Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

The cashless toll road trap: FL and others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cashless toll road trap: FL and others

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
How do you find out what roads are cashless? My GPS just lets me "avoid tolls" but I don't mind paying at a manned booth, I just want to avoid the whole cashless/transponder thing.

I'll be traveling around Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Illinois in the near future.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
How do you find out what roads are cashless? My GPS just lets me "avoid tolls" but I don't mind paying at a manned booth, I just want to avoid the whole cashless/transponder thing.

I'll be traveling around Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Illinois in the near future.
I can't speak to the others but Wisconsin has no tolls. The Illinois tollway has manned lanes at major toll plazas but not at some exits. You can call in and pay online but the tolls are doubled if you don't have a transponder.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I can't speak to the others but Wisconsin has no tolls. The Illinois tollway has manned lanes at major toll plazas but not at some exits. You can call in and pay online but the tolls are doubled if you don't have a transponder.
Many years ago we got stuck at an unmanned booth exiting near O'Hare. Early morning, had to catch a flight, I just went through (had no coins).

TWO YEARS later I get a bill from Alamo who had been billed from Illinois, I called and she just laughed and said "yeah, 2 years sounds right for them" and didn't charge me, but I don't want to repeat that again so when in IL I usually just avoid the big roads altogether, it's not so bad. Good to hear about WI. Will try to find out about MI and OH. We're mostly just going to be on the Ohio Turnpike between Detroit and Cleveland.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM+, A3 GLD
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Just make sure that you take it off again when you are done with rental. I rented a car and have an EZ pass, but I could not add it to my EZ Pass account because someone else had added it previously and didn't remove it.
Not sure about EZpass but the Sunpass website allows to add a rental car with a precise date/time when your rental will be over so it automatically deactivates it and you won't get charged for someone else's tolls.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Many years ago we got stuck at an unmanned booth exiting near O'Hare. Early morning, had to catch a flight, I just went through (had no coins).

TWO YEARS later I get a bill from Alamo who had been billed from Illinois, I called and she just laughed and said "yeah, 2 years sounds right for them" and didn't charge me, but I don't want to repeat that again so when in IL I usually just avoid the big roads altogether, it's not so bad. Good to hear about WI. Will try to find out about MI and OH. We're mostly just going to be on the Ohio Turnpike between Detroit and Cleveland.
No tolls in Michigan either except for the Mackinac Bridge up north and the 4 bridges/tunnel to Canada.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
No tolls in Michigan either except for the Mackinac Bridge up north and the 4 bridges/tunnel to Canada.
Thank you, very helpful. And I'm pretty sure the Ohio Tpke is manned so that will be fine.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

How much will you be driving in IL and OH on toll roads? If more than a little bit, I'm a big proponent of the Massachusetts E-ZPass. It's $20, but you get $20 worth of credit, so it's essentially free. Even before I moved to the East Coast, I bought one and just kept it in my backpack so it was always with me whenever I traveled. The discounts you get on tolls in many states make it worth it, not to mention the convenience of skipping long toll lines in many toll plazas.

Originally Posted by gabrielbf
Not sure about EZpass but the Sunpass website allows to add a rental car with a precise date/time when your rental will be over so it automatically deactivates it and you won't get charged for someone else's tolls.
Each state runs its own E-ZPass program, so I'm sure some states allow more finer-grained control over adding and removing license plates to accounts. IIRC, Massachusetts doesn't allow you to set dates, so you have to remember to remove your rental car when you return it.

That said, the way the E-ZPass system works is opposite of FL's. With FL, the most recently-added plate is the one that is charged. With E-ZPass, the first one to register the plate is the one on record in the network. I once took the PA Turnpike and my toll transponder read on the entry but didn't on the exit, so I was actually charged by both E-ZPass (PA charges the maximum Turnpike toll if you enter and do not exit within something like 18 hours) and Hertz/PlatePass. I got it straightened out, but it was in that process of contacting the PA Turnpike Authority, my Massachusetts E-ZPass account service, and PlatePass that they told me how the system works. So, basically, if the rental company has already registered the plate, then adding it to your personal account does absolutely nothing. I haven't bothered to add my rental cars since discovering this and it's never been an issue, but I'm also very careful to hold the transponder up to the windshield now instead of letting it lie on my dashboard.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by jackal
Each state runs its own E-ZPass program, so I'm sure some states allow more finer-grained control over adding and removing license plates to accounts. IIRC, Massachusetts doesn't allow you to set dates, so you have to remember to remove your rental car when you return it.

