Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Uber Customer Service Contact? Driver Showed Up 40 Mins Late And I Missed My Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Customer Service Contact? Driver Showed Up 40 Mins Late And I Missed My Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:45 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist

I had an 8 am flight out of LAX, and it usually takes an hour to get there. So, I reserved an Uber for 5 am to get to the airport. She showed up 55 mins. late, getting me to the airport at 7:15 am. When she arrived, she said that, when she turned on the app, it told her it would take her 66 minutes to get to my house to pick me up. AA would not let me on the flight because I was late, and had no other available flights, today or tomorrow. So, I missed the whole trip. I have travel insurance, but I'm guessing it won't cover this. I tried to contact Uber to at least get a refund of the $245 for the trip, but there appears to be no help category covering this situation. And I can't find a customer service number. Does anyone have a contact, or any experience with Uber's policy when the driver is so late for a pre-reserved pickup?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Wow, seems that no one was picking up your ride request for it to bounce to a driver that was 66 minutes away. The $245, what is that for, the AA trip, or Uber rider? You don't specify.

I doubt Uber will cover the AA trip, maybe they can give a discount/refund on your Uber trip, but you will have to submit the claim via the app. customer service is one of those areas that has been reduced since pandemic, and it was not that great before any way.

Telephone number to Customer Service? Surprisingly when you go online to UBER.COM, there is no "contact" tab, that should say something about this "technology" company. As in other things, best to reach them via social media. Good luck.

Last edited by arollins; Oct 23, 2021 at 8:29 am
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:23 am

When she turned on the app? When was she assigned to the ride? At your pick up time? Was she the only driver around? Was this the only way, let alone the most cost-effective way, to get to the airport under such high stakes?

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Oct 23, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:31 am

I've always wondered about this too. If necessary, how does one contact this company? I'd like a better option than Twitter, since I no longer use the app, and would prefer to not load it onto my new phone.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Visconti
[...] I no longer use the app, and would prefer to not load it onto my new phone.
Sorry for the ignorant question, but how do you use Uber without using the app? (I have never used Uber but thought that app-on-phone was a requirement.)
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Sorry for the ignorant question, but how do you use Uber without using the app? (I have never used Uber but thought that app-on-phone was a requirement.)
I do use apps sparingly, and Uber is, of course, one of them. What I meant was that aside from Twitter, is there another way to contact Uber customer service? Not that I've had many occasions to, but it isn't very intuitive on their app on how to do so.

By the way, my preference to keep Twitter off my new phone isn't any kind of statement against or for the company, but it has always been my practice to avoid any form of social media.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Rereading your post, I see that you meant Twitter.
Originally Posted by Visconti
By the way, my preference to keep Twitter off my new phone isn't any kind of statement against or for the company, but it has always been my practice to avoid any form of social media.
Good for you! (I assume you mean other than FlyerTalk.)
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This may not be an option to all, and certainly not the best, but, you can always see if there is a Uber Green Light Hub nearby. This is where drivers go for their annual vehicle inspections, and communicate with representatives regarding problems.

As I mentioned on my post to this, there is no "contact" information on their website. You do it online and wait for their response, or communicate via social media. Seems that most company are doing this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:11 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Reserving a trip is always a good idea but it is not foolproof. (I am an Uber driver.). Uber does NOT reserve a driver for you but you can get bumped up in the queue and increase your chance of getting a timely ride.

Where I live the number of drivers has decreased during the pandemic, and so the number of folks late to work, etc. has increased as well due to lack of drivers.

Your case was tricky because it looks like there was a chance you could have made it so it was probably worth taking the gamble of the trip.

Did you take a later flight or just turn around and go home?

