Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Jet Blue with avios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by davidingotham
Lots of availability when I checked just after Midnight this morning but now can't find any JetBlue flight in any class. Are others experiencing this also? I suspect it has been pulled pending the addition of fees or some other undesirable change.
It could be that QR is eliminating fees that they are not supposed to charge. Reportedly, QR was charging $10.10 in fees for a one-way JetBlue redemption departing the U.S. Presumably, that would be the $5.60 September 11 Security Fee (proper), and the $4.50 Passenger Facility Charge (improper). PFCs should not be collected on "zero-fare" tickets, and an award ticket with no carrier surcharges is considered a zero-fare ticket.
nk15 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:19 am

I spoke with several CSRs trying to sort a reservation that I made that converted into a service request. The most recent info that I got was that award tickets on JetBlue cannot be booked due to "technical issues." They reiterated that there is currently NO way to book, both online and offline. No ETA on the fix, fingers crossed redemption rates hold steady.
nk15 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpTouchDown
I spoke with several CSRs trying to sort a reservation that I made that converted into a service request. The most recent info that I got was that award tickets on JetBlue cannot be booked due to "technical issues." They reiterated that there is currently NO way to book, both online and offline. No ETA on the fix, fingers crossed redemption rates hold steady.
Could I ask what your service request is? Do you mean that you tried to book and it needed human intervention to finalize? I'm trying to figure out what this all might mean for those who have already booked. I was able to book and view my reservation on JetBlue already, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear no matter what happens, but who knows.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zolor23
Could I ask what your service request is? Do you mean that you tried to book and it needed human intervention to finalize? I'm trying to figure out what this all might mean for those who have already booked. I was able to book and view my reservation on JetBlue already, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear no matter what happens, but who knows.
Do you already have a ticket number for your reservation?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you already have a ticket number for your reservation?
Interesting question actually - the Qatar Airways receipt email I received has a ticket number that seems to match up with JetBlue's usual ticketing scheme (13 digit number). When I check JetBlue's website, it also says 'Ticketed' under my reservation. However, when I scroll down to my name (see photo), it has a line that says "eTicket: Add TrueBlue or frequent flyer number" so I'm not sure JetBlue themselves has a record of that ticket number for me. I'm not sure how that line is supposed to look on a fully ticketed confirmation screen. As you can see, I could choose my seat, but Qatar also didn't pass on basic information like DOB or gender.

Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:15 am

The Qatar website allowed me to book online, but then diverted the booking to a service request which required intervention by a Qatar CSR. If you are already ticketed you are likely in the clear (at least I'd think!)
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:31 pm

Update: I was able to successfully book and have my itinerary confirmed and ticketed, albeit at an increased cost (both miles and surcharges). AMS -> JFK was 78k Avios plus ~$80 in surcharges. Still beat the cash fair by a fairly large margin. Some routes still aren't appearing, but quite a few are now bookable both online and offline.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: I was able to successfully book and have my itinerary confirmed and ticketed, albeit at an increased cost (both miles and surcharges). AMS -> JFK was 78k Avios plus ~$80 in surcharges. Still beat the cash fair by a fairly large margin. Some routes still aren't appearing, but quite a few are now bookable both online and offline.
Any idea what the domestic (U.S.) redemption rates look like in Economy?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Any idea what the domestic (U.S.) redemption rates look like in Economy?
I haven't checked extensively but it looks like SEA -> BOS is 18,500 in Econ + $10.10 in surcharges. Mint is going for 74k + $10.10 in surcharges. LAX -> BOS/JFK was the same. Interestingly, Mint availability appeared much more frequently in my cursory searches than Econ.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't checked extensively but it looks like SEA -> BOS is 18,500 in Econ + $10.10 in surcharges. Mint is going for 74k + $10.10 in surcharges. LAX -> BOS/JFK was the same. Interestingly, Mint availability appeared much more frequently in my cursory searches than Econ.
Thanks!

That's no bargain for Economy. It's possible that there's better award-seat available with B6 than with AS, but when the AS nonstop is available, look what BAEC charges:

And as you can see, unlike QR, BA does not improperly collect the $4.50 U.S. PFC on domestic redemptions, which are free of carrier surcharges.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
No bro, they changed the BOS-DUB from 38k to 78k avios bro, this is beyond stupid bro, and they did not even fix the $10 fee bro......