That said, the way the E-ZPass system works is opposite of FL's. With FL, the most recently-added plate is the one that is charged. With E-ZPass, the first one to register the plate is the one on record in the network. I once took the PA Turnpike and my toll transponder read on the entry but didn't on the exit, so I was actually charged by both E-ZPass (PA charges the maximum Turnpike toll if you enter and do not exit within something like 18 hours) and Hertz/PlatePass. I got it straightened out, but it was in that process of contacting the PA Turnpike Authority, my Massachusetts E-ZPass account service, and PlatePass that they told me how the system works. So, basically, if the rental company has already registered the plate, then adding it to your personal account does absolutely nothing. I haven't bothered to add my rental cars since discovering this and it's never been an issue, but I'm also very careful to hold the transponder up to the windshield now instead of letting it lie on my dashboard.
That is good to know. Although yes, they do allow dates now - I am not sure if that is something new or not - only needed to use it on different cars lately.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have found that the car rental agencies in the Northeast register their license plates with EZ-Pass, so it is impossible to register their car’s license plate to your EZ-Pass account.

I just check my account a few days after I use my own EZ-Pass to make sure the toll charges are charged to my account.

Mr. Elliott
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
As stated above, in FL, when you register a rental car's plate on your SunPass account, you set the expiration date and it is automatically removed once the date passes. Very handy.

They sell the SunPass everywhere - grocery stores, gas stations, CVS/Walgreens (which are on every corner), so it is very easy to get and you can register it on their website or through their iPhone/Android app. They make it easy, but you need to know to get one.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
1$ toll in VA but charged an additional 10$?

I recently completed a 24hr rental in VA (Pick up at IAD, return at Amtrak in DC). I incurred a 1$ toll (Invoice amount due) but was charged an additional 10$ (Fee Due). Reading the Enterprise FAQ, they list a 3.95$/day convenience fee. Even if I count the Friday and Saturday as two individual days despite my rental being for 20 hrs, that should add up to 3.95*2 = 7.90 + 1 = 8.90$

10$ is not a big amount in the larger scheme of things, but I am trying to understand how did what I expect to be 8.90$ become 11$.

Any explanations?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
How much will you be driving in IL and OH on toll roads? If more than a little bit, I'm a big proponent of the Massachusetts E-ZPass. It's $20, but you get $20 worth of credit, so it's essentially free. Even before I moved to the East Coast, I bought one and just kept it in my backpack so it was always with me whenever I traveled. The discounts you get on tolls in many states make it worth it, not to mention the convenience of skipping long toll lines in many toll plazas.

Just a little bit of advice, EZ-Pass transponders are read from about 15 to 20 feet from the toll both, not when you are in the toll booth. I have seen people waving their EZ-Pass’s around while stopped in the toll booth waiting for the gate to lift up, by then it is to late. Putting your EZ-Pass on the dashboard or just holding it in your hand could prevent it from being read properly.

What I have done is made up an adaptor with small suction cups on it and attach it to my EZ-Pass with Velcro tape so I can easily remove it from my car and stick it in the proper place on the windshield using the suction cups when I rent a car and use my own EZ-Pass.

As an alternate you can go to a place like Staples and buy small Velcro squares or dots and put one piece on your EZ-Pass and the other piece on the windshield, after use you can remove the Velcro strips from the windshield, they do lot leave any residue and if you kept the paper strip they came on you can save them and reuse them again. Just remember velcro has 2 different sides, one side has the hooks and the other has the loops so you must use one of each.

Mr. Elliott
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
I recently completed a 24hr rental in VA (Pick up at IAD, return at Amtrak in DC). I incurred a 1$ toll (Invoice amount due) but was charged an additional 10$ (Fee Due). Reading the Enterprise FAQ, they list a 3.95$/day convenience fee. Even if I count the Friday and Saturday as two individual days despite my rental being for 20 hrs, that should add up to 3.95*2 = 7.90 + 1 = 8.90$

10$ is not a big amount in the larger scheme of things, but I am trying to understand how did what I expect to be 8.90$ become 11$.
Talked to Enterprise. They said the 10$ was a "Fee". But,given it didn't appear in my rental contract or in the FAQ on Enterprise's website, they credited the 10$ back to me as a "one time gesture of goodwill"
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:56 pm

The Illinois ipass system (compatible with ezpass wherever I have taken it) actually has quite a nice system for adding rental cars. Works way better than you'd expect a government website to work! Even has a nice mobile UI for when your passenger is frantically adding the license plate on the interstate.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:13 pm

Mass pike/dollar

Rented from Dollar for a 10 day trip to upstate NY. Had to run to the store one day. One exit off MASS Pike. Auto bill. No option to pay online. 45c toll each way. $15 admin fee each. I now owe $30.90 to Dollar. However, the fine print says $15 fee applies to each CITATION.

This is not a citation. This is a bill.
Do I have a case?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.