Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by htehtrshtsrhstrhrsh
You can't even admit when you're wrong. No evidence to back up your statements, and you run away when asked. Servers are overpaid in California, and you want to be overpaid as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/busines...000-employees/

This is what happens when employees with very little skill demand more money.
You are right, I am wrong...

And, I now realize the errors of my ways and will no longer try and reason with Uber passengers.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The problem is we all have different definitions about what is fair.
I think what we have today in cities where both Lyft and Uber compete is pretty fair. I wish there was a 3rd or 4th competing platform...that would probably yield slightly better results for both riders and drivers, but at least 2 robust options provides some platform competition to keep their "rake" in check.

Ideally, the whole thing would be no tips, period. Let surge pricing handle the point at which the market clears. But if Lyft wants to differentiate by going with a lowest base rate and a tipping option, fine...

My experience this weekend in Chicago has been interesting. Using mostly Lyft, but have taken two short Ubers when Lyft's surge jumped to 1.75 at somewhat random times that weren't really peak demand. I suspect it was just luck: the Lyfts were occupied at the time, and my sense is that Chicago still has a lot more Ubers on the road. (It's not like Vegas, where it seems pretty even.)

Had a really nice Lyft Plus driver from Union Station to the hotel. Helped a lot with luggage, etc. We tipped him quite well...
Old May 30, 2016, 2:40 pm

If you raise rates less people will use Uber, and that means drivers will have to wait around longer for a passenger. It would probably work out in bigger cities where the average income is higher, but it wouldn't work out in smaller cities. It would only destroy a lot of Uber jobs, or many drivers would be waiting long periods for a passenger thus their income wouldn't increase by much, or even possibly decrease.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been doing some Uber driving recently during bar prep. So far I've received three tips, only one of which was from someone I actually did something for (carried heavy bag).

The one time I really think you should tip your driver is if you're hiring someone to take you on errands. I do this at least once a day: pick someone up from their hotel, take them to the bank or Fed Ex Office or to a grocery store and idle in the parking lot while they do what they need to do. As I get 10 cents a minute and make far more off mileage, 45 minutes of errands can net me a whopping $6. If you're hiring your driver for such activities, I think a tip is more than fair.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've been doing some Uber driving recently during bar prep. So far I've received three tips, only one of which was from someone I actually did something for (carried heavy bag).

The one time I really think you should tip your driver is if you're hiring someone to take you on errands. I do this at least once a day: pick someone up from their hotel, take them to the bank or Fed Ex Office or to a grocery store and idle in the parking lot while they do what they need to do. As I get 10 cents a minute and make far more off mileage, 45 minutes of errands can net me a whopping $6. If you're hiring your driver for such activities, I think a tip is more than fair.
To be fair, your rider might think it's like a cab, where the waiting charges are extremely high. I've honestly never considered Uber/Lyft for running errands (e.g., keeping a car waiting for me). I didn't even think that was possible.

Although obviously if the same guy is doing it frequently, then at some point you'd think he is capable of figuring out that the waiting charge is actually lower than what the driver gets by actually driving...
Old May 31, 2016, 8:25 am

I refuse to wait for more than an ATM or cigarette run in a convenience store. Send a request when you're done shopping.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VentureForth
I refuse to wait for more than an ATM or cigarette run in a convenience store. Send a request when you're done shopping.
Seriously, who does this? It literally takes minutes to get another car... why would a rider tie down a driver and prevent him/her from earning a living on another ride?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
Seriously, who does this? It literally takes minutes to get another car... why would a rider tie down a driver and prevent him/her from earning a living on another ride?
Again, I'll give people the benefit of the doubt here. Having a taxi wait for you has always been a fair request - with a big premium cost for doing so. Some people who do this with Uber may feel it's a perfectly legit request, knowing that the "meter is running", and may not think it's working against the driver at all.

This is a case where I genuinely hope the rider doesn't 1-star the driver for not wanting to sit around for 30 minutes at the grocery store. Just...summon another Uber when you're done shopping...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Again, I'll give people the benefit of the doubt here. Having a taxi wait for you has always been a fair request - with a big premium cost for doing so. Some people who do this with Uber may feel it's a perfectly legit request, knowing that the "meter is running", and may not think it's working against the driver at all.

