Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Mine is a 4.96... higher than I had expected, since I don't hand out cash tips.

Thanks to cestmoi123 for making it easy to find our ratings.
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
For Android (might be the same for iPhone, I don't know):

1. Tap on three lines icon in top right.
2. Select Help
3. Select Report an Issue: Account
4. Select I'd like to know my rating
5. Tap Submit
Old May 2, 2016, 5:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
4.3 And I don't know why, since I've always only given 5's with a a couple of 4's.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:19 am

5.0. I've only used Uber for 4 or 5 trips.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:00 am

4.79; I don't give out tips and I've never really had an issue with any driver, though I can attest to probably getting one low rating when I booked an Uber trip for my mom and the driver and my mom had a disagreement about politics and social issues that the driver had brought up.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:18 pm

4.93 on 20+ trips.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:30 pm

4.70 after 330+ rides, $18k+ spent, with the average ride being 9.15 miles / 37 minutes.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
4.79; I don't give out tips and I've never really had an issue with any driver, though I can attest to probably getting one low rating when I booked an Uber trip for my mom and the driver and my mom had a disagreement about politics and social issues that the driver had brought up.
Exact same rating here.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:51 pm

Why Passengers should Care About Their Ratings?

Hi. I'm an uber/Lyft driver and thought I'd give some insight on how many drivers rate their passengers. Every driver is different but the consensus is:
5* — (a) no issues during the trip, (b) pax is waiting outside or comes out within 1 min., (c) pax pre-enters destination, and (d) pax tips or there's a 1.5x surge or higher

4* — (a) no issues during the trip and (b) pax is waiting outside or comes out within 1 min.

3* — (a) minor issue during the trip (pax is rude/a jerk), or (b) pax makes me wait for 4-5+ min. at the pick up, especially during a surge, or (c) pax makes more than one 4-5 min.+ stop during the route, or (d) passenger drops the pin in the wrong spot (assuming it's still close enough to not cancel)

2* — (a) pax is exceedingly rude, menacing, arguing with other passengers, etc., or (b) pax leaves trash in the car

1* — (a) pax vomits or otherwise dirties the vehicle, or (b) pax causes a major incident like assaulting another passenger, flirting with the driver during the ride, etc. or (c) pax damages the vehicle or (d) a pax drinks alcohol or consumes drugs in the car

Why Should Passengers Care About Their Rating?

Uber drivers can be and are deactivated for a 4.6 or below rating (depends on the market).

Many drivers feel it's unfair that passengers with 4.6 or below aren't removed from the Uber platform. Drivers have had passengers assault them (myself included) and unless it makes the news Uber does nothing but make sure the driver and assaulting passenger are never pared together again. It's common knowledge among drivers (and my personal experience), that when you file a serious issue with a passenger complaint, Uber will remove that trip from your history, especially if it's a prosecutable offense.

All that said drivers use the passenger rating during a request to decide whether or not they're going to take the request. Is a passenger rated 4.6 or below a safety issue, just rude, or a piker?

Personally, being a female driver, I won't risk it. I won't pick up a pax with a rating lower than 4.7 at night. I've already experienced a violent drunk pax and a group of men explain in explicit sexual detail how they want to tip me after the ride. During the day I will consider 4.5 or higher.

The number 1 thing that upsets most drivers is when a rider does not respect my time, This will cause a low rating every time.

Contrary to popular rider opinion, us drivers get to the pickup as quickly as possible, very often the eta is way off. No driver purposely gets the late. We all want theveryone ride to go smoothly, be ready when we get there.

Extra stops is my time. Yeah it's only 5 minutes at 7-11 but I wanted 4min for him to get in the car and another 3min for his buddy to say good bye to some drunk in the parking lot, i drove 4 or 5 min to get them. Those minutes add up quick and are a good portion of any Friday or Saturday night. Compensate me for that stop! 7-11 gives cash back.

Obviously the best way to improve a rating, cash. Contrary to what the public wants to believe, your Uber driver does want a tip. Do we expect one? Well no only because we've been disappointed so many times. Pile four drunks in my car and go 1.5 miles, I expect a tip, common sense.

