Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

What's flying with Ryanair really like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's flying with Ryanair really like?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
A man is sat in a bar at an airport waiting for his flight to board.

As he sits there a very attractive young woman sits on the bar-stool next to him and orders a drink. The man thinks to himself "She must be cabin crew" and decides to find out by seeing if she responds to any of the airline's advertising slogans.

Thinking she might work for British Airways he says "The world's favourite airline?"

The woman looks at him, but says nothing and then goes back to her drink.

The man thinks "perhaps she works for Singapore Airlines" and says questioningly "A better way to fly?"

The woman still does not respond, so he thinks to himself that maybe it is Malasia airlines, whose tagline is "As Smooth as Silk".

So he says to her "As smooth as silk?"

The woman turns to him and says aggressively "What the f**k do you want?"

To which he replies "ahhhhh..........RyanAir"
You just nicked an old El Al joke...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: OnePass | MillagePlus
My personal experience on my first RA flight out Karlshue, Germany was this...
Having the person at the security check point reach around me to feel my backpack (school bag not a day pack). Then waiting to be shuttled to the bus out on the tarmac. Showing my boarding pass another time once inside the plane. Then ounce inside the flight it was like a more depressing Southwest flight.

Having a menu within two inches of my eyeballs was a nice opening touch to get me to buy something while it was being waved up and down ever row before mine, ha.

Recommendation, bring music, close your eyes and wake up after you touch down.

BUT!, I'm not complaining as my flights have only cost me 9€ between Germany -Spain and England!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:22 pm

One thing to watch out for is that in buying a ticket online, RyanAir will try to trick you into a currency conversion at a very bad rate. On the final page where you click to buy it shows the price in local currency at the bottom right in big numbers, but way off to the left is tiny print and a pre-checked box asking to change currency. It is easy to miss, and you have to uncheck that pre-checked box to avoid that currency change ripoff.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Kevmo
My personal experience on my first RA flight out Karlshue, Germany was this...
Having the person at the security check point reach around me to feel my backpack (school bag not a day pack). Then waiting to be shuttled to the bus out on the tarmac. Showing my boarding pass another time once inside the plane. Then ounce inside the flight it was like a more depressing Southwest flight.

Having a menu within two inches of my eyeballs was a nice opening touch to get me to buy something while it was being waved up and down ever row before mine, ha.

Recommendation, bring music, close your eyes and wake up after you touch down.

BUT!, I'm not complaining as my flights have only cost me 9€ between Germany -Spain and England!
You got what you paid for. You can have zero complaints.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolinian
One thing to watch out for is that in buying a ticket online, RyanAir will try to trick you into a currency conversion at a very bad rate. On the final page where you click to buy it shows the price in local currency at the bottom right in big numbers, but way off to the left is tiny print and a pre-checked box asking to change currency. It is easy to miss, and you have to uncheck that pre-checked box to avoid that currency change ripoff.
I hate this. Truly hate it. Credit cards are doing this dynamic currency conversion more and more now at point of sale when you are at the machines in the US. And let's be honest, the feckers are not doing it for the customers benefit.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I hate this. Truly hate it. Credit cards are doing this dynamic currency conversion more and more now at point of sale when you are at the machines in the US. And let's be honest, the feckers are not doing it for the customers benefit.
Always say no to it. And if the merchant preselects it, press "cancel" when entering your PIN (or refuse to sign) and insist they do it again. I've only had to do the latter once.

And if you're in a shop you have the option of leaving the goods on the desk and walking out, though that obviously doesn't work when paying for a hotel stay you've already taken, say.

Neil
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:01 am

The first time I flew Ryanair to/from Ireland and UK, I had no issues.

The following year, I flew from London to Esbjerg Denmark and had problems going back with them charging half the flight for extra luggage including myself when I had flown with the same exact amount of items going to Denmark: 1 Suitcase for checking, 1 carry on bag, and my purse/handbag. Never again will I use them.

The next time I flew from London to Ireland, no issues as I used BMI, and they exceeded my expectations for sure with great service on both parts of my trip.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel
The following year, I flew from London to Esbjerg Denmark and had problems going back with them charging half the flight for extra luggage including myself when I had flown with the same exact amount of items going to Denmark: 1 Suitcase for checking, 1 carry on bag, and my purse/handbag. Never again will I use them.
If you had complied with the cabin baggage limitations (1 item, purse/handbag to be carried within that 1 item), you would not have been charged. If it wasn't caught outbound, you were lucky. Ryanair's rules are clear, but highly inflexible.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
If you had complied with the cabin baggage limitations (1 item, purse/handbag to be carried within that 1 item), you would not have been charged. If it wasn't caught outbound, you were lucky. Ryanair's rules are clear, but highly inflexible.
I am totally with them on this and wish every airline would show this consistent application of the rules.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
I am totally with them on this and wish every airline would show this consistent application of the rules.
Strictly one item of hand luggage has its advantages - less of a need to gate-check.

Some of Ryanair's other rules are a bit obscure in how they work, but they're easy enough to find. On their website there is one terms and conditions page, and one page listing a full breakdown of additional fees. When booking, read both.

Neil
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have never had a problem with Ryanair. You get what you pay for in this life. RyanAir are cheap and no frills. They give Kettles what they want -plain and simple. I have had some good cheap trips with them and happily take the family and grand children.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:35 pm

shocking

I had my first experience with Ryan Air a couple of months ago and will never ever use them again. No matter if you pay 1 Euro or 100 Euro no need to be rude and arrogant. I was shocked at how the employees treated a woman with a handbag and her luggage. She was asked to fit it into one bag and put it into the baggage check, after she repack her bag it fitted into the Ryan Air Baggage Check. When we boarded omw they asked her to put it into the baggage check again , she got upset and their was massive argument about why she being asked to fit again after it already fitted into the baggage check. Ryan Air that is not the way you deal with a paying customer. I am sure that lady will never fly with you again and i am sure about half of the people in the q will fly with you again as that is not how you treat paying customer. Their is no on board experience to talk about (0/10) Bad Bad Bad
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's Ryanair fer goodness sake. You get what you pay for.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:24 pm

what

It's Ryanair fer goodness sake. You get what you pay for.
No , you must treat all people with respect , its got nothing to do with the amount money you pay to be treated with dignity. Money will never ever buy you respect look at all the Billionaires in Zimbabwe but their money can't even buy a can of coke.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Flying FR is made out to be like hell on earth, but it's not really that bad. You're fortunate to be flying them in the summer, as it decreases the likelihood that weather will make a mess of things for you.
You are right. I've never known why people make it out like hell on earth. To me, it is more like hell in hell.

I've never understand why people thing that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.