Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG Kosher meals First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG Kosher meals First Class

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Award tickets are not really free, the Airlines do make money when one travels on Award tickets, just to get the Award is cause you are using a credit card or being loyal to an Airline that makes the Airline money!
Old May 19, 2011, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ual902
Award tickets are not really free, the Airlines do make money when one travels on Award tickets, just to get the Award is cause you are using a credit card or being loyal to an Airline that makes the Airline money!
Not always I will requalify for UA 1K for '12 @ < $2000 out of pocket, those 100K EQMs = 200K RDMs which can land me in Biz/FC on an Intl flight that would have brought 5 figures to that Carrier, on the other hand if I was dumb enough to purchase even a Y tkt to TLV I would be paying > .10 cpm for the cheapest ElCheapo and earn all of 11k EQMs while that same $$ can bring me in well over 25K in EQMs on domestic flights

so yes a Carrier will in some way get some $ for the miles it took for the so called free tkt, but if played correctly very little at that and at times a person can walk away making some $$ eg a recent trip that cost me $200 yielded me a VDB worth $400

this is exactly why I said Full Fare passengers may have a way to change things, once a Carrier pulls up my acct they wont listen , now had I been spending say $50K to make 1K and not <$2K and others doing likewise speak up Im sure any carrier will at least look it over to see if they want to change the way they are doing something, when they pull up and see the Compaliners are either on Free tkts or heavy discounted tkts they will simply move on to the next isuue at hand. and I dont Blame them
Old May 19, 2011, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Very true, also on a recent CX HKG-JFK Flight in F, the F Flight attendant told me he has a list of exactly who paid and how much they paid, and who is flying on an award and who was using upgrades!

Pretty much he told me 3 people paid not sure full fare or from discount consolidator and 3 people were using upgrades and awards including myself!
Old May 21, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by ual902
Very true, also on a recent CX HKG-JFK Flight in F, the F Flight attendant told me he has a list of exactly who paid and how much they paid, and who is flying on an award and who was using upgrades!

Pretty much he told me 3 people paid not sure full fare or from discount consolidator and 3 people were using upgrades and awards including myself!
First time I hear such a story. And what is the reason why a flight attendant would have such a list available?
Old May 21, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by craz
Not always I will requalify for UA 1K for '12 @ < $2000 out of pocket, those 100K EQMs = 200K RDMs which can land me in Biz/FC on an Intl flight that would have brought 5 figures to that Carrier, on the other hand if I was dumb enough to purchase even a Y tkt to TLV I would be paying > .10 cpm for the cheapest ElCheapo and earn all of 11k EQMs while that same $$ can bring me in well over 25K in EQMs on domestic flights

so yes a Carrier will in some way get some $ for the miles it took for the so called free tkt, but if played correctly very little at that and at times a person can walk away making some $$ eg a recent trip that cost me $200 yielded me a VDB worth $400

this is exactly why I said Full Fare passengers may have a way to change things, once a Carrier pulls up my acct they wont listen , now had I been spending say $50K to make 1K and not <$2K and others doing likewise speak up Im sure any carrier will at least look it over to see if they want to change the way they are doing something, when they pull up and see the Compaliners are either on Free tkts or heavy discounted tkts they will simply move on to the next isuue at hand. and I dont Blame them

In fact, you are admitting yourself that most of us in order to cut costs do not purchase full fares. And besides, the difference in $$$ for a full fare exceed by far 10's if not 100's of KSML F and C.
Old May 21, 2011, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HONcircle
In fact, you are admitting yourself that most of us in order to cut costs do not purchase full fares. And besides, the difference in $$$ for a full fare exceed by far 10's if not 100's of KSML F and C.
All I said was if a person expects any Carrier to listen and maybe change things, then the best way that may happen is if those complaining or inquiring are Full Fare Passengers. If the Carrier checks and sees that those asking for changes which will cost the Carrier more $$$ then if those passengers generally arent Full Fare passengers the Carrier will most likely not do anything but toss it in the circular file

It is a #s game but not the # of people complaining but $$$ that are being spent on tkts (there was athread some time ago by a guy in Panama who was miffed that his company was spending alot on tkts very yr and yet not 1 person was made a GS by UA, turned out they dont purchase Full fare nor anything but Coach). So the type of fares purchased does matter
Old May 21, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
LH as well as LX do not try to cut corners on KSML in C and F.
SA does a pretty good job in terms of KSML when it comes from South Africa. I don't remember if they provide a different meal in China for C pax. Haven't seen great KSML from Australia yet.
Don't the ex-FRA KSML's on LH come from some rather well known local restaurant that is well liked by those who keep Kosher?
Old May 21, 2011, 10:13 pm