For me i really want my rider to respect my time, my car and be civil. It's not hard. I don't need them to be my best friend but I do enjoy a good conversation.

Again, the easiest way for a rider to increase their rating is cash. We can be bought! We don't make nearly as much money as Uber would like you to believe, not even close. 2 bucks on a minimun fare makes me happy. When I'm happy I give 5s.

Oh, people in the service industry, bartenders and servers, when they don't tip it's extra insulting. You have no idea, I get a little mad about it. There's no excuse as far as I'm concerned, they would not except an excuse from me if they waited on me. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize I'm not making a whole lot of money driving them if they only pay 6 buck for their ride. I do absolutely rate low when a server/bartender does not tip. Same for dancers.

Don't automatically assume eating food in the car is okay, ask permission first (time of day and type of food may yield different results - your apple at lunch is probably okay but your taco at bar time is not). If you must consume a beverage during your ride make sure it's in a bottle with a cap or a cup with a lid, no open cups. And don't spill it.

If you have food with you, whether it's left overs, take-out, or whatever don't set the potentially (and likely) greasy box/bag/container on the upholstery. News flash - that stuff tends to leave stains.

Don't ask to overload a car with too many passengers (UberX, that means 4 max and UberXL that means 6). I still take passengers if they split the group up but the rider automatically gets 2 or 3 stars depending upon attitude).

Immediately during/after large events like concerts and sporting events, where there are large amounts of people seeking transportation and/or large amounts of pedestrian traffic be proactively smart with your pickup location. Instead of pinging the pickup right at the main exit where EVERYONE else is, walk a block or two to a less busy place and request pickup there instead. Not only is it easier for the driver to find you but it's also likely quicker for him/her to drive there and you'll possibly avoid getting stuck in a traffic jam on the way out too.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:02 pm

Here's a link to a great video that explains the importance of passenger ratings. It's funny too.
john2g1 and flyguy6 like this.

Last edited by denFAC; May 19, 2016 at 1:15 pm
Old May 19, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by denFAC
Hi. I'm an uber/Lyft driver and thought I'd give some insight on how many drivers rate their passengers. Every driver is different but the consensus is:
5* — (a) no issues during the trip, (b) pax is waiting outside or comes out within 1 min., (c) pax pre-enters destination, and (d) pax tips or there's a 1.5x surge or higher

4* — (a) no issues during the trip and (b) pax is waiting outside or comes out within 1 min.
Even though Uber concedes that "tips are not included, they are not required, but they would be appreciated." So your car is a mandatory tip?
Old May 19, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by denFAC
TL;DR - An Uber driver posted a long rant about how all riders should tip, or they deserve a 1* rating.
My rating is 4.88, and I have never tipped on Uber.
  • I always enter a specific pickup location, like an easily visible restaurant.
  • I show up outside and am always waiting for the driver to arrive.
  • I do not take anything that the Uber driver offers.
  • I talk if the Uber driver talks, or if they do not, I simply ask how their day is.
  • At arrival, I always graciously thank the driver and make sure not to slam the door.

I have a good friend of mine who is abrasive. He has a 4.6-ish passenger rating. We often go out together, and order an Uber once we leave the movie/restaurant/bar at the same time. There has never been a single occasion where he was unable to get a ride. In fact, on many occasions, his driver is closer than mine and he gets to leave before me.

This whole line that people like denFAC are feeding that drivers won't accept rides from passengers with low ratings is a total farce. Drivers pick up pretty much anyone because that ride is their income.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by sig05
Even though Uber concedes that "tips are not included, they are not required, but they would be appreciated." So your car is a mandatory tip?
That's my thought, penalizing riders for not tipping is against UBERs core policies. I'm sure UBER would love to know this users account information.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
4.43 here
Old May 20, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
That's my thought, penalizing riders for not tipping is against UBERs core policies. I'm sure UBER would love to know this users account information.
I have no problem tipping drivers for good service, but if the driver is on their phone, taking bad routes, etc., then I shouldn't be forced to tip to give me a better rating.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
4.5 here. I check my rating on a regular basis. It seems that if I chat with the driver, I get better ratings, but if I get in, greet the driver, and then do my own thing (catch up on emails on my phone, etc) I seem to get lower ratings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.