Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

What's flying with Ryanair really like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's flying with Ryanair really like?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CapetownZA
No , you must treat all people with respect , its got nothing to do with the amount money you pay
Better not come to Dallas then. Especially at fast food places that employ high school dropouts

And don't get on public transit here either, not sure where they find these caracterss

EmailKid, straying off topic .....
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by CapetownZA
I had my first experience with Ryan Air a couple of months ago and will never ever use them again. No matter if you pay 1 Euro or 100 Euro no need to be rude and arrogant. I was shocked at how the employees treated a woman with a handbag and her luggage. She was asked to fit it into one bag and put it into the baggage check, after she repack her bag it fitted into the Ryan Air Baggage Check. When we boarded omw they asked her to put it into the baggage check again , she got upset and their was massive argument about why she being asked to fit again after it already fitted into the baggage check. Ryan Air that is not the way you deal with a paying customer. I am sure that lady will never fly with you again and i am sure about half of the people in the q will fly with you again as that is not how you treat paying customer. Their is no on board experience to talk about (0/10) Bad Bad Bad
Welcome to another typical Ryanair (all one word) experience. The airline offers low fares, and that is all. It is very well known for its famously inflexible approach to everything. I very much doubt that half the queue will never fly Ryanair again; they probably mostly know what to do and what to expect.

In short, if Ryanair's customer service and attitude was costing them customers, it wouldn't be long changing.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Not Ryanair but I have used EasyJet and Air Asia and Jetstar incl those for maybe 16hr flights.

As those say, stick to the rules.
If you add baggage or food it can add up.

For long trips they might not be that worth it like Air Asia or Jetstar. Only 200-300US maybe cheaper for the return flight. Those in my exp allow you to tilt. I don't have much an issue with tilting, I tilt v little and can stay there for the 16hr.

For short trips, financially they are more worth it, yeah maybe they do have lesser legrom and tilt and stuff. But you cannot have your cake and eat it right? If you go for a cheap airline one should not expect a premium service.

Since 2003 I have not used checked luggage even with prem airlines. I did pay for a $70US meal - return that is. 2 meals per one way journey, a drink provided at meal time. Any extra food or drinks is paid for. No pillow/blanket yes even for those overnight or 16hr journeys. It's an option to be bought if I wanted. No flight entertainment. I could pay for it if I wanted again. I just had my smartphone for music and a few games, I buy my own magazine or book etc ... It gets you from A to B.

Having said all that. Air New Zealand which is a Star Alliance carrier also charge people for excess baggage if over. Their fares are similar to Singapore Airlines.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/excess-baggage-charges

I saw a group of people on Air Asia maybe family who took their water bottles or thermos and filled water at the fountains just before they boarded the aircraft. For a 12hr journey flight. I saw a KFC box one time that a FA cleared, and a diff person on the same row by diff section was having chicken and chips. I was exiting the aircraft and people leave behind packages of lollies, biscuits, chippies, nuts ..... People do that with the prem full serviced airlines too. It's so much easier to just have your own snacks. And it's not expensive. Get them from the supermarket.

Last edited by rayonline; Jan 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
carry-on allowance

"Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage."

I measured my carry-on and it comes out to be roughly 60cm x 35cm x 23cm

I am off by a few cm - are they going to charge me? The wheels are the culprit here.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If your case is inspected then yes you will be charged a €60 fine and be required to gate-check it. Whether it will be inspected or not depends where you're travelling from. Some airports are stricter than others; in my experience the more Ryanair flights from the airport, the more likely they are to make an issue of it. Your bag will not even start to go into the sizer because it is 3cm too thick.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Originally Posted by ulzimates
"Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage."

I measured my carry-on and it comes out to be roughly 60cm x 35cm x 23cm

I am off by a few cm - are they going to charge me? The wheels are the culprit here.
I would definately not chance it. They are over zealous in checking bags, even ones which obviously fit are normally put into the sizer.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the responses. I guess I'll stick with bookbags and duffels then
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ulzimates
Thank you for the responses. I guess I'll stick with bookbags and duffels then
Make certain it's one bag per pax, otherwise it's a €60 fine.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:59 pm

I have flown Ryanair from Berlin to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Barcelona return and I had no problem with them whatsoever. The one little inconvenience was at Edinburgh airport when they said I had to sign a waiver absolving them of blame if my backpack was damaged because of all the straps and stuff. I signed it because I have travel insurance anyway and it didn't bother me. Was interesting that the same backpack was let through in Berlin without me signing anything.

In reality, it is a cheap airline and you get what you pay for. It is cramped and they are constantly trying to sell you something, but if you sit down and put your ipod on, the flight gets you where you are going and thats all you need really.

As for all the rules and fees, if you pay attention and follow the rules you won't have to pay extra. It seems the most people that complain are the ones that don't listen and don't follow the rules properly.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Flew FR yesterday NAD-MAD. The boarding was quite chaotic (as everything seems to be in Morocco), so nobody really paid any attention to the fact that I had 1+1 carryons.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by circusboy
I would definately not chance it. They are over zealous in checking bags, even ones which obviously fit are normally put into the sizer.
AIUI, their staff are (or at least were) incentivised based on the "fines", so are very enthusiastic to impose them if they have any way to do so.

Neil
Old May 10, 2012, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacer142
AIUI, their staff are (or at least were) incentivised based on the "fines", so are very enthusiastic to impose them if they have any way to do so.

Neil
I have heard that some staff get 5% commission on all the surcharges they give out, and a meeting with no tea and biscuits if they waive any.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Just back from a one day turn SVQ-VLC. Boarding a bit chaotic, gate attendants seemed a bit too overzealous and two people in front of us were busted for bags not fitting in the test bin. Drove me bonkers all the advertisements on a 50 minute flight. Cigarettes, lottery tickets, perfume. Had the urge to throw open the exit row door and jump out.

Had my Sennheisers on during the return, so much better experience. Leg room appears to be better (?) than Iberia on same route.

However, both flights arrived ontime. Ok for 70 euros return. Tepid approval.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not hard for them to arrive on time with the amount of padding! Last time I flew DUB-BOH with them, the flight was timed to arrive 1h15m after it departed, and as soon as we got onboard they announced a flight time of 40 minutes.
Old May 11, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
It's not hard for them to arrive on time with the amount of padding! Last time I flew DUB-BOH with them, the flight was timed to arrive 1h15m after it departed, and as soon as we got onboard they announced a flight time of 40 minutes.
Under-promising is often better then over-promising. It is better to leave the padding then be constantly late. At least one can be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.