Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Kids seated separately to parents on second sector

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

I’ve just checked in for a QR flight, was given no seat selection options for our connecting flight from DOH and have found all 4 in my party, including my 2 daughters (7 & 10), have been seated apart, with no option to amend this, even through paying.

I assume this is due to US departures not being able to check in until 24 hours post other places, so everything was taken.

I don’t mind all 4 of us not being together, I would like a parent to be with each child though.

Is this something that will be easily resolved at the airport, or is this standard practice on QR?

If so, will they have the power to do it at BOS for the connecting flight? I don’t want to be fobbed off and be told to queue to speak to someone in DOH, if they should be able to fix it in BOS
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I'd say nothing and just swap with one of the children.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC
If children are not sat adjacent to a parent then I would make the point that it's not acceptable from a common sense child supervision point of view.

When you can, make your case with the BOS station manager to communicate with DOH and get them to improve the situation whilst you are in the air.
Cap'n Benj and AJNEDC like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grantosol
I'd say nothing and just swap with one of the children.
Not sure this will help given no one is sat next to each other!
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is a single PNR with 4 pax. Or are they separate bookings?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
This is a single PNR with 4 pax. Or are they separate bookings?
It’s a single ticket. We’re all on the same PNR.

Interestingly I’ve just noticed that the seat numbers are all in the 60s/70s, which suggests an A380, when a 777 (I believe 200) was originally planned.

If so makes it even more bizarre they were unable to find 2 sets of 2 seats together
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
I've noticed this trend on budget airlines. Put people on the same booking in completely different rows, and then when checking in, charge an exorbitant amount to be seated together.

Maybe this is a new way by QR to force people to pay upfront for seat selection.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kl1987
I've noticed this trend on budget airlines. Put people on the same booking in completely different rows, and then when checking in, charge an exorbitant amount to be seated together.

Maybe this is a new way by QR to force people to pay upfront for seat selection.
I didn’t bother paying as half the plane was unassigned, so I assumed there would be no need.

We were assigned 4 seats together on the 1st sector from the US, so I suspect it’s due to allowing European flights to check in 24 hours prior to those from the US and those were all assigned first.

It’s interesting that they’ve allowed a 7 year old girl to sit on her own though. An issue as much for the pax next to her as her herself I fear!
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, EY Silver, Jumeirah One Gold, GHA Discovery Titanium, Sixt Diamond
QR are one of the increasing number of airlines that aren't interested in ensuring children are sat next to an adult. Etihad are the same amongst others I can think of. BA to their credit, one of the few good things I can find to say about BA, would ensure that the child (up to age of 12) was seated next to an adult.

You can try calling QR and pleading with them, depending on the agent you get they may at least accommodate to sit each child next to 1 of the adults in your bookings, but it really depends on the agent you get and the availability of seats not paid for/specifically selected by other customers.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:47 am

Unlikely they will do anything until you check in - as some seats may open up by that time. If not resolved try again in Doha. If that fails ask politely on board - there are always some willing passengers is my experience.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

To wrap this up, I have been able to secure a middle 4 on the 777 before I got to the airport, after speaking with a friend with connections to ground handling at BOS.

I assume it would have been solved as easily at the airport with little fuss, it’s amazing in this day and age that there are not automated ways to best manage these situations, as it can cause undue stress that does not reflect well on the airline, before that stress is then transferred to employees too.

…unless of course it is the conspiratorial cash grab! I guess even reading a few experiences like this may encourage a few to part with a couple of hundred bucks in seat fees!
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:56 am

I heard of this issue with Qatar. We are travelling with 9 year son and were worried to take a chance. So, paid little over $500 extra for 4 segment seat selections. I wouldn’t pay on a flight such as YYZ to FLL but these are really long flight to be seated separately. Sucks to pay that much though.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:24 pm

W had the same issue with no chance to get a seat together. Finally asked the pax next to our child if she could move. Friendly she accepted. It was a real pain in discussing that topic with couple of QR reps beforehand
Traveller999 and Cap'n Benj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.