Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:31 am

Has anyone seen a new promo code for weekly rentals yet? The old one (30% off) was only valid for bookings till 3/31.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Renting Silvercar in Denver this summer. It looks like our paths might have us take the E-470 toll road. Does anyone have any experience on how Silvercar handles the charges on this toll road? Apparently, transponders will not work on this road.

Thanks.
Silvercar's toll policy is the best in the business. If you hit a cashless toll (like E-470), they simply charge you the exact amount of the toll plus a one-time $4.95 convenience fee. It's a one-time $4.95 charge for the entire rental no matter how many days your rental period is or the number of tolls you go through. (Unlike all other agencies that multiply that times the number of days of your rental regardless of the days you went through a toll)

Last edited by PlaneSense; Apr 1, 2019 at 2:34 pm Reason: Correction: Silvercar toll fee is actually $4.95, not $5.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by matt85
Has anyone seen a new promo code for weekly rentals yet? The old one (30% off) was only valid for bookings till 3/31.
I can answer myself here, in case it helps anyone else. I got an ad displayed right on silvercar.com after some time, with a promo code for 25% off. Seems to be some kind of targeting for visitors who stay longer on their site, to convince to trigger the reservation. Worked for me
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PlaneSense
Silvercar's toll policy is the best in the business. If you hit a cashless toll (like E-470), they simply charge you the exact amount of the toll plus a one-time $5 convenience fee. It's a one-time $5 charge for the entire rental no matter how many days your rental period is or the number of tolls you go through. (Unlike all other agencies that multiply that times the number of days of your rental regardless of the days you went through a toll)
Thank you! That really helps. We are going to be coming in from Cheyenne in the morning on a Sunday with an AM flight. We will be a little pressed for time and really want to take the most direct route. I appreciate the response.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Silvercar's toll policy is the best in the business. If you hit a cashless toll (like E-470), they simply charge you the exact amount of the toll plus a one-time $5 convenience fee. It's a one-time $5 charge for the entire rental no matter how many days your rental period is or the number of tolls you go through. (Unlike all other agencies that multiply that times the number of days of your rental regardless of the days you went through a toll)
Don't disagree that Silvercar has the best deal for tolls, but the contrast isn't quite this wide. Hertz, at least, changed their policy last year, so you only play the toll surcharge for days that you actually pay tolls. No more paying $35 in surcharges because you paid one toll on a six day rental.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Don't disagree that Silvercar has the best deal for tolls, but the contrast isn't quite this wide. Hertz, at least, changed their policy last year, so you only play the toll surcharge for days that you actually pay tolls. No more paying $35 in surcharges because you paid one toll on a six day rental.
Thanks for the correction, I didn't realize Hertz changed theirs to be only for the days a toll was used. For a single toll use that's better (at only $4.95/day). Silvercar wins if you're using a toll more than one day.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Thanks for the correction, I didn't realize Hertz changed theirs to be only for the days a toll was used. For a single toll use that's better (at only $4.95/day). Silvercar wins if you're using a toll more than one day.
No doubt, Silvercar's got the best terms for tolls. Gas, too. A $5 refueling fee and market rate is very fair, IMHO.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

Does anyone know if I can request Silvercar to charge my credit card in full in advance? I'm locking down a yearly October trip and right now Amex has an amazing offer on Silvercar (save like $100 off a $350 or more booking or something) but it must hit my Amex card before the end of May... I can lock my dates down before then and make the reservation, but it sounds like I'm only charged when I actually pick up the car. I know with Hilton I could call/email the hotel and make a request to be charged in advance (even if the rate wasn't a pre-pay rate) and they could no problem, curious if Silvercar can do anything like this. With a weekly rate and $100 back in my pocket it'll make a seven day rental like ~$160!!!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Originally Posted by acarney
Does anyone know if I can request Silvercar to charge my credit card in full in advance? I'm locking down a yearly October trip and right now Amex has an amazing offer on Silvercar (save like $100 off a $350 or more booking or something) but it must hit my Amex card before the end of May... I can lock my dates down before then and make the reservation, but it sounds like I'm only charged when I actually pick up the car. I know with Hilton I could call/email the hotel and make a request to be charged in advance (even if the rate wasn't a pre-pay rate) and they could no problem, curious if Silvercar can do anything like this. With a weekly rate and $100 back in my pocket it'll make a seven day rental like ~$160!!!
I have no idea if they can charge in advance - but the AMEX T&C says " Car rentals must be completed by offer end date. "

Was debating on trying BOS myself next month but wasn't sure how much of a pain the off-site location would be.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by ackpfft
I have no idea if they can charge in advance - but the AMEX T&C says " Car rentals must be completed by offer end date. "

Was debating on trying BOS myself next month but wasn't sure how much of a pain the off-site location would be.
In my experience fully charged on the credit card was the same to Amex as "completed by offer end date" :P

I've had a Hilton offer before that said stay must be completed by offer end date and the end date was like four days before my check in date, asking Hilton to charge my card in advance was perfectly fine and allowed me to get the $50 Amex offer. I just don't know if Silvercar will do that...

For what it's worth, I asked on Twitter if they had another weekly code and they mentioned they don't have ANY discount codes other than new renter codes. Obviously someone here found one pop up on the Silvercar web site (which I couldn't get to trigger one) but official word is, there are no discount codes out there.

Next question, can you use the CSR Visa Infinite code by just holding the card and maybe having Silvercar verify you have it when you pick the car up, or must the purchase amount be charged TO the Visa?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:39 am

I used it in LA and will not use any other rental car company after my excellent experience.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:17 am

A4 what engine

Not sure if this has been discussed already but does anybody know if there A4 come in the 40 TFSI or their 45TFSI engine?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Has anyone used the Audi Preferred benefits coupon codes found here https://www.silvercar.com/partners/myaudi/. I was able to get my reservation for a 2 day rental down to $60. Do they verify if you are an audi owner?
Paweliania likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by kbooks66
Has anyone used the Audi Preferred benefits coupon codes found here https://www.silvercar.com/partners/myaudi/. I was able to get my reservation for a 2 day rental down to $60. Do they verify if you are an audi owner?
Used these twice now, never even mentioned
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:22 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Has anyone tried picking up during "off" hours at airport locations? From what I understand, there is no paperwork involved and the app unlocks the car, right? Thus, if I can figure out a way to get to the rental location, it would be okay? TIA.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.