This is a case where I genuinely hope the rider doesn't 1-star the driver for not wanting to sit around for 30 minutes at the grocery store. Just...summon another Uber when you're done shopping...
Not always. Sunday night I picked up two young adults who got a 2 mile ride at no surge. They wanted to go to Wal-Mart and buy cigarettes and wine. Said they'd be in the store for 15 minutes. That's about $1.80. I said no, but that'd I'd hang around the store. If my next ping was them, awesome. If not, they weren't exactly gonna get stranded. As soon as I dropped them off it was surging at 2.1x. It was back down to 1x within 20 minutes. Slammed my door, though. Didn't really care to see them again
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:14 pm

I started using only Lyft, because it allows me to add tip in the app. I don't carry cash (except two twenties for emergency), so can't tip cash. So Uber is actually losing business from me because the app can't add tip.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:09 pm

I started driving Lyft more for that reason.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Need
I started using only Lyft, because it allows me to add tip in the app. I don't carry cash (except two twenties for emergency), so can't tip cash. So Uber is actually losing business from me because the app can't add tip.
I'm doing the same, I have transitioned most of my US based transportation from UBER to Lyft.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I hope this is the right thread

I have NEVER EVER stepped foot in any type of UBER or LYFT type vehicle. Not that I had anything against them, I just do not need rides anywhere very often. Those seldom times that I do, I'm at another work location and have the admin arrange a ride to the airport for me and they have always called me a cab. For work, I don't really care, I just want to get from Point A to B and the company is paying.

However, I am going on vacation with the kids, we need to get to IAD; the local bus that used to cost me a $1 one way is no longer in existence.

So Chase sent me a code for a $30 credit on my 1st ride if I use the Chase card which I will of course.

Typically a cab will run me ~$30 one way to the airport. Probably a tad over that with two kids and extra bags.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to get an estimate as to what this Uber ride will cost me so that I can compare prices vs the local cab?

2. I take it my Chase code is really a credit by Chase on my Uber charge?

3. if #2 is correct, can I still use a sign up code that I received in Valu Pak for my first ride is free up to $20?

4. Tipping: I scanned this thread, I sure did not read each and every post and the why do you drive for Uber is of no interest to me right now: one reason I want to use Uber (or Lyft - which doesn't seem like it will suit my no tipping preference) is that I do NOT want to tip on a normal run of the mill trip. I hate tipping in any environment so any time I have the opportunity to avoid tipping I will; hence I'll try Uber. That said and done, I don't find it totally clear that the driver will have his hand out? will give me a crappy rating (I know, I saw some of you have good ratings even without tipping) for a lack of tip.

5. Can Ubers pick you up at the airport? i.e. when I return to IAD?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
My questions are:

1. Is there a way to get an estimate as to what this Uber ride will cost me so that I can compare prices vs the local cab?

2. I take it my Chase code is really a credit by Chase on my Uber charge?

3. if #2 is correct, can I still use a sign up code that I received in Valu Pak for my first ride is free up to $20?

4. Tipping: I scanned this thread, I sure did not read each and every post and the why do you drive for Uber is of no interest to me right now: one reason I want to use Uber (or Lyft - which doesn't seem like it will suit my no tipping preference) is that I do NOT want to tip on a normal run of the mill trip. I hate tipping in any environment so any time I have the opportunity to avoid tipping I will; hence I'll try Uber. That said and done, I don't find it totally clear that the driver will have his hand out? will give me a crappy rating (I know, I saw some of you have good ratings even without tipping) for a lack of tip.

5. Can Ubers pick you up at the airport? i.e. when I return to IAD?
1. Load the app. Set your pickup/drop off locations, and there will be options for a fare estimate. In some cities, Uber will quote you a precise fare which will fluctuate depending on time of day, traffic, surge etc.

2. Sorry, don't know.

3. Doubtful. You would have already taken your first ride. Others can chime in here.

4. It will depend on the driver. The vast majority of Uber passengers do not tip, and they have no problem with their ratings. Which, to be perfectly honest, don't really matter all that much for passengers.

5. Depends on the airport. At IAD, you're good. Uber can pick you up there. Again, load the app up, and drop your pin there and you'll see the options you have.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Miami305
1. Load the app. Set your pickup/drop off locations, and there will be options for a fare estimate. In some cities, Uber will quote you a precise fare which will fluctuate depending on time of day, traffic, surge etc.

2. Sorry, don't know.

3. Doubtful. You would have already taken your first ride. Others can chime in here.

4. It will depend on the driver. The vast majority of Uber passengers do not tip, and they have no problem with their ratings. Which, to be perfectly honest, don't really matter all that much for passengers.

5. Depends on the airport. At IAD, you're good. Uber can pick you up there. Again, load the app up, and drop your pin there and you'll see the options you have.
Thanks, very helpful.

Are there per bag, per passenger charges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.