Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by craz
Theres also "Take a Discovery Break" got to do some clicking and make sure you get the timing page to open and once it get sto '0' it will count as a Discovery and earn 2 pts for watching

Actually its now alot easier and quicker to do the Daily 5, and why would someone complain that the videos which took apx an hour for 4 pts is better then doing a Watch(nCrave) which gets you 2pts after apx 2-3 mins if that
This is not working for me, as it is not being counted. My Daily 5 are difficult to complete now, I refuse to add any more bots to my system, such as the toolbar and the like.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Mygiftcardsplus

Accidental discovery. If you buy gift cards through mygiftcardsplus.com, not only do you get points for MyPoints, you also get the Amex Shop Small refund offer if you use an Amex card. Instead of buying multiple cards in one transaction, do each one separately to get the $5 off $10 or more on each purchase. Be sure to put the offer on your Amex card first.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:58 pm
Suspended

some help

Went to cash in for UA miles and a pop-up occurs telling me that this cashin will put me over $600 and therefore MYPT will have to report my cashins to The IRS. I guess even thou its hard to get 1 cent per mile they see it as 1 1/2 cents per mile. I tried cashing in even for 1K and same message pops up. So as of yet they dont know my SS could be they will ask for it if I continued with the Reward. My question is has anyone gotten that message and still cahsed in and do they ask for your SS, and did they report it to the IRS. this has to do with earning pts = Rewards from non-purchases

I can always continue and cashin after 12/31 and hope they are still around .
TIA
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:05 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Went to cash in for UA miles and a pop-up occurs telling me that this cashin will put me over $600 and therefore MYPT will have to report my cashins to The IRS. I guess even thou its hard to get 1 cent per mile they see it as 1 1/2 cents per mile. I tried cashing in even for 1K and same message pops up. So as of yet they dont know my SS could be they will ask for it if I continued with the Reward. My question is has anyone gotten that message and still cahsed in and do they ask for your SS, and did they report it to the IRS. this has to do with earning pts = Rewards from non-purchases

I can always continue and cashin after 12/31 and hope they are still around .
TIA
That’s peak insanity. Also, the points were awarded as a shopping rebate, so its taxation is dubious. I would speak with your tax advisor, but I’d challenge any 1099 they try to issue.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uxb
That’s peak insanity. Also, the points were awarded as a shopping rebate, so its taxation is dubious. I would speak with your tax advisor, but I’d challenge any 1099 they try to issue.
As I posted and the pop-up said the max met was based on NON-SPENDING = it wasnt a shopping rebate. I was simply wondering if it was MYPTS way to limit what you can earn w/o having a Limit perse in place.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:03 am
uxb

As I posted and the pop-up said the max met was based on NON-SPENDING = it wasnt a shopping rebate. I was simply wondering if it was MYPTS way to limit what you can earn w/o having a Limit perse in place.
How do you earn points? And what is MyPoints’ valuation for their points? I have redeemed points for miles 4-5 times a year and never got that message. I think United values their 5000 miles at $175, so that should’ve put me over the reporting threshold on the fourth redemption (in theory).
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It's a change in the taxable income reporting law tied to one of the covid relief bills- the threshold for 'must report income to the IRS' went from something like $20K to $600. It's also going to impact a lot of small sellers on ebay, etsy and such.

To this point, I've claimed whatever ended up in my PayPal account from the GPT programs as income but haven't done anything with what I've redeemed for miles or hotel points because it seemed like the IRS didn't consider those to be income. Guess that might be changing.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uxb
How do you earn points? And what is MyPoints’ valuation for their points? I have redeemed points for miles 4-5 times a year and never got that message. I think United values their 5000 miles at $175, so that should’ve put me over the reporting threshold on the fourth redemption (in theory).
since I ca$hed in for 40K thus far and got the pop-up a few days ago when I tried to ca$h-in again I assumed that meant MYPT put a .015 per mile since 40k x .015 = $600. Remember this is only regarding pts that you earned NOT from shopping, seems theres no limit from shopping as its considered a rebate
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by beachmouse
It's a change in the taxable income reporting law tied to one of the covid relief bills- the threshold for 'must report income to the IRS' went from something like $20K to $600. It's also going to impact a lot of small sellers on ebay, etsy and such.

To this point, I've claimed whatever ended up in my PayPal account from the GPT programs as income but haven't done anything with what I've redeemed for miles or hotel points because it seemed like the IRS didn't consider those to be income. Guess that might be changing.
Shopping rebates are not taxable income, though -- they are essentially just a discount. One exception would be if you are getting a rebate against something you used as a tax deduction, such as business expenses. But mypoints and other shopping portals have no way of knowing if that is the case. So I guess they are being overly cautious.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:21 am
uxb

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Shopping rebates are not taxable income, though -- they are essentially just a discount. One exception would be if you are getting a rebate against something you used as a tax deduction, such as business expenses. But mypoints and other shopping portals have no way of knowing if that is the case. So I guess they are being overly cautious.
The OP redeemed 110400 MyPoints (based on my calculations). If they were all earned in 2021, then maybe... if this was just a cash out of the account, then I am still struggling for why it would be taxable. In any case, congratulations on earning 110400?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:25 pm

Just wondering, since this thread has been pretty dead, is anyone here still using MyPoints? I am still plugging away and redeeming for 25,000m United miles a year.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
To sone degree though I’m hitting e-rewards the most right now because they’ve got a few redemption offers I have a more immediate use for than United miles.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I still use it, but I admit that their latest changes are very disappointing.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:02 pm
Original Member

I use it for the 1 cent daily for answering the survey. I have it on my website for referrals (a few). Easy. Every once in a while a cash in for an Amazon gift card.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
I still use it, but I admit that their latest changes are very disappointing.
I agree. And I'm finding that more and more surveys are time wasters, screening out after too much time has been spent. Some don't even award disqualification points, they just terminate without redirecting to the Sorry, here are 5 disqualification points page.
arollins likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.