Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Bag Pooling with a "Dummy Bag"

Old Jan 11, 23, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

So I have 2 bags. The normal "sane" carriers have an international common weight restriction of 23Kg. Of course Ryan Doesn't. I don't want to pay for extra KG (9 L per KG, are you kidding!). I know Ryan allows bag pooling. So it turns out it will be cheaper to pay for an extra bag and use that excess weight capacity to add to the pool.

All good so far. So can I just not bring a third bag?? If I don't bring that bag, can I still pool between the 3 bags?

So for instance
Bag 1 23Kg
Bag 2 23Kg
Bag 3 (10 Kg Dummy bag) <-- don't bring this bag
Old Jan 12, 23, 9:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Can you just check an empty box?
Old Jan 15, 23, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Originally Posted by Tewkewl View Post
So I have 2 bags. The normal "sane" carriers have an international common weight restriction of 23Kg. Of course Ryan Doesn't. I don't want to pay for extra KG (9 L per KG, are you kidding!). I know Ryan allows bag pooling. So it turns out it will be cheaper to pay for an extra bag and use that excess weight capacity to add to the pool.

All good so far. So can I just not bring a third bag?? If I don't bring that bag, can I still pool between the 3 bags?

So for instance
Bag 1 23Kg
Bag 2 23Kg
Bag 3 (10 Kg Dummy bag) <-- don't bring this bag
If you pay for 20kg bags, then each bag cannot be heavier than 20kg without incurring the overweight fee.

Having paid for a 3rd unused bag doesn't get around the limit of 20kg on the other bags (unless you physically remove 3kg from each of the first two bags, and check this third 6kg bag in as the third 10kg bag you already paid for anyway).

If your intention is that having paid for a 3rd 10kg bag, which you then don't use, can be used to "offset" the extra 6kg you have stuffed into the other bags, that's not how it works. Paying for a 3rd 10kg bag only allows you to check in a 10kg bag. It doesn't allow you to evade the excess baggage fee for checking in other bags heavier than their own 20kg limit, even if the excess weight is less than 10kg. That "extra" 10kg you paid for was for a separate, third bag. If you don't bring such a third bag to check in, then you just wasted the 10kg bag fee for nothing.
Old Jan 15, 23, 7:27 am
Original Poster

This isn't correct. You can pool the bag weight. I've done it before and it's pretty common knowledge for Ryanair. You can pool bags given any bag is not greater than 32kg. It's also on their website.
hessbo likes this.

Search this Thread