Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:16 pm

Have taken 5 rides this week with no change in my passenger rating

Even saw a driver rate me 5 stars prior to me getting out of the car this morning, still no change.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I think updates happen weekly rather than after a new rating is received. Supposed to help prevent tying a specific rating change to a specific ride to permit some level of anonymity.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments
I think updates happen weekly rather than after a new rating is receiver.
Updates used (is?) to be instantaneous and one could see a rise/drop after the ride. I haven’t checked my score last few months.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by heffa

Updates used (is?) to be instantaneous and one could see a rise/drop after the ride. I haven’t checked my score last few months.
For the last month or two I’ve only noticed my rating to change on Tuesdays. Could be an averaging factor but I’ve been watching it after I got one low rating and lost my perfect 5.0 and it always only changes on Tuesdays despite rides 4 or 5 days per week.

Last edited by Segments; Apr 16, 2018 at 12:46 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Segments
I think updates happen weekly rather than after a new rating is received. Supposed to help prevent tying a specific rating change to a specific ride to permit some level of anonymity.
As it should be. Any party, driver, or passenger, can go back and change the rating given from the receipt email. This stops either party from finding out who gave which rating, which prevents retaliatory re-ratings.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning
As it should be. Any party, driver, or passenger, can go back and change the rating given from the receipt email. This stops either party from finding out who gave which rating, which prevents retaliatory re-ratings.
I consider downgrading a non-tipping passenger to be "retaliatory" myself.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:00 am

5 star
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:41 pm

I have a 4.93 rating.
426 Rides taken.
1939 miles.

Why I may have gotten dinged:

- Short trips. I take a lot of short trips. A lot of drivers do not like short trips. But what driver's need to realize is that some people are literally unable to drive. I have Cerebral Palsy, and Uber helps me to be independent. So think about that next time you want to ding someone for doing a short trip. Maybe Uber was literally the only way they could get there.

- One time I was in the locker room at the gym and all of a sudden I get a phone call from an Uber driver saying they were at some intersection waiting for me. I remember saying that I never called an Uber. Turns out my phone called an Uber in my pocket. To where I don't know, but that was scary. I don't know if he dinged me, but I deserved that one if he did.

- I had a guy one time pick me up at the grocery store and he demanded that I got in the back seat, and he was all "MAKE SURE NOTHING FALLS OUT, I DON'T WANT ALL THAT STUFF SPILLED IN MY BACKSEAT!"....He dinged me. I dinged him, too.

- Another reason I may have gotten dinged is in the past, if I needed to go to the store for just a couple of things, I sometimes would ask the driver to wait for me. And I would try to be quick. I've only done this because I have had drivers offer to wait for me, so I thought they were all willing. If I ever got dinged for that, I can understand that looking back.

- I once had to severely ding a guy who picked up a friend and myself when he picked us up and had a lit cigar in an ashtray on his arm rest. I gave him two stars instead of 1, but only because we did reach our destination with no problems (safely). But when we got back to our hotel, I reported him.

Also, and this is a big one that I am personally working through, Do NOT ask me about "What I have", "My physical situation", say things that "My friend/relative has (insert disability here) is that what you have?" Even though this isn't that big of a deal, I don't like when they ask if I need help getting in/out of their vehicle. You wouldn't ask someone who walked like you if they need help, so don't ask me just because I walk a little differently. I have never dinged a driver for asking about my legs, even though I really had to fight with myself over it and convince myself not to.

Seriously though, I love Uber because it gives me the freedom and independence I have always strived for. I can take myself independently to the store, doctors appointments/dentist appointments/etc. I was even able to go to Jury duty by myself a couple of weeks ago. These things are things that people without disabilities often take for granted.

Okay I am going to shut up before this goes any longer

Side-Note: I really wish there was a rating breakdown (How many 5s-4s-3s) and so-on you have. I think that would be cool. I've been curious.
cestmoi123 and diburning like this.

Last edited by TheIcePrynce; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:49 pm Reason: Side note
Old May 21, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Interestingly my Uber rating seems to always drop after rides taken in NYC whereas it goes up when taking rides in other US cities/abroad. On the other hand, the only place where I have had drivers calling and then rejecting the ride (presumably because of a too short distance) or playing around the waiting game and trying to collect the fee for cancellation has been NYC.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:58 am

Ya, for some reason NYC drivers seem to give us lower ratings. But that might be because we use them to go out with friends and party and rowdier than usual.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I just got an email including the info that 61 of my 67 rides were rated a 5 by the driver. I had a solid 5.0 until I skipped a couple of tips a while back, suddenly plummeting to a 4.66; it's now up to 4.77. I suppose there were a couple of vicious drivers over the missing tips, and a few others who gave 3 or 4?

Frustrating that Uber won't report an aggregate daily tip total to drivers, making it harder for them to be punative.
Segments likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Frustrating that Uber won't report an aggregate daily tip total to drivers, making it harder for them to be punative.
I hand my drivers a couple of bucks. That way they know I am deserving of a 5.0.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
You're making a huge assumption that they will remember you when they go back in to maliciously re-rate passengers after seeing the ride receipts. If that driver gives many rides, they aren't likely to remember which one handed them the cash tip.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by diburning
You're making a huge assumption that they will remember you when they go back in to maliciously re-rate passengers after seeing the ride receipts. If that driver gives many rides, they aren't likely to remember which one handed them the cash tip.

Are they not required to rate passengers immediately after the ride?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 747FC

Are they not required to rate passengers immediately after the ride?
That's what I thought too. Pretty sure they have to rate the passenger before the app will allow them to move on to the next fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.