Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
4.81 have never tipped. Have used Uber in 5 or 6 different countries and all over the US.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I'm starting to think ratings could be regional. I had a 5.0 throughout my week in China, and now that I'm back in Canada it shows 4.92 which is up from 4.91 before I left.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I think in DFW-land you might get a ratings bonus for an airport run. My first driver told me, "I want to drive people like you, going to the airport." He said that sobriety is a real plus as well.

I've only used Uber twice, both airport runs, no tips. I'm a 5.0. Also proof that I'm new, obviously.

A cab to the airport is $60 all-in; Uber, $35.

Thanks for the instructions on how to pull up my rating.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:17 am

Are FT'ers adverse to tipping?

I am perplexed by all the "I've ridden with Uber XX times and my rating is X.X and I've never tipped." In all those rides, has no driver distinguished themselves by providing good service, a timely arrival, a clean and comfortable vehicle and a safe drive? Are those of us who make a good living, well above the average, enjoy all the perks and benefits of an expense account, so isolated from those that do not share our good fortune that we cannot spare a ccouple of dollars to reward them when they have deserved it? I realize that not all FT'ers are high earners, but those that are, and do not tip for good service, should be ashamed.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyme2
In all those rides, has no driver distinguished themselves by providing good service, a timely arrival, a clean and comfortable vehicle and a safe drive?
Providing those things doesn't "distinguish" a driver - that's what a driver is supposed to provide. Assuming he or she does, I provide a five star rating.

For taxis, where there's a longstanding expectations of tipping, and the fare structure is created with that in mind, I tip.

For Uber, there's no expectation of, or precedent for, tipping, so I don't tip unless the driver does something above and beyond.

I'll note that most of my Ubering is in NYC, where the UberX rates are set to be roughly comparable to taxi rates, if you include a tip for the taxi but not for Uber.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Aug 11, 2016 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
One of Uber's selling points, my friend, is that the whole experience is supposed to be both seamless and cashless. And their app, as we all know, doesn't have a tipping option (which would add an extra step and extra complexity).

I have no personal experience, but I've heard tell that those who feel as you do -- both drivers and riders -- generally go with Lyft. Different business model.

There are also folks who don't carry cash -- especially a quantity of small bills suitable for tipping,

I'll just leave Europe's generally tipless culture aside, but you might look up "Bedienung inbegriffen" or "service compris" some day just for yucks. Again, I have no personal experience, but I've also heard that when Europeans come to the US for the first time, they're often in for a rather rude awakening on this front.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flyme2
In all those rides, has no driver distinguished themselves by providing good service, a timely arrival, a clean and comfortable vehicle and a safe drive?
That's not good service. That is standard service, or at least what it should be. No reason to tip for it.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
That's not good service. That is standard service, or at least what it should be. No reason to tip for it.
Thank you, I was worried when I read flyme2's post that I was getting way too old thinking a car service should be on time with clean cars and knowing how to use a GPS.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by theddo
Thank you, I was worried when I read flyme2's post that I was getting way too old thinking a car service should be on time with clean cars and knowing how to use a GPS.
Well I am old, probably twice the age of most current FT'ers. I have taken too many taxis in my life from Boston to Yogyakarta abd Krabi to Rio where my personal safety was at issue or a flagrant attempt to cheat me was attempted. Forgive me if I feel a few dollars is considered beyond the realm of possibilities by some. I will continue to tip for whatever reasons I see fit, and dissenters will continue not to. Perhaps it's a generational thing and attitudes will change once a certain level of longevity is attained.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

This is the new lowest I've seen for a customer. Though to be honest, she put in as a pickup point an address a half mile from where she was and when I called to ask her where she really was, she didn't know.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
My rating is still at a 5.0.

Used Uber for about 2 years, mostly just when traveling, both around the US and in Brazil and Vietnam.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10

This is the new lowest I've seen for a customer. Though to be honest, she put in as a pickup point an address a half mile from where she was and when I called to ask her where she really was, she didn't know.
LOL...wonder how many times Raquel has puked in a car.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by CMK10

I've heard that Uber drivers can be selective in picking up riders. Is there an easy way for them to avoid picking up someone with a certain rating?

And perhaps she was visiting the area? Sometimes I just put in a hotel for pickup and have no idea what the address is, maybe not even the street.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I often put in the hotel name, but I always make sure the app actually recognizes it with an address. To date, I don't think I've had a problem where either the Uber or Lyft app didn't populate an address for my hotel. By the time I type in "Marriott", I can then select my specific hotel from a list without typing the address.

If Raquel was a half-mile off from her pickup spot, she probably did something wrong.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've heard that Uber drivers can be selective in picking up riders. Is there an easy way for them to avoid picking up someone with a certain rating?

And perhaps she was visiting the area? Sometimes I just put in a hotel for pickup and have no idea what the address is, maybe not even the street.
There's no easy way that I know of, short of seeing they have a low rating and then letting the request expire. We actually talked a bit and she was attending law school at Duke, she was just a little drunk was all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.