Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber currency conversion setting (1.5% fee)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Uber currency conversion setting (1.5% fee)

Uber now has a "Preferred Currency" aka DCC option in the payment settings. It defaults to your home currency and there are options for USD, CAD, EUR, or no preferred currency. Choosing the last option reverts to charging all rides in local currency.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Uber now has a "Preferred Currency" aka DCC option in the payment settings. It defaults to your home currency and there are options for USD, CAD, EUR, or no preferred currency. Choosing the last option reverts to charging all rides in local currency.
Thanks for the tip! Not seeing this in my phone app or website in my account, though
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by abaheti
Thanks for the tip! Not seeing this in my phone app or website in my account, though
In the phone app I saw it under Payment > Preferred currency. It says it's a 1.5% conversion fee, which isn't terrible, but I'm still opting out!
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Majuki
In the phone app I saw it under Payment > Preferred currency. It says it's a 1.5% conversion fee, which isn't terrible, but I'm still opting out!
In my part of the world, the equivalent of "Payment" is "Wallet", and under Wallet I do not see preferred currency just yet.
abaheti likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 11:58 pm

If Uber is finally able to make currency conversions, can we pay for overseas Uber trips from USD Uber Cash?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanation

This discussion started in the Credit Card Programs forum, in THIS thread.

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2023 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
In my part of the world, the equivalent of "Payment" is "Wallet", and under Wallet I do not see preferred currency just yet.
Right now it's only "available" for rides in the US UK Canada and Eurozone

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If Uber is finally able to make currency conversions, can we pay for overseas Uber trips from USD Uber Cash?
No, when you choose a preferred currency, it says

Not Available with Uber Cash and Business Profiles. 1.5% conversion fee added....

https://www.uber.com/legal/en/docume...states&lang=en
Majuki and summerflyer like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
...when you choose a preferred currency, it says
Not Available with Uber Cash and Business Profiles. 1.5% conversion fee added....
https://www.uber.com/legal/en/docume...states&lang=en
That sucks
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:00 am

This might be the first time I ever actually opt in to DCC. Makes my Amex suddenly more viable for USD trips with the bonus points vs my usual no-forex card.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 2:32 pm

so what should i select for my uber rides in canada on my uber app? us dollar or canada?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:25 pm

I remain a little confused -- I could be wrong, but swear when I recently used Uber on South America I was charged in local currency as displayed and then my Chase card did its magic and converted to USD for me. This matches my prior experience. (In November, the amounts in question were so small due to country that I would not have noticed 1.5%... literally a few cents USD.) Does this mean/imply Uber marked up the foreign currency amount before giving it to Visa? I still don't see this currency option in my app or account via web. Could USA users be different somehow? Thanks. (Example: In Peru used it a LOT... Always quoted in Soles...strangely, I did notice my AmEx default card started giving me issues so switched to my Visa which worked fine, and I used Lyft a bunch too... ). Example:

Last edited by abaheti; Dec 29, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 29, 2023, 6:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Does this mean/imply Uber marked up the foreign currency amount before giving it to Visa?
No, it means that if you choose to have Uber bill you in USD rather than local currency they will use an exchange rate which includes 1.5% commission.
Auto Enthusiast and abaheti like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mia
No, it means that if you choose to have Uber bill you in USD rather than local currency they will use an exchange rate which includes 1.5% commission.
got it thanks! Thats what I thought. Doesn't appear as an option for me even so I'm happy to stay w local currency. I was afraid Uber was forcing USD
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:47 pm

... I was afraid Uber was forcing USD
But if that were their plan, then allowing currency conversion would be the first step. Likewise for allowing Uber Cash (prepayment) overseas.
abaheti likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Wow, this is super sneaky, and it defaults to USD too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.