First Uber experience

Old Sep 15, 15, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
First Uber experience

So, I broke my Uber cherry the other day, requesting a pick-up just after my luggage came off the carousel at London Gatwick, and thought I would share my experience.

Timeline
00:07 Load my bags onto a trolley and request a pickup to take me home
00:07 Immediate confirmation "9 mins away" along with driver name and registration number (license plate)
00:15 Arrive at pick-up point to find car already there
00:47 Pull up outside my house, thank driver and go in

Pros

• Excellent expectation management - the car was there slightly earlier than estimated
  • Car a late model and clean inside
  • Driver pleasant & driving style "postive pace" i.e. he didn't hang about but it all felt safe and controlled
  • Invoice was available online as I came out of the shower

Cons

• Fare pricing was a bit misleading - intially on the app, it quoted me 24.10, which is competitive against my local cabco (29.00), and when we arrived the driver's phone stated 20.14. However looking at the invoice I see that the total was actually 35.14 with my intro discount voucher of 15.00 netted off...
  • This makes them about 6.00 more expensive than my local (and very reliable) cabco, who have never once let me down in 50+ pickups

Conclusion

Pretty impressed with how slickly everything worked, but would probably only use them for convenience when for whatever reason I was unable to book ahead...
Old Sep 20, 15, 8:58 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALLPlus Platinum (formerly known as Le Club AccorHotels), Hertz PC
What was the breakdown in the invoice to come up to that total?
Old Sep 22, 15, 11:35 am

First Uber experience

I just signed up for Lynx and a friend referee me a promo.... However it's good for only 30 days... Do u think they will extend it out so I can use it just after the 30 day period?
Old Sep 23, 15, 6:13 am

Programs: LCAH Gold
I believe that fare estimation is rather accurate on the Uber app. Occasionally, I have rides which are more expensive than what I expected, but because the driver did choose a longer route.

If so, just reach out the Uber customer service by replying to the invoice sent by email. They will check if the route the driver took is the shortest. If not, they will adjust the fare and credit the difference on your credit card.

The customer service is really helpful and responsive.
Old Sep 23, 15, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by sanfran8080 View Post
I just signed up for Lynx and a friend referee me a promo.
If you mean Lyft, my experience is that they will keep sending you more promo codes so long as you don't use any of them. I let two batches of intro codes expire and the third time they sent me ten $10 coupons good for 30 days.

OP, as the fare estimator, I believe it always assumes the shortest route which may not be the fastest. My preference would be to get there the fastest but you can always request the driver take a specific route. Many Uber/Lyft drivers use Waze which prioritizes time over shortest distance.

Last edited by Dunbar; Sep 23, 15 at 3:50 pm
Old Sep 24, 15, 9:54 pm

First Lyft experience

I haven't used Uber yet, but I used Lyft yesterday for the first time. It was an emergency because I developed a bad blister on my foot and couldn't walk at all. He showed up almost immediately and got me home, which was the main thing, and I was very happy about that.

But it was in some ways a disappointing experience.

1) The driver had the radio on a hip-hop station and didn't ask me if I minded. It wasn't very loud so I really didn't mind, but it surprised me; I thought they were concerned enough about their passenger ratings to be more solicitous.

2) His GPS gave him wrong directions. He ended up going about about four or five blocks out of the way. It wasn't his fault, but when I tried to tell him he didn't appear to understand what I was saying at all and seemed bewildered. I don't think his English was very good. We passed my back door and I asked him to pull over but he kept going.

3) The price was $9.60. According to Google Maps I was 1.2 miles from my house when he picked me up. With one-way streets and the GPS mistakes, it still couldn't have been more than 1.75 miles. This was more than I expected. I think a cab might have been cheaper, and cabs are very expensive in my town.

4) I thought there was no tipping with these services but the payment screen had a place for a tip.

I might use it again in a similar situation. The big advantage is that they come right away, because you could wait for a taxi forever here. But it's definitely a splurge. I won't use it any more than I would use a cab, which is almost never.
Old Sep 25, 15, 1:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by deniselb View Post
3) The price was $9.60. According to Google Maps I was 1.2 miles from my house when he picked me up. With one-way streets and the GPS mistakes, it still couldn't have been more than 1.75 miles. This was more than I expected. I think a cab might have been cheaper, and cabs are very expensive in my town.
Lyft rates where I am are 80 cent base charge, $1.10/mile and 21 cents per minute. Cabs fares end up being 2-3X as expensive. You can e-mail support if you feel like you were overcharged. Lyft gives you the option of tipping through the app, Uber does not. You really should tip the drivers though, especially on short trips.
Old Oct 14, 15, 5:52 am

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Tried to use it other day at LGW. Staying at Hilton LGW I went for walk down to Three Bridges and ended up buying rather a lot of stuff in a shop. I was very excited as I had read all about Uber and was hoping they introduce it a few cities where I have to work where taxis are a nightmare. So a test in LGW would be fun, I thought...

Tried to Uber a driver to take me back to Hilton. One was only a few mins away. A few mins later I get a call from an unknown number and it is the driver saying he now can't take me. He advises I Uber another driver. I hung up, cancelled and Ubered again and got same driver! He told me to hang up and wait five mins before Ubering another driver so system would reset!

What a PIA - hanging around on street whilst Uber resets as the driver doesn't want that job!

Then I saw minicab passing and flagged it and asked driver to order me a minicab. He actually allowed me to use his minicab (which he is not meant to!).

I can't see myself using Uber again in most cites - or should I say trying to Uber! Having drivers call you up to say they don't want your business makes them no better than London Black Cabs when you live south of the river.)!

I will use minicabs in future as Uber just proved that even if there are drivers around you may not get a lift! Minicabs don't create these problems you get with Uber and Hackney Cabs!
Old Oct 19, 15, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by njf63 View Post
[*] Excellent expectation management - the car was there slightly earlier than estimated[*] Car a late model and clean inside
What car did you get, if you remembered?

Search this Thread