Last edited by nk15; Nov 12, 2023 at 6:09 pm
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:05 am

Question

Originally Posted by Zolor23
Interesting question actually - the Qatar Airways receipt email I received has a ticket number that seems to match up with JetBlue's usual ticketing scheme (13 digit number). When I check JetBlue's website, it also says 'Ticketed' under my reservation. However, when I scroll down to my name (see photo), it has a line that says "eTicket: Add TrueBlue or frequent flyer number" so I'm not sure JetBlue themselves has a record of that ticket number for me. I'm not sure how that line is supposed to look on a fully ticketed confirmation screen. As you can see, I could choose my seat, but Qatar also didn't pass on basic information like DOB or gender.

I noticed the same thing. No baggage information, no passenger information and can't associate a frequent flyer number. I was able to book the transatlantic fare fro 60K avios. Just spoke to JetBlue, they confirmed the ticket but were unable to update the frequent flyer number and other information.
Zolor23 - were you able to update this information ?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by fermos_06
I noticed the same thing. No baggage information, no passenger information and can't associate a frequent flyer number. I was able to book the transatlantic fare fro 60K avios. Just spoke to JetBlue, they confirmed the ticket but were unable to update the frequent flyer number and other information.
Same here, booked two one-way tix in mint over the past few days using QR avios, JFK-LGW and LGW-JFK. Chatted with Jetblue agents in the app and they were able to add TrueBlue number so the reservations show up in my trips on Jetblue website and app. Chat agent was also able to request a special meal, and confirmed the tix were ticketed and are valid. You may have just gotten a rep that wasn't knowledgeable in how update the FF number and info. I got a dud myself who said I'd have to talk to QR to have them update that info, but other jetblue agents handled it fine without issue.

Interestingly, I'm playing around with QR's website now and it's not showing availability on the NYC-LON routes where expertflyer says there is a lot of I (mint) class avail. It's working on JFK-CDG though, haven't tested other routes. EDIT: Looks like it's back showing properly now

Last edited by darkice81; Nov 21, 2023 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by darkice81
Same here, booked two one-way tix in mint over the past few days using QR avios, JFK-LGW and LGW-JFK. Chatted with Jetblue agents in the app and they were able to add TrueBlue number so the reservations show up in my trips on Jetblue website and app. Chat agent was also able to request a special meal, and confirmed the tix were ticketed and are valid. You may have just gotten a rep that wasn't knowledgeable in how update the FF number and info. I got a dud myself who said I'd have to talk to QR to have them update that info, but other jetblue agents handled it fine without issue.

Interestingly, I'm playing around with QR's website now and it's not showing availability on the NYC-LON routes where expertflyer says there is a lot of P class avail. It's working on JFK-CDG though, haven't tested other routes.
Originally Posted by fermos_06
Oh yes, sorry for not updating! I did figure out how to get the reservation to show up on my account and choose seats, but I don't think I can add a frequent flyer number. I didn't see a point to do that as I assume this wouldn't be points earning anyway.

If you look at the PDF in the email Qatar Airways should've sent you with the title "Your Electronic Receipt" - there are two booking reference numbers on the top left. The bottom of the two should say "B6/XXXXXX" - use the six digit number as the confirmation code to plug into the Jetblue website and it should populate the trip. The only thing you can really do is choose seats from that page, but that was the most important thing for me.

EDIT: I just messaged a rep to add frequent flyer number b/c why not and the rep. said my ticket (Mint) did not include checked bags. Not sure if that's true or the rep was mistaken.

Last edited by Zolor23; Nov 21, 2023 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:32 am

Close in booking not reasonably possible?

I used the ITA matrix site to find two I Class JetBlue mint award seats from LAX to MIA in 3 days...it seems like there is no practical way to make a JB award booking if you want to travel with in 3-4 days due to the process of "requesting a reservation"... unless you are extremely flexible.. I'd welcome thoughts on this.

Separately, the QP Award desk told me just now (11/23) that even though I'm seeing 2 I Class seats , the rep is not currently able to book them due to system issues and I must select a One World carrier. Wondering if others have had recent issues securing JB domestic awards using Qatar Privilege??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.