FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The cashless toll road trap: FL and others
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:04 pm
Mr. Elliott

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
How much will you be driving in IL and OH on toll roads? If more than a little bit, I'm a big proponent of the Massachusetts E-ZPass. It's $20, but you get $20 worth of credit, so it's essentially free. Even before I moved to the East Coast, I bought one and just kept it in my backpack so it was always with me whenever I traveled. The discounts you get on tolls in many states make it worth it, not to mention the convenience of skipping long toll lines in many toll plazas.

Each state runs its own E-ZPass program, so I'm sure some states allow more finer-grained control over adding and removing license plates to accounts. IIRC, Massachusetts doesn't allow you to set dates, so you have to remember to remove your rental car when you return it.

That said, the way the E-ZPass system works is opposite of FL's. With FL, the most recently-added plate is the one that is charged. With E-ZPass, the first one to register the plate is the one on record in the network. I once took the PA Turnpike and my toll transponder read on the entry but didn't on the exit, so I was actually charged by both E-ZPass (PA charges the maximum Turnpike toll if you enter and do not exit within something like 18 hours) and Hertz/PlatePass. I got it straightened out, but it was in that process of contacting the PA Turnpike Authority, my Massachusetts E-ZPass account service, and PlatePass that they told me how the system works. So, basically, if the rental company has already registered the plate, then adding it to your personal account does absolutely nothing. I haven't bothered to add my rental cars since discovering this and it's never been an issue, but I'm also very careful to hold the transponder up to the windshield now instead of letting it lie on my dashboard.
Just a little bit of advice, EZ-Pass transponders are read from about 15 to 20 feet from the toll both, not when you are in the toll booth. I have seen people waving their EZ-Pass’s around while stopped in the toll booth waiting for the gate to lift up, by then it is to late. Putting your EZ-Pass on the dashboard or just holding it in your hand could prevent it from being read properly.

What I have done is made up an adaptor with small suction cups on it and attach it to my EZ-Pass with Velcro tape so I can easily remove it from my car and stick it in the proper place on the windshield using the suction cups when I rent a car and use my own EZ-Pass.

As an alternate you can go to a place like Staples and buy small Velcro squares or dots and put one piece on your EZ-Pass and the other piece on the windshield, after use you can remove the Velcro strips from the windshield, they do lot leave any residue and if you kept the paper strip they came on you can save them and reuse them again. Just remember velcro has 2 different sides, one side has the hooks and the other has the loops so you must use one of each.

Mr. Elliott