Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Prices to/from Airports, especially with Uber

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I expect to visit Chicago 2-3 times per year. Approximate specific $$ savings with going FROM the rental car center? Would a rideshare TO the rental car center save any $$? Thank you. Outstanding, save time AND money, thank you.
ORD has its own shuttle to the car rental center, no need to use rideshare for it unless you want to. Save your money for something else.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… I expect to visit Chicago 2-3 times per year. Approximate specific $$ savings with going FROM the rental car center? Would a rideshare TO the rental car center save any $$? …
Originally Posted by arollins
ORD has its own shuttle to the car rental center, no need to use rideshare for it unless you want to. Save your money for something else.
Thank you for the reply. I didn’t phrase my questions accurately, I wasn’t suggesting a rideshare from the terminal to the rental car center.

Approximate specific $$ rideshare savings with going FROM the rental car center to downtown (Loop area) compared to from the terminal to downtown?

Would a rideshare TO the rental car center from downtown save any $$ compared to from downtown to the terminal?
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Would a rideshare TO the rental car center from downtown save any $$ compared to from downtown to the terminal?
Rideshare pricing is very dynamic, I would say that it could save at least $10. I just did a dummy pricing from my home to ORD, and to the car rental center and it was $8 cheaper to the rental center. I guess its one of those things you need to check when pricing the ride. You also need to add the time from the rental center to the airport, as you lug around your luggage.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:07 pm

We do not set out prices

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
With Uber's independent contractor method at California, I have also suffered from these driver tricks ( setting up their own prices ), especially from airports so I mostly choose Lyft. Although, the Uber app might show cheaper rates, they are generally not valid because of each driver setting up their own ride price; however, in Lyft, I always paid the amount that is shown on the app.

One of the Uber drivers in the area told me that the price range in the app could be easily manipulated in California by the drivers and most riders does directly accept surcharges when they are offered to do so.

We do not set our own prices anywhere and if you think Lyft is any better than Uber, you’re definitely way way wrong because Lyft is the king of this nonsense & they will literally charge you more per mile & for my actual time using my actual car than they pay me & they will adjust your price for all the things that can happen in traffic, but they won’t adjust mine for anything. You were not the victim of “driver tricks” we however are being victimized by your willful ignorance that common sense should alleviate if you actually used it. What makes more sense here every single individual Lyft Driver making up their own prices and being shady or a company worth billions trying to pull the proverbial wool over everyone’s eyes? You could apologize whenever you’re ready.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Tobin3of4
We do not set our own prices anywhere and if you think Lyft is any better than Uber, you’re definitely way way wrong because Lyft is the king of this nonsense & they will literally charge you more per mile & for my actual time using my actual car than they pay me & they will adjust your price for all the things that can happen in traffic, but they won’t adjust mine for anything. You were not the victim of “driver tricks” we however are being victimized by your willful ignorance that common sense should alleviate if you actually used it. What makes more sense here every single individual Lyft Driver making up their own prices and being shady or a company worth billions trying to pull the proverbial wool over everyone’s eyes? You could apologize whenever you’re ready.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.
My post that you quoted was from 2021 and please find what I was speaking here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/2...aw-gig-workers

Obviously, Uber got rid of this at some point that year and the issue is solved.
Also, here in FlyerTalk we do argue about facts, not other posters. ( Edited this part to be more welcoming )
3544quebec and PanAmSam like this.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Jan 25, 2024 at 8:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.