All I said was if a person expects any Carrier to listen and maybe change things, then the best way that may happen is if those complaining or inquiring are Full Fare Passengers. If the Carrier checks and sees that those asking for changes which will cost the Carrier more $$$ then if those passengers generally arent Full Fare passengers the Carrier will most likely not do anything but toss it in the circular file

It is a #s game but not the # of people complaining but $$$ that are being spent on tkts (there was athread some time ago by a guy in Panama who was miffed that his company was spending alot on tkts very yr and yet not 1 person was made a GS by UA, turned out they dont purchase Full fare nor anything but Coach). So the type of fares purchased does matter
I'm in dissagreement. I think if the airline gets enough people complaining they'll think about it. Either way there's nothing to lose in trying!
Old May 22, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by N1120A
Don't the ex-FRA KSML's on LH come from some rather well known local restaurant that is well liked by those who keep Kosher?
From what I've seen, all ex-FRA meals come from the same place, with local kosher certification. It is liked by some and not by others. I am going to try to do my own research on it as I have a couple of ex-FRA flights coming up.

You can PM me for my qualifications on this subject.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by travellerK
From what I've seen, all ex-FRA meals come from the same place, with local kosher certification. It is liked by some and not by others. I am going to try to do my own research on it as I have a couple of ex-FRA flights coming up.

You can PM me for my qualifications on this subject.
Please keep us posted, as I am unable to find back the details of the caterer for LH flights ex-FRA.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:51 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Please keep us posted, as I am unable to find back the details of the caterer for LH flights ex-FRA.
It's the Sohar Restaurant. Excellent meals - and I'd say that if they aren't as good as the Hermolis ones then they're a dashed close second.

A very nice starter for lunch here:

Old May 23, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by FF
It's the Sohar Restaurant. Excellent meals - and I'd say that if they aren't as good as the Hermolis ones then they're a dashed close second.

A very nice starter for lunch here:

http://www.sohars-restaurant.com/www...szeiten_en.php
Opened on saturday from 12.00 to 14.00. Intresting
Old May 23, 2011, 8:40 am
Suspended

http://www.sohars-restaurant.com/www...szeiten_en.php
Opened on saturday from 12.00 to 14.00. Intresting
you can find the samething with the restaurants in Budapest,Vienna,Prague, Berlin in other words these restaurants are opened for a few hours on Shabbos for meals you must Prepay and nothing is being cooked. i would think the same is with Sohar, drop in with a CC or cash in hand and they wont take it but if they have extra food will feed you and ask that you come back after Shabbos to settle up

if they didnt show any hrs as being opened I would assume there was no way to be able to eat Lunch there on Shabbos afternoon and isnt saying they arent Shomer Shabbos but simply saying they are open for meals 12-14

Last edited by craz; Jul 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm
Old May 23, 2011, 2:16 pm

you can find the samething with thye restaurants in Budapest,Vienna,Prague, Berlin in other words these restaurants are opened for a few hours on Shabbos for meals you must Prepay and nothing is being cooked. i would think the same is with Sohar, drop in with a CC or cash in hand and they wont take it but if they have extra food will feed you and ask that you come back after Shabbos to settle up

if they didnt show any hrs as being opened I would assume there was no way to be able to eat Lunch there on Shabbos afternoon and isnt saying they arent Shomer Shabbos but simply saying they are open for meals 12-14
Got you. Should have been Dan Le Kaf Z'chut. ^
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:25 am

Just to update, I had the upgraded kosher meal made by borenstein exclusive to jfk>hkg and surprisingly it was very edible, and I wasnt unhappy. Can't remember exactly what they served for each meal as it was over a week ago, think dinner was meat, snack was a turkey sandwich and breakfast was blintzes. food was relatviely tasty.

Had hermolis on hkg>pek as a breakfast meal and shockingly, the food was inedible!!! The eggs were waterlogged and soggy and the bagel was so stale it was inedible even drenched in butter/jelly.

had hermolis pek>hkg and for breakfast at 7:40 am was served hot turkey and kishka, but it was ok so not complaining.

had hermolis hkg>jfk. I think they changed the kosher meal policy (policy was to only use upgraded meal from jfk>hkg and not on any other route or direction) for the return as it seemed to be upgraded meals. Dinner was cooked salmon course (not that great, but still nice that they had an extra course) and lamb for the main. the lamb and sides served with it were excellent! snack was turkey pastrami sandwhich which looked fine, but didn't eat it, as I didnt want to be fleishig at that point, so opted for the haagan daaz instead. breakfast was an upgraded version of what I had on hkg>pek, with more food and sides being served, however I didnt even bother trying the eggs after how bad they were previously, and once again the bagel was stale and inedible, although this time they gave a roll also which was fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.