Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Some of these comments are unreal. The point of rideshare apps is never having to carry cash or wallet. Whether someone tips or doesn't via the app - that shouldn't be the basis of their rating as a passenger.
Agreed. And my company requires us to use the corporate Uber or Lyft direct bill account and will not reimburse for tips or rides done outside of it. I explain to the drivers I will tip them (why would I not - I'm not paying it out of pocket) but I must do so in the app because that is the only way my company will pay it. I understand it's my choice to be in a role that requires travel for my job, but I think it's unreasonable for drivers to get bent out of shape or give a low rating if someone doesn't hand over cash. That can be $40-50 over a couple days easily. I'm already paying a pet sitter (plus tip) at home when I'm gone that I'm not getting back. If company is going to pay, I'm gonna use the app.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
To Tip or Not to Tip ?

I think we’d all agree that Uber/Lyft frequent cancellations are outrageous and should be unacceptable, in many other industries cancellations lead directly to bankruptcy. Frequent cancellations also make the tipping decision more challenging.

Live and Let’s Fly recently described a ride which was exemplary of that challenge. Uber’s performance was terrible and unsatisfactory and (in most people’s eyes) worthy of rate reduction and customer service compensation. The driver’s performance (wrong turn decision aside) was basically fine and deserving of a generous tip.

How do you balance the evaluation, and tip, of the driver and the company? Does concern for your rating (from the driver) factor into that decision. How do you balance cash tip with earning points or miles (for a tip on a CC)?

(FWIW, my thoughts: I was taught to be a generous tipper. I used to tip almost every ride, unless the driver did something egregious, 20-25%. After many wildly inaccurate pick-up times and many cancellations (and delays) getting to an airport during the past year, I’ve changed my thoughts. Now my default tip is 10%, maybe be higher if the driver does something exceptional. Additionally, after fighting with Uber recently about an increased charge for a ride where the driver ended the ride on the App 3-4 miles AFTER he dropped me off which I didn’t notice until I saw the charge (and tip) post to my CC, I now tip to result in an exact even $ amount charged to my CC which makes it easier to notice an erroneous charge.)
arollins likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.