Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Prices are dynamic. Sometimes it's a great deal. Sometimes it is not.
Auto Enthusiast and levilevi like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:36 am

Will echo Miles Ahead to say of course its all YMMV/Circumstantial/preference.
I'll always be willing to pay a certain amount extra for Silvercar for the vehicle and service and, in my circumstances, if travelling with my young kids, the included high quality car seats. Also, discount codes abound.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:33 am

I got a Silvercar in Downtown San Francisco on my 22nd birthday. Rate was $79 for 2 days -$25, making it essentially $54 for 2 days and $27/day. Plan on taking it to Yosemite and Napa, putting probably 600-700 miles on it.

Anyone whose gotten a flat tire know the experience. Most likely not happening but if I call roadside assistance, will Audi bill Silvercar and will Silvercar then bill me? I read from someone that they were charged $1200 for a flat.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by Samuel Tao
I got a Silvercar in Downtown San Francisco on my 22nd birthday. Rate was $79 for 2 days -$25, making it essentially $54 for 2 days and $27/day. Plan on taking it to Yosemite and Napa, putting probably 600-700 miles on it.

Anyone whose gotten a flat tire know the experience. Most likely not happening but if I call roadside assistance, will Audi bill Silvercar and will Silvercar then bill me? I read from someone that they were charged $1200 for a flat.
Not sure on the specifics of the cost but yes, technically you are responsible for the costs of any damages incurred including flats. Roadside assistance is also charged and will bill you. I'd recommend if possible to either purchase insurance or better use insurance provided by a credit card to cover said cost.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

Roadside assistance DP just from a few posts ago:

Originally Posted by levilevi
Here's a datapoint on roadside assistance:
- just after pickup, we were headed to Aspen, and outside Golden, along the highway, we blew a tire... I mean totally shredded somehow. Audi roadside assistance towed us to an Audi dealer who swapped in a new tire in about 90 minutes... and I haven't heard a thing about it.. they said they'd bill Silvercar directly and good to go.
- it seemed seamless... roadside assistance got the VIN, and checked coverage, tow truck came, dealership knew what was up... done
- I declined their coverage, paid on CSR.. just in case this comes up later... but i'm guessing it wont
Haven't heard a thing since
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:41 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Samuel Tao

This is why everyone should be a AAA member and not rely on the roadside assistance from the car rental company. For what it provides, AAA is an insanely good value.
brandiniman likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:36 pm

Not sure if this was covered but their Visa Infinite 30% off weekly deal is expired now? Bummer.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Not sure if this was covered but their Visa Infinite 30% off weekly deal is expired now? Bummer.
Weekly Deal expired back in April and was outside of Visa Infinite if I recall correctly.
VISAINF20 still gives 20% off and there's the rent 1 day get 1 free and 2/2 coupons still
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
LAX Rental - 9/6 - 9/8:

Used the Audi owner discount to get a day free so my payment was $70 vs. $160 for two days at Hertz, no brainer. Once at LAX I let them know I was there on the app and they sent an Uber to pick me up. The LAX location is next to SIXT and near Hertz so it's about as close as the other rental car places. Once there I had to wait for the customer ahead of me to be taken care of. My car was an A4 with 27,000 miles which worked great. On return the agent checking in the car arranged an Uber back to the airport, I had to wait about four minutes for the ride. Overall a great experience.
levilevi likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:55 pm

Just wrapped up my first SilverCar rental at LAX. Gave it a shot since it was only $10 more for the week than the best thing AutoSlash could dig up with Hertz.

Landed at LAX, texted that we had arrived and received a text back with instructions. An hour passed, no Uber. Eventually called the office to figure out what was going on and they directed me to an Uber that had been sitting right in front of us for 10 minutes. Apparently they had two people coming off the same flight with similar names and dispatched (no joke) 6 Ubers to pick up the other guy, all the while thinking it was me. The SilverCar rep admitted that happens often and it's a known weakness in their system.

Rented an 2018 A4 with 25,000 miles. When I asked if they had anything newer, they said that was the newest one... all of the A4's were 2 years old with between 20,000 and 50,000 miles. Upon return I texted them a heads up that we had quite a bit of luggage, and they happily arranged for an Uber XL to make sure we had enough space.

Even with the high miles, the car was fantastic and the staff couldn't have been nicer.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"Now when you purchase or lease a 2019 model year Audi or newer, you’ll receive [7] Silvercar rental days at no additional charge."
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Remember, though, since Silvercar uses a separately itemized drop charge for one-ways, and you have to call to book them, the free days are probably best used for expensive roundtrips.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:34 am

I’m curious if this is going to replace the (much abused) Audi Preferred discount. Looks like they’re calling this new program Always Audi.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:40 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Anyone know what silvercar is doing at LAX now, with the TNC pickup changes?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Anyone know what silvercar is doing at LAX now, with the TNC pickup changes?
They’ve done away with the Uber pickup. Take the E Economy Parking shuttle to the remote rental car depot and SilverCar will pick you up there. Since SC is right next door to Sixt, it would almost be faster to take the Sixt shuttle and walk from there.not sure how Sixt would feel about that, or if they would even notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.