Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2012 (Amex)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2012 (Amex)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CalGuy
Just trying to figure out if that's what caused the error.
Greed?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I didn't get anything in the presale, but got 2 x 16,000 on the regular sale.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:29 am

I am satisfied with getting a single 16K package, enough for another two Grand Slam promos (if it survives the merger with AA)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:30 am

Had 4 of the 5 offers in my cart. Fill out all my info in 1 second (roboform). Got an error message when I clicked to the next screen. F*ck these Daily Getaways. BS.
Wow, nice. Got completely shut out on both.
Yeah, thanks

BTW, did you add a deal to your cart and check out, add another deal to your cart and check out, etc.? I had 5 separate windows open, all with a different deal, and got an error message on all. Just trying to figure out if that's what caused the error.
Roboform. Yeah, you'll get sympathy here. LOL.

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Greed?
So I'm greedy because I tried to buy all the available deals? Interesting take...

Completely sold out...that was the quickest I've seen these points sell out from the last couple of Daily Getaway deals.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Ritz

Roboform. Yeah, you'll get sympathy here. LOL.
Gotta be quick. Manually filled out the form for the Marriott deal and, again, got an error message. Figured there had to be a quicker way.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by murphyUA
Greed?
The amount of demand for today's deals was greater than ever before (when it comes to these deals) because greed indicated it to be a good deal for so many.

With the amount of attention these deals are getting from the travel bloggers in the affinity points credit card referral money game, these deals are evaporating quickly for reasons that have nothing to do with any one individual.

I would be amused to find out which bloggers failed to get in on one of the deals themselves due to rapid-fire demand for these deals from others, including those to whom they market credit card offerings.

Today's deal may have set a record for so many deals on the site selling out so quickly. At least 2,000 offers, and they all got handled so quickly as to show as all sold out within 33 minutes (which says nothing of them actually being "picked up" already well before that).

Let's just say I'm not expecting any better from whatever good offers may be coming up this month or next in this promotion.

.... the bloggers have changed this game, and I can't say its an improvement all around.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:37 am
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:33 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Got shut out of the "presale" - got the 50k package in the regular sale.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The competition was out of this world this time. I was only able to nab 3 of the deals and that was just for myself. No luck trying to get others in on the same action.
I scored 3 and my wife scored 1. (Between us, we got 1 of each except Wyndham, i.e. package #4) -- all in the real game, no pre-sale.

If I tied with GUWonder, I feel pretty good!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAWS
Sounds like to me that the system will only recognize you having one item in your cart at the same time. If you try to checkout with for the first item you put in your cart (instead of the most recent item), you will get an error.
Yeah, there may be something to that.

I used two different browers (same computer) and was able to get 2 offers (Wyngate and Super8 x 2) to go through. I was successful in purchasing them.

My wife used another computer, ONE BROWER, and got 2 offers in her cart and got error message after entering her Wyndham number.

So maybe that's it.

That said, on the rebound, I was able to get the Ramada offer in my basket, entered my WR number, and got bounced out.

You definitely need skill, luck and persistence to win these!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:39 am

The amount of demand for today's deals was greater than ever before (when it comes to these deals) because greed indicated it to be a good deal for so many.

With the amount of attention these deals are getting from the travel bloggers in the affinity points credit card referral money game, these deals are evaporating quickly for reasons that have nothing to do with any one individual.

I would be amused to find out which bloggers failed to get in on one of the deals themselves due to rapid-fire demand for these deals from others, including those to whom they market credit card offerings.
Well said. I find it laughable that I'm being called greedy for trying to take advantage of an opportunity for cheap points.

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM, *A G, IHGClub PlatAmb, SPG G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by rrgg
I started purchasing the 48k offer and entered my payment info. I clicked the final button and then saw "Something went wrong" and got thrown out. I tried purchasing again and got the 28k one. Then the same thing happened.

Did others see this? I didn't have this problem in the past with their Starwood offer. I'm pretty disappointed to miss out due to some website error which is not even my fault.
I was able to get one of the Super-8/16,000 point offers in my cart (could not get in on any of the other offers). I entered all my AMEX info and it kicked me out saying my address didn't match the card number. I was able to get another Super-8/16,000 in my cart and used a different AMEX card, but I still had the same problem. Very frustrating!

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I don't think they care. All that matters is that they drive eye-balls to their blogs so that they can sign you up for CC's. That's ALL that matters.

Think about -- do they really care about getting a few miles for 0.8 cpm or a couple of 3 figure affiliate bonuses?

I sort of wish that you couldn't transfer these Wyndham points to miles at all.... I'm happy to use them at hotels. There's good value there.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
So I'm greedy because I tried to buy all the available deals? Interesting take...
You knew how much demand there was for this offer. You knew there was a limited supply and an astronomical number of people that wanted in. So yes, trying to get 5 with robots is pretty damn greedy. And obviously so...when someone does something greedy, there is an inherent risk involved. I think you know what that risk is

Originally Posted by hobo13
I sort of wish that you couldn't transfer these Wyndham points to miles at all.... I'm happy to use them at hotels. There's good value there.
Absolutely. $40 a night at a decent Manhattan hotel? That's where I'll be using my 48K points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.