Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Uber Customer Service Contact? Driver Showed Up 40 Mins Late And I Missed My Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Customer Service Contact? Driver Showed Up 40 Mins Late And I Missed My Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
Cabs aren't always reliable either. Had requested cab day ahead for international flight. No one showed. Called cab company and was told no one available. Said I should have just called that morning! They had forgotten about my reservation. Now I get the card from a good cab driver and call the driver personally. Has always worked great. Even at 5am. Works in other cities too if wanting return trip via cab. Always tip well too and it's like having a personal driver.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
They have really stripped down their customer service so not aware of options beyond in app reporting or twitter. Also wouldn’t hold your breath for any sort of fair or generous compensation.
Stripped down? Uber's customer serice was nonexistant to begin with. Unless you're top tier in their rewards program, all contact tickets go to an outsourced firm where someone copies and pastes a response that may or may not be relevant to your issue, and then closes your ticket.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
After all if it took the Uber 66 mins to arrive you would have seen how far the Uber was away from you and in any case at the 15 minute mark past a scheduled pickup time I personally abandon that plan and scramble for alternatives. Waiting passively for almost an hour for the original plan to come through is not the best bet.
This is the part I don't get. I used to be a driver myself, and also have used the rider option as well before the pandemic. When a trip is accepted, you can see the drivers progress to you, and no, Uber is not like American Airlines that gives you rolling delays in increments of 15-20 minutes. If I've seen a 66 minute delay for driver to arrive for a 5AM pick up, I'm already looking for an alternative.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:00 am

OP, try the contact info listed here:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/uber/

There is an 866 (toll-free) phone number listed.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MitchR
[...] Took a cab and the biggest surprise was that the cab fare was just $1 more.
What city was this? (I haven't taken a cab in Chicago for a few years, but I was always surprised at how inexpensive they were.)
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by diburning
Stripped down? Uber's customer serice was nonexistant to begin with. Unless you're top tier in their rewards program, all contact tickets go to an outsourced firm where someone copies and pastes a response that may or may not be relevant to your issue, and then closes your ticket.
Agreed but I started using Uber in 2012 so I remember when they had actual employees responding to support issues in a customized way (and even had a means of getting in contact over the phone!). Certainly hasn't been like that in many many years but it was there before their growth exploded.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
(Once again I am an Uber driver but only an occasional customer.)

I don't know if this helps as an Uber customer - but sometimes as an Uber driver - replying back once or twice or thrice to "customer service" email will maybe bump it up to someone who can do more than copy and paste.

Don't give up on it. Sometimes I will say - "please pass this to a supervisor." The first line of customer service does not have a lot of discretion to handle tough situations in my experience.

(One thing that was strange to me in the original post - I have never never never had a pickup that was more than a 25 minute trip for me to go get them. Maybe that is an exception for a scheduled trip - but I have literally done 10,000+ rides and it has never happened over 25 minutes. This could be specific to my market, or it could have to do with extreme traffic congestion.)
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:15 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arollins
Wow, seems that no one was picking up your ride request for it to bounce to a driver that was 66 minutes away. The $245, what is that for, the AA trip, or Uber rider? You don't specify.

I doubt Uber will cover the AA trip, maybe they can give a discount/refund on your Uber trip, but you will have to submit the claim via the app. customer service is one of those areas that has been reduced since pandemic, and it was not that great before any way.

Telephone number to Customer Service? Surprisingly when you go online to UBER.COM, there is no "contact" tab, that should say something about this "technology" company. As in other things, best to reach them via social media. Good luck.
The $245 was the price for the Uber ride. Here in California, Uber has raised the prices punitively to punish residents for the recent law that requires them to hire their drivers as employees.
As far as a driver picking up the reservation, I booked it about 2 weeks in advance. Ultimately, Uber refunded $100 of the total $342 I paid for the ride to and back from the airport. ($245 up, $97 back).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:19 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
When she turned on the app? When was she assigned to the ride? At your pick up time? Was she the only driver around? Was this the only way, let alone the most cost-effective way, to get to the airport under such high stakes?
This was pretty much the only way. I could have driven myself, but at that time of the morning, I don't trust my driving (I'm not a morning person), and add to that the likelihood that parking for my trip would have been about $200, anyway. I'd never had this kind of problem with Uber in the past, and I thought that allowing 3 hours for the (roughly) hour and a quarter trip to the airport was safe. Unanticipated: late arrival, resulting in dealing with morning traffic around 6 to 7, which increased the time of the ride.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:25 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Watchful
Did you take a later flight or just turn around and go home?
There were no later flights. Due to COVID, AA has reduced the number of flights, and the next available flight would have been the next day. I would have been downgraded to coach for the 17-hour trip, AND they wanted another $1,200 to rebook me on that flight. It would have resulted in me being in Athens for 3 days, I would have missed 2 days of prebooked tours (which were the only ones I had), and I just figured that someone was telling me that the trip was not meant to be. So, I went home, made a claim against my "cancel for any reason" travel insurance (still waiting for a response to that), and used the anticipated $500 refund of the airfare to buy myself a bidet toilet seat. A vacation of another sort, I guess. ;-)
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:28 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwallet
I've stopped using Uber or Lyft to get to the airport in the morning. It is too unreliable. I'll pay more to know that I don't have to stress over a ride and missing my flight.
Yeah, my wife and I had a bit of a fight this evening. We have another trip scheduled (to New York) this Saturday and I said I wanted to drive to the airport. She is the morning person, so she was going to have to drive, and she does not like driving in the dark. She wanted to take an Uber, and I'm too wary now. So, it looks like I'm going to have to drive while I'm still asleep.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:31 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

I would recommend next time trying to request a new ride on Lyft, Curb (old school cabs) or calling a cab company.
That wasn't really a possibility. At that hour of the morning, in my town, there are no cabs, Ubers or Lyfts less than 40 minutes or so away. That is why I prebooked.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:36 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heffa
-- First, you should have taken the trip to the airport.
I did. They would not let me board because it was within 45 minutes of the flight's departure.

If not, American will use the "flat tire rule" and rebook you on another flight, including flights from different airlines.
They would not. They said there were no other flights leaving that day to get me to Greece, and if I wanted them to rebook me on the next day's flight, they would charge an extra $1,200.

-- Second, reserv a trip on Uber/Lyft doesn't mean it has an assigned driver. It will show up in the queue for drivers like 15-30 minutes ahead of your reservation time. If you don't have a driver assign at that time, you need to start looking for alternatives.
One was assigned.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hoc
Yeah, my wife and I had a bit of a fight this evening. We have another trip scheduled (to New York) this Saturday and I said I wanted to drive to the airport. She is the morning person, so she was going to have to drive, and she does not like driving in the dark. She wanted to take an Uber, and I'm too wary now. So, it looks like I'm going to have to drive while I'm still asleep.
May not work for you but we often enjoy getting a room near the airport the night before as a way to reduce the stress - in some airport locations, the hotel will allow you to leave your car parked there and in some cases it can largely offset the cost of the room. GOOD LUCK!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Watchful
May not work for you but we often enjoy getting a room near the airport the night before as a way to reduce the stress - in some airport locations, the hotel will allow you to leave your car parked there and in some cases it can largely offset the cost of the room. GOOD LUCK!
This is true, many airport hotels have a "park & fly" rate, typically 5-7 days parking and their rates are very similar to just regular parking rates at the hotel. Free airport shuttle, and sometimes you can talk to the local hotel manager if your parking for longer time. I use this a lot in order to pad my stays at my hotel program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.