Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I don't think they know what they want to do with the programme anymore. Clearly, no one is redeeming for gift cards, which is why they are offering all of these bonuses to purchase gift cards. They've also ratcheted up the price of UA miles by 2000 in a year. Now, with the introduction of "cash back" next to the point price, it seems like a fundamental change is in play. I think it will eventually turn into a cash rebate programme because of the reduced costs. 2014 will be an interesting year for sure.
I've always considered them to be something like a legacy online rewards portal. They used to be the largest and most popular but now the market is so crowded and competitive that people flock to the sites that offer the highest percentage back. The sites that offer the most are the ones with the least overhead. Since MyPoints used to be so big, I assume they have residual high overhead and simply can't compete (which is clearly reflected in their cashback percentages). Probably their only competitive advantage is the few people who are loyal just out of habit and laziness, but those people are probably slowly learning what a bad deal they are and heading other places. So less revenue means point devaluations, which leads to more people leaving.

Bottom line: don't accumulate these points. Spend them as you get them. Especially when you look at the financials of the parent company, it's clear that MyPoints will not be around long.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Aaron20
Quote:

Originally Posted by uxb

I don't think they know what they want to do with the programme anymore. Clearly, no one is redeeming for gift cards, which is why they are offering all of these bonuses to purchase gift cards. They've also ratcheted up the price of UA miles by 2000 in a year. Now, with the introduction of "cash back" next to the point price, it seems like a fundamental change is in play. I think it will eventually turn into a cash rebate programme because of the reduced costs. 2014 will be an interesting year for sure.

I've always considered them to be something like a legacy online rewards portal. They used to be the largest and most popular but now the market is so crowded and competitive that people flock to the sites that offer the highest percentage back. The sites that offer the most are the ones with the least overhead. Since MyPoints used to be so big, I assume they have residual high overhead and simply can't compete (which is clearly reflected in their cashback percentages). Probably their only competitive advantage is the few people who are loyal just out of habit and laziness, but those people are probably slowly learning what a bad deal they are and heading other places. So less revenue means point devaluations, which leads to more people leaving.

Bottom line: don't accumulate these points. Spend them as you get them. Especially when you look at the financials of the parent company, it's clear that MyPoints will not be around long.
Hey hey hey don't say that about MyPoints! I wish that they stay around for a long long time

You make valid points though.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I just need another 500 points to get the 5,000 UA miles. Then I'm done. I can't recall when I joined, but between 10 and 15 years ago. I've seen some devaluations in that time, yes sir!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:05 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Aaron20

I've always earned and burned MyPoints. There's no point of banking them because there are never higher priced awards than the $100 gift cards or UA miles. As for using other portals, I've used Ebates since last Aug, and they've paid out over $200,- since. Sometimes, cash is king. However, I claim all of my Starwood stays on MyPoints and get 5000 UA miles in no time at all.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:13 pm

Shamrock

Today it's in Aeropostable
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:21 am

Rite aid.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by raenye
Rite aid.
Thanks, I won 10 points today. That makes it a total of 20 points for this promo.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: BMI, DL, UA, SPG, HH
2.5X thanks! I won 25 points today!

Originally Posted by kipper
Thanks, I won 10 points today. That makes it a total of 20 points for this promo.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:42 am

10 points collected at Microsoft Store.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:08 am

Kenneth Cole.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:39 am

https://www.mypoints.com/emp/u/shop-..._pt=sittercity
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
And won my first 25 points on this "promo".
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Finally won a whopping 5 points today. The last 4 days, all I got was a "sweepstakes entry". Whoopee.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:12 am

https://www.mypoints.com/emp/u/shop-...rc=NAV_DD_SHOP
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Thanks, raenye, got 10 pts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.