Wiki Posts
Search

What are Goldpoints worth?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question What are Goldpoints worth?

From what I can see, there isn't too much to get excited about with Goldpoints. The exchange rate into miles is very low, and there don't seem to be any awards that justify being loyal to Radisson.

Am I overlooking something? Is there a reward that makes it worth joining Goldpoints?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Worth joining Goldpoints? Yes.

Worth doing anything more than picking up the occasional Goldpoint when you have to? No.

US Radisson properties are nothing to get excited about, many are just plain sad.

The program is unreliable and untrustworthy.

And no great awards.

I find it useful to transfer 1000 Goldpoints into 125 Northwest miles once per year as a Fly Free Faster partner. And you can earn 2000 points/yr just by changing your email address every 90 days...
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Ok that confirms my opinions. I just wanted to get the facts from those that are more familiar with the program.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Simple math for me

I only earn them and use them on Radisson cruises. Every $5000 of cruise fares = 50,000 Gold Points = $200 toward a cruise, so they are worth a 4% rebate. This is after your first cruise where the Gold Point earning rate is 1/2. Nothing to get excited about, but better than nothing. Speaking of nothing...that's how many Gold Points you get if you book a "2 for 1" cruise fare.

Last edited by Portolan; Aug 13, 2005 at 5:32 pm
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Well I only joined GP because of that 2500 AA miles promo, and since you can't double-dip I won't be earning points.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Well I only joined GP because of that 2500 AA miles promo, and since you can't double-dip I won't be earning points.
Actually you can to a degree.
For instance you can book online and earn the 1 k bonus and or the first time online check in for 2k.
You then claim miles to be sent to American just as you did at check in from the hotel for the Stayto AA promo by not taking GoldPoints for the stay.
But no you can't earn GoldPoints for the stay itself and miles for the stay.
Have I confused you yet?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gleff
Worth joining Goldpoints? Yes.

Worth doing anything more than picking up the occasional Goldpoint when you have to? No.

US Radisson properties are nothing to get excited about, many are just plain sad.
The program is unreliable and untrustworthy.

And no great awards.

I find it useful to transfer 1000 Goldpoints into 125 Northwest miles once per year as a Fly Free Faster partner. And you can earn 2000 points/yr just by changing your email address every 90 days...

This has been my experience with Goldpoints exactly.They are extremely unreliable-points rarely post without extensive intervention on my part.Radisson gets my business only when there are few other options
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
Letter from "Customer Relationship Management"

I got a form letter from Tony H. Hart, Senior Managing Director of Customer Relationship Management, pumping the goldpoints plus program, and asking for feedback about the program. Naturally, I emailed him immediately with my well-worn complaints about the lack of value and the crummy conversion rates to frequent flyer miles. No response, so far. If anyone is interested in piling on, his email address is [email protected].
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:33 pm

Thumbs up Helpful feedback said politely is always good

Originally Posted by haruspex
I got a form letter from Tony H. Hart, Senior Managing Director of Customer Relationship Management, pumping the goldpoints plus program, and asking for feedback about the program. Naturally, I emailed him immediately with my well-worn complaints about the lack of value and the crummy conversion rates to frequent flyer miles. No response, so far. If anyone is interested in piling on, his email address is [email protected].
Don't expect a happy elated response. Or an improved program
But at least you delivered the truth.Care to share the comments with us?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Red face

I got a form letter from Tony H. Hart, Senior Managing Director of Customer Relationship Management, pumping the goldpoints plus program, and asking for feedback about the program.
If it's not too much trouble can you post the letter(or the parts that hype Goldpoints)?

I would really like to see how someone would spin this program.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Aug 24, 2005 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Red face

---duplicate---
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:15 pm

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
letter from goldpointsplus

Since I'm pretty inept with this attachment stuff, and can't get my email server to recover my email response, I will transcribe the letter I received in its entirety. Way too much time on my hands:

Dear Haruspex:

On behalf of goldpoints plus, thank you for your loyalty to the Carlson Hotels brands.

Like you, I travel extensively and have earned Elite status in goldpoints plus and several other hotel loyalty programs. As Elite members, we expect hotels to recognize us as their most valuable guests, and to go above and beyond to make us feel special. This is where goldpoints plus excels, offering bigger bonuses and more rewards than any other hotel company.

I was recruited to join Carlson Hotels specifically to help create a new guest loyalty program, one that focused on building relationships. Being a frequent traveler and having worked on the development and management of three other industry-leading hotel loyalty programs, I understood the expectations of today's global travelers. To meet and even exceed these expectations, we added firsthand knowledge to extensive competitive and consumer research in designing our new program.

While the word is still getting out about goldpoints plus, including the wide array of award choices that put you in charge of your rewards, I'm happy to see Elite members like you already enjoying the many benefits. For all the time you spend away from home, enduring the "glamorous" life of travel, you should get something in return. With goldpoints plus, that something extra is assured, especially for you, our Elite members.

In addition to your hotel stays, Elite bonuses and the 1000-point online booking bonus, you can rack up Gold Points by shopping through our online retailers in the Gold Points Reward Network. This unique benefit allows you to get the rewards you want while shopping with over 100 leading retailers that most of us use all the time. So even when you're not staying with us, you're growing your account balance to more quickly reach your next redemption - a well-deserved vacation, merchandise award or even a gift certificate. Find out more about this exciting earning advantage when you visit goldpointsplus.com.

If we are earning your respect, I hope you will tell your friends and colleagues about our hotels and the advantages of goldpoints plus. If you have questions or suggestions about how we might improve our loyalty program, you can drop me an email at [email protected]. Like you, I may be on the road so I may not respond immediately, but I will get back to you directly or share the information or response in an upcoming letter.

As we head toward fall, I wish you safe travels and a good night's sleep while you're away from home.

Warmest regards,

Tony H. Hart
Sr. Managing Director
Customer Relationship Management
Carlson Hotels Worldwide

I wonder if this is the guy responsible for the degradation of last year's change from a fairly good reward program to the current abomination.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Red face

haruspex,

Thanks for posting that.

He doesn't seem to go too far overboard in hype, but he had to be laughing out loud as he typed that.

"This is where goldpoints plus excels, offering bigger bonuses and more rewards than any other hotel company."

That's stretching things a bit.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:11 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I too received Hart's letter and had a nice chuckle before round filing it.

Back to the O.P.: Based on a very complicated econometric model, which is likely far too erudite for the average FT reader, I have concluded that Goldpoints have no value in Oz or Tahiti, because they cannot be redeemed in those countries.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:22 pm

Actually I am far more interested in your comments you sent to GoldPoints then his letter.I received the same letter as you.Except when I called Gpoints they said I wasn't elite.
Not that I even blinked.Who cares? Many of the hotels are still more confused then the customers on what the program consists of.
Clueless.Thanks for taking the time to post the letter for others to see.
Its entertaining to be polite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.