Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers

Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

[Moderator note, when this post was in another thread in this forum, the member included a quote from another member. However, since threads abut tipping have been moved to this new thread, and the opening post can stand on its own, the opening post's quote of another member has been edited out.]

When Uber first started they were paying their drivers a fair compensation They got to be cheap with their drivers and started dropping fares and also the drivers comp. Seeing fares are lower I tend to tip better now. My friend that drives for Uber also says non tippers get lower ratings from him.

I know it's like not tipping a hotel housekeeper, a lot of people feel they shouldn't have to tip.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 30, 2021 at 2:53 pm Reason: Please see note above.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
When Uber first started they were paying their drivers a fair compensation They got to be cheap with their drivers and started dropping fares and also the drivers comp. Seeing fares are lower I tend to tip better now. My friend that drives for Uber also says non tippers get lower ratings from him.
This really bugs me. I don't always remember or am not able to tip immediately if I'm getting out of the car with a bunch of bags in the rain or whatnot. But I'll almost always send a tip within a short while. I assume the driver rates the passenger immediately, so I'm probably getting dinged for this, unless the driver can then change the rating retroactively.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This really bugs me. I don't always remember or am not able to tip immediately if I'm getting out of the car with a bunch of bags in the rain or whatnot. But I'll almost always send a tip within a short while. I assume the driver rates the passenger immediately, so I'm probably getting dinged for this, unless the driver can then change the rating retroactively.
That's why I tip cash now. I'd think most people that say they are going to tip in the app would and am surprised that many lie, especially when you get an email right after with the option to add the tip. I don't always have smaller bills for a tip and if it's a short ride I may want to use my am ex monthly Uber credit towards the tip.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
As a driver, I prefer a cash tip. Something to have whenever I stop at a gas station or convenience store to get some water, soda, etc. The whole "I'll tip you in the app" is similar to "the check is in the mail" 99% don't do it. If you really want to tip in the app, you can tip while the ride is going on, in case you didn't know.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by arollins
If you really want to tip in the app, you can tip while the ride is going on, in case you didn't know.
I legitimately didnt know that, but I will do this in the future. 👍
Old Feb 27, 2021, 1:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This seems to be saying that Uber drivers expect a cash tip in the US. If not received, they'll give you a low rating?

I always tip via the app when in the US. It may be hours later (at the same time I give my rating), but I always do it.

If i'm getting a low rating, even after tipping, then I'll stop tipping all together when in the US. Note - I rarely carry cash (who needs to these days?).
Old Feb 27, 2021, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This seems to be saying that Uber drivers expect a cash tip in the US. If not received, they'll give you a low rating?
My rating is 4.90 and I always tip but I have never given a cash tip.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Some of these comments are unreal. The point of rideshare apps is never having to carry cash or wallet. Whether someone tips or doesn't via the app - that shouldn't be the basis of their rating as a passenger.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Some of these comments are unreal. The point of rideshare apps is never having to carry cash or wallet. Whether someone tips or doesn't via the app - that shouldn't be the basis of their rating as a passenger.
I can understand a driver rating someone lower for not tipping. The guy I know who drives for Uber said sometimes he'll base pickups on a busy night on ratings and won't pick up a lower rated passenger. If a passenger isn't going to tip, I can understand a driver wanting to pick up someone that would tip.

He drives a couple food delivery gigs as well and said he isn't even doing Uber much anymore since he makes more at those and doesn't have paasengers in his car. I know when I order doordash I can pretip in the app and he said when he gets an order on a food delivery gig it will show how much he'll make and the distance before accepting an order and Uber doesn't show him the distance or how much he makes until he shows up at the persons house. Sounds like Uber needs to change their app so the person can tip ahead of time and have it show the driver how much they'll make and where they'll be going before they accept a ride.

I understand drivers wanting tipped. People tip their pizza driver (well they should, but I know from delivering pizzas in college a lot of people don't) and it's the same wear and tear on their car, people tip a sky club bartender for getting them a diet coke, they tip a taxi driver or shuttle driver, they tip a bartender for opening a bottle of beer.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I respect your comments but food delivery is very different from rideshare and using the app. Food delivery typically is tipped on speed of delivery and it is neat (unscrambled due to rocky ride) upon arrival. If I'm going to airport with cashless app - it is impossible to tip prior to trip as what if car smells of smoke, or driver has odor, driver is unsafe (almost caused an accident) or doesn't even attempt to help me with my bags in the trunk. Upon arrival at airport I may not tip until I arrive at my destination as other priorities. I will tip but not immediately - it is unfortunate and unfair for a driver to rate a passenger based on their tip.
E.g. if I tip the driver 25% but it is 7 hrs later after I fly cross-country - does he/she think I didn't tip and give me a low rating despite I was at meeting point ontime, had only 1 bag, didn't have loud phone conversation and said Good Morning/Thank you. Just food for thought - assumptions shouldn't apply and one set of rules doesn't apply to all.

