FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The cashless toll road trap: FL and others
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:56 pm
ottothecow

Originally Posted by jackal
How much will you be driving in IL and OH on toll roads? If more than a little bit, I'm a big proponent of the Massachusetts E-ZPass. It's $20, but you get $20 worth of credit, so it's essentially free. Even before I moved to the East Coast, I bought one and just kept it in my backpack so it was always with me whenever I traveled. The discounts you get on tolls in many states make it worth it, not to mention the convenience of skipping long toll lines in many toll plazas.

Each state runs its own E-ZPass program, so I'm sure some states allow more finer-grained control over adding and removing license plates to accounts. IIRC, Massachusetts doesn't allow you to set dates, so you have to remember to remove your rental car when you return it.
The Illinois ipass system (compatible with ezpass wherever I have taken it) actually has quite a nice system for adding rental cars. Works way better than you'd expect a government website to work! Even has a nice mobile UI for when your passenger is frantically adding the license plate on the interstate.