Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber currency conversion setting (1.5% fee)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:42 pm

Tried this out for the first time a couple of weeks ago - US ride charged to my CAD Amex. Appreciate that Uber breaks down the conversion fee and rate on the receipt itself:

percysmith, Majuki and abaheti like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by CorSter
Tried this out for the first time a couple of weeks ago - US ride charged to my CAD Amex.
Does this make sense in your situation? Many credit cards now in the US have a 0% FTF. Those that still have a FTF will charge regardless of the transaction currency, so it's not in a US cardholder's interest to have Uber apply the conversion if the payment is processed internationally. I know many other non-US cards still have a currency exchange fee, which might be higher than the 1.5% that Uber charges.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:19 pm

Tried this out for the first time...
Thanks for reporting all the details. It's good to know how this works!
abaheti likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Does this make sense in your situation? Many credit cards now in the US have a 0% FTF. Those that still have a FTF will charge regardless of the transaction currency, so it's not in a US cardholder's interest to have Uber apply the conversion if the payment is processed internationally. I know many other non-US cards still have a currency exchange fee, which might be higher than the 1.5% that Uber charges.
The card I used has a 2.5% foreign exchange fee (no fee for foreign transactions in CAD), so it makes sense in this particular case.

I typically use a USD card for US transactions but was curious to test out the functionality.
Majuki and abaheti like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The card I used has a 2.5% foreign exchange fee (no fee for foreign transactions in CAD), so it makes sense in this particular case.

I typically use a USD card for US transactions but was curious to test out the functionality.
Thanks for the follow up and providing the data point for the thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.