There are times that Uber customer service by email is helpful but sometimes it seems like they do not fully understand the issue. Good luck.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I've stopped using Uber or Lyft to get to the airport in the morning. It is too unreliable. I'll pay more to know that I don't have to stress over a ride and missing my flight.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:28 am

Uber customer service is pretty much non-existent. I scheduled an Uber from a restaurant to a train station. The entrance to the restaurant was set back about 150 feet from the street. It was pouring rain and the driver wouldn't drive the 150 feet to the restaurant breezeway and cancelled me as a no show so I not only didn't get the ride I was charged $5. Took a cab and the biggest surprise was that the cab fare was just $1 more.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Hoc
I had an 8 am flight out of LAX, and it usually takes an hour to get there. So, I reserved an Uber for 5 am to get to the airport. She showed up 55 mins. late, getting me to the airport at 7:15 am. When she arrived, she said that, when she turned on the app, it told her it would take her 66 minutes to get to my house to pick me up. AA would not let me on the flight because I was late, and had no other available flights, today or tomorrow. So, I missed the whole trip. I have travel insurance, but I'm guessing it won't cover this. I tried to contact Uber to at least get a refund of the $245 for the trip, but there appears to be no help category covering this situation. And I can't find a customer service number. Does anyone have a contact, or any experience with Uber's policy when the driver is so late for a pre-reserved pickup?
They have really stripped down their customer service so not aware of options beyond in app reporting or twitter. Also wouldn’t hold your breath for any sort of fair or generous compensation.

I would recommend next time trying to request a new ride on Lyft, Curb (old school cabs) or calling a cab company. After all if it took the Uber 66 mins to arrive you would have seen how far the Uber was away from you and in any case at the 15 minute mark past a scheduled pickup time I personally abandon that plan and scramble for alternatives. Waiting passively for almost an hour for the original plan to come through is not the best bet.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 26, 2021 at 10:14 am Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Yikes! You should have a driver assigned to your reserved trip not too long after you make it. If you get up for your flight and don’t have one I’d be ready to request a regular Uber. My backup plan is to drive myself, I don’t give more than 15 minutes for them to be late, or have another driver within 30 minutes of the original time or I’m in my car driving myself. I do the 3hr buffer as well when taking a Uber to the airport.

As others have said, file a dispute, chose the closest reason and state what occurred. Good luck!
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
-- First, you should have taken the trip to the airport. Sometimes flights are delayed and you will get on. If not, American will use the "flat tire rule" and rebook you on another flight, including flights from different airlines. Even fully booked flights have space available from last minutes cancellations, travel delays etc.
-- Second, reserv a trip on Uber/Lyft doesn't mean it has an assigned driver. It will show up in the queue for drivers like 15-30 minutes ahead of your reservation time. If you don't have a driver assign at that time, you need to start looking for alternatives. Search Uber, Lyft, calling local companies.
-- If you really want to do a reservation, then it is much better to contact a local taxi company one day ahead. They will more likely have a driver assigned, especially if it is for a super early trip at 5 AM. There are not many drivers available at that time, especially on Uber/Lyft. And if you live far away like you wrote, then there are even less drivers available.
-- No need to make a statement about social media. Just create a throwaway email and use it for Twitter, Facebook, or similar. Then contact Customer Service and delete the account when the issue is resolved.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MitchR
Uber customer service is pretty much non-existent. I scheduled an Uber from a restaurant to a train station. The entrance to the restaurant was set back about 150 feet from the street. It was pouring rain and the driver wouldn't drive the 150 feet to the restaurant breezeway and cancelled me as a no show so I not only didn't get the ride I was charged $5. Took a cab and the biggest surprise was that the cab fare was just $1 more.
I had an issue with trying to enable 2-factor authentication. Actually, I think it started when Uber and Uber Eats seemed to have separate passwords. In any case, I can get to my account through the apps but I can't reset the password. Customer service is chat/email based and don't seem to be able to follow simple descriptions. They just recite off of a script. If your problem isn't on their list of answers, I don't think you get an answer.

Another time I wanted to complain that I thought I got the wrong order on Uber Eats and it just refunded me the whole amount rather than some small amount for the price difference. I went back and forth with the restaurant and finally just ended up Venmo-ing the guy a lot more money than the order because it wasn't his fault that Uber is so broken.

Oh, and lately, I seem to be chasing the car through the neighborhood because they don't stop where I ask them to.

I might start taking the "airport limousine" again if this happens more frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.