Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Uber "helps" drivers sign up for $800+ a month, autoloans/lease.

Old Aug 4, 15, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Centurion

http://uber.flexdrive.com/

u call a $800-900$ a MONTH prius loan? "helping" someone?

a normal prius loan is from $199 month lease, ($300-$400 purchase per mo).

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.pN...78&c=7&pid=1.1

now do you guys see why the uber drivers beg for tips, and 5 stars.

uber corporate , abuse those poor drivers.
and at 10cents per min, thats only $6 and hour wait time.
even at 16cents per min, thats only $9hour..

then take away 20% commissions back to uber.
plus deduct $1 safe ride fee to uber also.

http://i61.tinypic.com/21b5hk9.jpg

---- another story ---

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/...9730046584.jpg

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 4, 15 at 4:44 pm Reason: Oversized image converted to link / remove copyrighted material
Old Aug 4, 15, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by timtim2008 View Post
http://uber.flexdrive.com/

now do you guys see why the uber drivers beg for tips, and 5 stars.

1) I've offered a tip to 2 different Uber drivers. On both occasions, they turned it down even after I practically insisted.

2) I've never been asked to leave a 5 star rating, but I always have since every time I've used Uber it's been a 5 star experience.

And a high interest loan for people with poor credit is unusual or unfair how?

The guy that feels trapped didn't read his contract before he signed?
Old Aug 4, 15, 10:57 am

Programs: ABBA
"now do you guys see why the uber drivers beg for tips, and 5 stars. "

Never happened to me. I did have one driver who told me it wasn't working out for him, he rented the car by the week and was barely covering costs, so it was his last day.

Another driver when I asked sad he used to be a local cab driver in Manchester, but got paid far more with uber, and a more interesting day too.
Old Aug 4, 15, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
1. You're not getting a Prius lease for $199/month. Base level, stripped down Prius, will be $300/month, with zero down. That will only get you 1k miles/month, not so helpful for a commercial vehicle.
2. His payment is so high because he's got little to no credit. Not hugely surprising.
3. How is Uber to blame that the guy agreed to an auto loan at 23% interest?
Old Aug 4, 15, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
3. How is Uber to blame that the guy agreed to an auto loan at 23% interest?
In the same way that sub-prime mortgage lenders are to blame for sometimes targeting the poor, poorly educated, poorly informed etc.

It's a heartless business that takes advantage of a certain segment of the population.
Old Aug 11, 15, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While I agree that super high interested loans can be predatory there is a lot of blame for the individual to accept. For accepting the terms of this loan while knowing the general income expected for the service. For not shopping around more as there are other ways to get lower interest loans.
Nobody forced this loan upon him but his abilities to get a loan are limited...but still the end result comes from the individual accepting too much debt without an ability to pay it off.
Now if they took on a variable rate car loan and the rate jumped up to 25% from say 15% (not unheard of for higher risk people) I'd have more sympathy but still it's a loan the person took on.

Originally Posted by Miami305 View Post
In the same way that sub-prime mortgage lenders are to blame for sometimes targeting the poor, poorly educated, poorly informed etc.

It's a heartless business that takes advantage of a certain segment of the population.
Old Oct 16, 15, 2:58 am

What's the lease mileage allowance per year? What is the length of the lease term?

While the amount may seem outrageous, you would also have to consider that traditional auto leases prohibit you form using the car as a commercial vehicle so you would default on your lease if the financing company ever found it. Apart from the usurious interest rate, the only other worrying area is that Uber can choose to lower the price of fares and sign up more drivers (which cuts down the lucrative surge pricing earnings), which would severely impact his earnings given his lease obligations.
Old Oct 22, 15, 1:53 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
What's the lease mileage allowance per year? What is the length of the lease term?
The Uber affiliated lease has no mileage limit and no lease term. I believe it's $250 up front and you can turn the car in at any time for $250. If you have good credit it can cost as little $400 a month for a Prius (and less I believe for a non-hybrid Corolla or Civic) which is not bad for someone doing it full time and driving 2k+ miles per month. The only catch is that you might not get a new car. It may be a lease turn-in that someone else drove first.

Search this Thread