Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Thankfully, I just purchased a new Audi and was able to apply one of my free rental days which was fantastic!
Nice!

Just booked a Q7 in late October from DIA. Does anyone know if they are renting the 2020+ Q7 (facelift) or the 2019 body style? Considering replacing the GF's Q5 with a Q7/Q8 and wanted to get a feel for the vehicle during our rental.
Our Q7 rental at DIA last month was a 2019, but you can always chat or call the DIA location, see if they have any 2020/2021 models.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by dtwlarry
Nice!

Our Q7 rental at DIA last month was a 2019, but you can always chat or call the DIA location, see if they have any 2020/2021 models.
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call and see if I can request one. If the idea of Audi buying them is to try and sell cars it shouldn't be hard if one is available.

And as far as the free days go, from my understanding anyone who buys or leases a new Audi gets 7 free rental car days from Silvercar, which is a nice little perk if you or someone you know falls into that category.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dtwlarry
I texted SFO to ask if they any new cars in their fleet.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by dayone
I texted SFO to ask if they any new cars in their fleet.
Any update on this?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:34 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Any update on this?
No. New models were due, but then deferred due to COVID, Text or call to get the latest info.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just got an e-mail advising that the LAX location is closing on 12/6 and that my reservation over the holidays has been canceled. Apparently Covid has caused a significant slowdown in airport business, unsurprisingly.

FWIW, I asked if they would be opening a dealership location in LA, and they responded in the affirmative but did not have anything more concrete to share at this time.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:11 am

Well, remember that LA has a sprawl issue that needs to be thought out if Silvercar will have successful neighborhood locations.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 4:09 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

UPDATE -- All Silvercar airport locations closing down:

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...-shutting-down
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
UPDATE -- All Silvercar airport locations closing down:

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...-shutting-down
Unfortunate but not really surprising considering that business travel (at least) is going to be down for quite a while, even if a vaccine does get rolled out next year as expected. Too bad they couldn't hold out until more dealership locations came online.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:53 am

I'm curious how shifting to a number of dispersed dealership locations will impact one-way options. Will Silvercar still have its own fleet, or will it be mixed in with the local service loaners, to reduce the number of cars needed to purchase?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I'm curious how shifting to a number of dispersed dealership locations will impact one-way options. Will Silvercar still have its own fleet, or will it be mixed in with the local service loaners, to reduce the number of cars needed to purchase?
ARN reported on this a month or two back. The focus will be shifting to local renters who want something nice for a road trip. Added bonus if the dealership needs extra loaners (which the dealership would have to rent from the Silvercar fleet).

Silvercar will still own the fleet, but only about 10-15 cars per store. With those numbers, I'd be highly surprised if they still allow one-ways.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Received the following email:

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 20, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:54 am

I guess they decided paying rent at or near airports was not worth it with so little business travel this year.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
That's a bummer. I really liked Silvercar and they were (ime) often MUCH cheaper than the equivalent class of car from one of the major rental car companies.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
That's a bummer. I really liked Silvercar and they were (ime) often MUCH cheaper than the equivalent class of car from one of the major rental car companies.
Indeed. Also the major rental car companies are getting a lot worse. They're selling off premium and luxury cars and hoarding upgrades and at the same time keeping vehicles way longer. Now that National considers a base level Charger with 20,000 miles on it to be a PCAR I long for Silvercar.
Drwaz99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.