fly AA but have enough miles in my account for a free ticket that I will eventually use, this new option is one way to keep the account active. I can see a big devaluation for those of you who use the current reward, but at least I can now use it. And it's another option for in between HHonors rewards.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
I am pretty happy since I didn't have much luck with the prior (with flight) AA awards and given that I collect both AA and NW miles this means I will now need to earn over $e400 before I run out of redemption options ($100 AA, $100 NW, and 4 $50 Hilton).
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:29 pm

I thought that your points expire after one year - but that you could exchange your points for miles within the same program more than once during a year.
Am I incorrect? If so, can someone point me to a link showing me the rule?

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:25 am
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by linsj
Since I rarely fly AA but have enough miles in my account for a free ticket that I will eventually use, this new option is one way to keep the account active. I can see a big devaluation for those of you who use the current reward, but at least I can now use it. And it's another option for in between HHonors rewards.
I am in exactly the same situation as you are. Keep in mind now you can also get NW miles too.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:39 am
Suspended

The Party Is Over

For those who havent checked the website this am 8/29
You will find the new changes and redemptions scheme is now posted

BUT EVERYBODYS WORST FEARS HAVE COME TRUE.
ONLY ONE AA REDEMPTION PER YEAR 2000 MILES = $100

The fat lady HAS sung.

mike
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
BUT EVERYBODYS WORST FEARS HAVE COME TRUE.
ONLY ONE AA REDEMPTION PER YEAR 2000 MILES = $100

mike
i notice that they failed to mention the once per year part in the original notification email.

Some improvement

I'll be cancelling my account as soon as I cash in the last of my rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.