I'd also add there are many many studies of assumptions on tips based on class, race, etc. so this could turn into a bias class action if it turns out due to continual bad reviews for certain races, they are less likely to be picked up or chosen by a driver vs. others. I think this already applies for AirB&B and assume certain images would also generate same response based on some locations.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An uber driver is putting as many miles on his car for a trip as a food delivery driver. If someone isn't going to tip a cab driver or a shuttle driver then I can understand why they wouldn't tip an uber driver, but if you are tipping a cab or shuttle driver why wouldn't you tip an Uber driver for providing the same service?

I agree tipping is getting out of hand in this county though. They should just pay people a decent wage. My friends complaint with Uber is they keep dropping their payouts and he's at the point he is ready to do food delivery only and I don't blame him if he is making more and doesn't have to transport people in his car during a pandemic.

Someone in my office told me you are expected to tip employees at pot shops and there is a tip jar at the cash register of a small store by my condo.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
An uber driver is putting as many miles on his car for a trip as a food delivery driver. If someone isn't going to tip a cab driver or a shuttle driver then I can understand why they wouldn't tip an uber driver, but if you are tipping a cab or shuttle driver why wouldn't you tip an Uber driver for providing the same service?

I agree tipping is getting out of hand in this county though. They should just pay people a decent wage. My friends complaint with Uber is they keep dropping their payouts and he's at the point he is ready to do food delivery only and I don't blame him if he is making more and doesn't have to transport people in his car during a pandemic.

Someone in my office told me you are expected to tip employees at pot shops and there is a tip jar at the cash register of a small store by my condo.
As others have said, I have no problem with tipping Uber drivers, but I want to do it in the app once the ride is complete and I'm at a convenient place to do so.

I always hate being in a cab, watching the meter trying to figure out what it's going to end up at and what a good tip would be on that, fishing around to see what bills I have to pay with, hoping it doesn't trip to the next dollar or more since I only have 3 1s, etc. Worse when this is all in unfamiliar foreign currency, in the dark, with the car blocking traffic adding pressure. The whole point of app-based transportation with payment methods already set up is to remove all that stress.

If drivers can see whether you've tipped yet or not before they enter their rating, then perhaps they should have to wait an hour or so to enter their rating.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmastron
As others have said, I have no problem with tipping Uber drivers, but I want to do it in the app once the ride is complete and I'm at a convenient place to do so.

I always hate being in a cab, watching the meter trying to figure out what it's going to end up at and what a good tip would be on that, fishing around to see what bills I have to pay with, hoping it doesn't trip to the next dollar or more since I only have 3 1s, etc. Worse when this is all in unfamiliar foreign currency, in the dark, with the car blocking traffic adding pressure. The whole point of app-based transportation with payment methods already set up is to remove all that stress.

If drivers can see whether you've tipped yet or not before they enter their rating, then perhaps they should have to wait an hour or so to enter their rating.
I'm going to have to ask my friend if the driver can change a rating on a passenger like a passenger can change the rating on a driver. I'd much rather go cashless as well, especially if I'm doing a short trip and can use it against my Am Ex monthly uber credit and on a busienss trip it's easier to get reimbursed for.

I do hate pretipping though like Doordash wants you to do. I always tip ahead of time so the driver will be more likely to accept the order but hate it when a driver shows up with no mask at the door (and there are signs on the entrance door, the doors to the stiars and on all the elevator doors saying masks must be worn in all public areas), would love to be able to rescind part of the tip like you can do on instacart.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure Doordash or at least some of the delivery services let you change your tip. I've definitely read articles about people putting in high tips to "insure prompt service" but then they dramatically drop the tip at the very end (I think they can even do it after delivery).

Uber needs to require the drivers to input the passenger rating before they find out what their tip is, if they want to eliminate the ability for people to "buy" good ratings. (I'm not saying that Uber necessarily wants to do that, but as a "late tipper" myself, I do think it has impacted my rating in the past.)
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Uber needs to require the drivers to input the passenger rating before they find out what their tip is, if they want to eliminate the ability for people to "buy" good ratings. (I'm not saying that Uber necessarily wants to do that, but as a "late tipper" myself, I do think it has impacted my rating in the past.)
They do that, that's the way it has always been, once the ride is over, driver swipes to end ride, and then he must rate the rider immediately, unlike a passenger, who has time to rate the driver. No, we as driver can not change the rating for a passenger. There is no "downrating" due to no tip.
ijgordon likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.